[CircularOfJanus] December Circular

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at io.com
Sat Nov 27 15:02:56 EST 2010

Due to the inclusion of the 12 Free Days of Indy in the newsletter, it is
exceptionally long this time. I'd recommend people check out the PDF for
clickable links.

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 November 24, 2010
 Volume 31, Issue 12

Contents:
 Presidential Ponderings - Kathie Thompson
 Minutes of the November Meeting - Stephen Kendall
 Minutes of the November Board Meeting - Stephen Kendall
 Nominees for Office
 December Anniversary Party
 New Year's Eve Party
 Race for the Cure - Melissa Kocias
 Mark Your Calendars
 A Few Cool Things to Do in Indy - Lynette Cowper
 12 Free Days of Indy Christmas
 New Books - from Locus
 Answers to the November Circular
 Meeting Info & Club Officers

*****

Presidential Ponderings
 by Kathie Thompson

Hello all,

We had a very busy and fun meeting in November at the JMCC. Thanks again
to John and Wendy for setting up the meeting at the JMCC.

The December Anniversary party will be at Valley Mills Christian Church at
6pm. Hope to see everyone there. The club will be providing the meat and
everyone is asked to bring a dish. Thanks to Mike and Lynette for setting
up this location. A map with directions will be sent out by Lynette.

January will be soon be upon us. Please get your dues in before the
January meeting as so we can start the January meeting on time. Emily will
be accepting yearly dues payments at the December party and from 5-7pm the
New Year's Eve party.

Speaking of the New Year's Eve party: it will be at the Clarion again. The
room rates have actually gone down from last year. Please make your
reservations. If you have a room reservation for staying the night there
is no charge for the New Year's Eve party. Anyone not staying will be
$10.00 person. Everyone staying at the hotel or not is expected to bring a
dish to the party. Another e-mail will be going out shortly to go over the
RSVPs I have received so far.

Happy Holidays,
 Kathie Thompson,
 CoJ President

*****

Minutes of the November Meeting
 by Stephen Kendall

November 13, 2010 at 7:00pm
   at the facilities of:
   Jesus Metropolitan Community Church
   2950 East 55th Place
   Indianapolis, IN 46220

Board members in attendance:
   Andy Andrews, Chairman of the Board
   Kathie Thompson, President and InConJunction 32 ConChair
   Stephen Kendall, Secretary
   Emily Rodgers, Treasurer
   Jeff Thompson, Sergeant-at-Arms
   Mike Cowper, InConJunction 31 ConChair

Board members not in attendance:
   Lynette Cowper, Vice-President (illness)

Circle of Janus members in attendance (if attendance was taken):
   William R. "Andy" Andrews
   John Belden
   Wendy Carson
   Mike Cowper
   Anjala Dick
   Dillan Dick
   Laura Edwards
   Stephen Kendall
   Gary Kitchen
   Melissa Kocias
   Steven Marsh
   Cheryl Miller-Andrews
   Gary Plumlee
   Randy Porter
   Kent Raquet
   Emily Rodgers
   Tracey Rollison
   Michael Suess
   Jeff Thompson
   Kathie Thompson

Guests introduced:
   none

Call the meeting to order:
   Called to order at 7:00pm by Jeff.

Communications:
   Reading of the last meeting's minutes: The minutes from the October
meeting were passed out.

Treasurer's report:
   Emily gave the Treasurer's Report.
   Additional details are available in the members-only addendum to the
newsletter.

InConJunction 31 Convention Report:
   We are having a convention.
   A number of the guests Mike has invited have not responded.
   The Author GoH Catherine Asaro suggested musician Donald Wolcott, who
worked on the soundtrack for her last book.
   Pending final steps, he will be the music GoH.
   Mike has one or two featured guests. He is waiting to hear from his
Artist GOH.
   Mike is looking at rearranging the function space.

InConJunction 32 Convention Report:
   We are having a convention.
   Kathie will have a contract for Paul Taylor at the Board Meeting on
Tuesday.
   Kathie has sent an email to Jim Butcher's agent, but has not heard back
from her.
   She has heard about a person who does projections for fantastic events
(e.g., what would happen if there was a zombie invasion) and will be
contacting him.

Member Services:
   Has been sending out cards.
   Anjala asked the group for their opinion on sending out holiday cards.
There were no objections to the holiday aspect, per se. Jeff, however,
felt that sending cards to friends of the club and convention made more
sense than sending them to the members.
   Jeff considered the consensus to be that nobody wanted to spend the
money on holiday cards, but that something would be sent out by email.

Member Activities:
   We are still working on a location for the December anniversary party.
   If all else fails, it will be at the Thompson House.
   [This has since been resolved and will be at Valley Mills Christian
Church. See the article below. -- LRFC]
   Regarding the New Year's party at the Clarion, the hotel has lowered
room rates to $64.
   The email regarding that has been sent and will be resent.
   This will be our 11th year at the Clarion. The party rooms that we use
normally rents for $250, but if we make our room nights we only pay
$50. There is no charge to attend the New Year's party for those who
get rooms.

Minutes:
   Jeff moved that we accept the meeting minutes as published [I would
take this to mean the minutes as printed and distributed, as they
didn't make the Circular-- LRFC]. Andy seconded. The motion carried.
   Dues-paying members were reminded to sign the attendance sheet, as a
vote was to be taken tonight.
   Kathie thanked John and Wendy for working with JMCC to allow us to meet
her tonight. Kathie will follow up with the church to see if this can
become our permanent home.

Board report:
   None.

Other communications:
   None.

Old Business:
   Bylaws Changes:
      The "Replace 4B" section was read by Kathie from the October
minutes. Kathie then explained this change; it gives the Chairman
some actual responsibilities. The members voted to make the change;
there were no Nays.
      The "Paragraph 4H" change was read. It was moved Andy and seconded
by Jeff. The members voted to make the change; there were no Nays.
      The "Proposed change in Paragraph 4H" section was read by Jeff. The
members voted to make the change; there were no Nays.
      The "Proposed to be added to Paragraph 5B" section was read by Jeff.
Kathie elaborated on this proposal. Emily asked why the Board was to
be responsible for providing SOPs. Jeff responded that the Board is
responsible for making sure SOPs happen, not providing them. It was
pointed out that we have been trying to get this done since Judy
Eudaly's last convention at the Adam's Mark. [Secretary's note: The
last time Judy Eudaly was ConChair was in 1992, which was indeed at
the Adam's Mark.] Steven Marsh asked what the consequences were if
this wasn't done; Kathie said that the members would be holding the
officers accountable. Andy said that, realistically, we would not
get all the SOPs written by the 2011 convention. Randy Porter called
the question. The members voted to make the change; there was one
Nay. Emily Rodgers was asked if she minded being recorded as the
sole Nay; she did not mind.
      The "Replace 5C" section was read by Jeff. Steven Marsh pointed out
that no hierarchy is established for the duties of the Chairman to
devolve to other officers should the Chairman be temporarily unable
to perform them. Andy and others felt that those duties would
naturally devolve to the President. The members voted to make the
change; there were no Nays.
      The "Proposed change in Paragraph 6A" section was read by Jeff.
Steven Marsh asked if it was documented when the Chairman elections
would be held. Mike Cowper said it had just been running every two
years since the Chairman position was introduced. Kathie called the
question. The members voted to make the change; there were no Nays.
      The "Proposed change in Paragraph 6E" section was read by Jeff.
Kathie invited discussion. The members voted to make the change;
there were no Nays.
      The "Proposed change in Paragraph 6F" section was read by Andy and
Jeff. Kathie invited discussion. The members voted to make the
change; there were no Nays.
      The "Proposed change to Paragraph 6 and New Paragraph 7" section was
presented. Kathie invited discussion. The members voted to make the
change; there were no Nays.
      The "Proposed change to Paragraph 5A" section was read by Andy and
Jeff. Kathie invited discussion. The members voted to make the
change; there were no Nays.
      The "Proposed change and additions to Paragraph 7 (now 8)" section
was read by Andy and Jeff. Kathie invited discussion. Emily asked
for a definition of "proxy vote". Steven Marsh asked if there was a
deadline for absentee ballots; the deadline is the meeting, he was
told. Dillan Dick said he is going back to Iraq in March and
questioned whether any of the provided procedures would work for
him. There was an extensive discussion of why we don't allow proxy
voting (it would allow members to walk around with proxies in their
pockets, quite likely swaying elections). Randy Porter called the
question. The members voted to make the change; there were no Nays.
      The bylaws changes were concluded.

   Elections:
      The current ConChair nominees were reviewed. Randy questioned
whether people can be nominated by email (i.e., how do such
nominations make the minutes). [They make the minutes by the
Secretary or Editor including a note, like this one, that so-and-so
was nominated via email. -- LRFC] Melissa Kocias was renominated and
seconded.
      The current nominees for Chairman were reviewed. Andy Andrews accepted.
      The current nominees for President were reviewed. There were no
additional nominations.
      The current nominees for Vice-President were reviewed. Dillan
nominated Anjala Dick. Emily Rodgers seconded. Anjala Dick accepted.
Mike Cowper declined. Lynette Cowper accepted in the Circular.
[Actually, I accepted at the last meeting. -- LRFC] Kathie Thompson
accepted.
      The current nominees for Secretary were reviewed. Emily Rodgers
nominated Laura Edwards. Dillan Dick seconded. Laura Edwards
accepted.
      The current nominees for Treasurer were reviewed. Emily Rodgers
announced that Kent Raquet was eligible. Kathie now has an
eligibility list. Kent Raquet accepted.
      The current nominees for Sergeant-at-Arms were reviewed. It was
noted that, notwithstanding the minutes, Dillan Dick had declined at
the October meeting. Also notwithstanding the minutes, it was noted
that Ricky Lile had accepted at the last meeting. Additionally, at
the October meeting it was Mike Suess who nominated nominated Mike
Cowper.
      Randy Porter asked if this closes nominations for ConChair. It was
pointed out that nominations could still come in by email. Emily
pointed out that write-in candidates are allowed for any office. It
was suggested that Paragraph 6C will be a topic of concern for next
year's Bylaws Caucus.
      Nominations were tabled.

   More Bylaws Changes:
      Paragraph 6C was discussed. Kathie proposed a change in Paragraph 6,
Section 6:
      Currently it reads "Write-in candidates are allowed for any office."
      Proposed change: "Write-in candidates are allowed for any office
except ConChair."
      Emily Rodgers and Steven Marsh moved to insert the word "not" after
"Write-in candidates are" instead.
      Emily and Randy Porter moved to just strike Paragraph 6, Section C.
[I believe by state law there has to be something in the Bylaws on
write-in votes. -- LRFC]
      The Emily Rodgers / Steven Marsh proposal carried: "Write-in
candidates are not allowed for any office." [This will have to be
officially voted on at the January election as, by our Constitution
and Bylaws, amendments have to be published in the newsletter before
they can be voted on. -- LRFC]

New Business:
   CoJ Table at InConJunction:
      Emily asked that each member of the Board separately man the CoJ
table at InConJunction for one hour per office they hold. Emily is
raising this now so that prospective officers will know what is
expected of them.

   November Board Meeting on Tuesday the 16th:
      Andy asked what should be discussed at the next Board meeting. He
asked for people to send him emails. He did not promise the topics
would be discussed.
      Kathie re-announced the meeting: Tuesday at 7pm at Midwest Internet.

Announcements:
   Mike C for the Vice President: Feed the kitty!
   Kathie: The Thompson family will be getting a new member next month: a
year-old Belgian Tervuran dog named Caton. The Thompsons will be a
four-dog household.
   Dillan: Returning to Iraq in March (Texas in January). Has a notepad to
collect addresses, since he does not know his Iraqi address yet. He
wants paper letters so he can take them out and reread them when having
a bad day.
   Melissa Kocias: Beckie, Roxie, and Melissa have started The League of
Extraordinary Gentlegeeks, a Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure team.
Melissa stated that their approach would be better described as "Mosey
for the Cure". She invites any and all geeks to join her team.
   John Belden: The people behind the play Cabaret Poe are putting on
another show that started yesterday: Perry Haughter and the Magical
Musical. There as a link at the Q Artistry site.
   Mike Cowper: His church is having a Christmas dinner theater. Mike is
acting in it, and Lynette is directing.
   Emily Rodgers: Start saving your $15 for January. She will be accepting
dues at the New Years party from 5pm - 7pm.
   Kathie Thompson: The Webmaster will send a link to all current members
allowing them to pay by PayPal.

Chaos occurred at 8:15pm.

Respectfully submitted,
   Stephen Kendall, Secretary

*****

Minutes of the November Board Meeting
 by Stephen Kendall

Circle of Janus, Inc.
   Minutes of the Board of Directors
   November 16, 2010, 7:00pm

at the facilities of:
   Midwest Internet
   5348 N. Tacoma Ave
   Indianapolis, IN 46220

Board members in attendance:
   Andy Andrews, Chairman of the Board
   Kathie Thompson, President & InConJunction 32 ConChair
   Lynette Cowper, Vice-President
   Stephen Kendall, Secretary
   Emily Rodgers, Treasurer
   Jeff Thompson, Sergeant-at-Arms
   Mike Cowper, InConJunction 31 ConChair

Board members not in attendance:
   None

Circle of Janus members in attendance (if attendance was taken):
   Anjala Dick
   Dillan Dick

Guests introduced:
   None

Call the meeting to order:
   Jeff called the meeting to order at 7:03pm.

Reading of the last meeting's minutes:
   The Secretary summarized the September Board minutes. The September
Board minutes were approved as published, except that Pam Easterday was
to be listed as a member, not a guest.

Communications:
   Treasurer's Report:
      Kathie said Emily has closed the books without having detailed
information from the Art Show, and that needs to be discussed with
Emily when she arrives at the Board Meeting. Kathie thinks Emily has
requested this information from Wendy. If Emily has still not
received it, Kathie wants Andy to talk to Wendy.
      Kathie bought things for the After-the-Con Bash, and Emily has lost
the receipt. Kathie is willing to make it a donation, but she wants
them recorded as such.

   Member Services:
      Cards are going out. She needs to get with Mike to discuss the
holiday email that will go out.

   Other Communications:
      Jeff reported that all we've gotten is the occasional spam.

Old business:
   Promotions:
      The Rob Pyatt issue is taken care of.
      Dillan is going to print fliers for Starbase Indy and send us the bill.

   InConJunction 31:
      Mike has contacted some of the Featured Guests for his convention,
and will contact the others.
      Mike contacted several potential guests who have declined or not
responded. In particular, Catherine Asaro has suggested Donald
Wolcott, who does music with her (e.g., the soundtrack from her most
recent novel). Mike has heard second-hand that he has accepted, but
needs to hear it from him.
      The ConCom discussed rearranging function space, and Mike will have
more ideas for the next ConCom.
      Role players may be off in their own quiet gaming room.
      We are looking at ideas for fancy badge holders or cups to give to
people who preregister.
      Emily is supposed to be emailing Mike a detailed budget from last
year, including what was spent; Mike expects it any day.

   InConJunction 32:
      2012 has an artist guest, Paul Taylor. Has sent Jim Butcher's agent
an email, but hasn't heard back. Lynette advised that he is cool,
but hard to get.

   Bylaws Changes:
      The proposed Bylaws changes passed at the November Business Meeting
with only one no vote. There is a new Bylaws change proposed to
disallow write-in votes.

   Meeting Space:
      Kathie is working with the leaders of JMCC regarding the new meeting
space. She has emailed and will follow up with a phone call.

   Treasurer's Report:
      Emily reported that nothing has changed since the November business
meeting except that Steven Marsh has paid his $15 dues for 2011.

   Storage:
      5'x10' climate controlled storage unit is $82 per month with the
first month free. If we check within a three mile radius and find
cheaper storage, we get that price.
      Currently we have a 5'x5' room for $34 per month.
      The items that might go into storage were listed, including:
Registration boxes, Art Show cash register, and the Art Show
standards. Andy noted that not all items need climate control; would
it be cheaper to have one uncontrolled and one controlled? Jeff
thought it wouldn't be cheaper and Emily felt that everything is
better stored in climate controlled space (paper quality, vermin
control, etc.).
      The proposed location is near 86th and Michigan. Andy asked why not
get one closer to the Marriott. Kathie and Emily felt that they are
the most frequent ones to access the storage. There was much
discussion of how and when the storage might be accessed for CoJ
meetings (projectors and screens). Emily felt that more than one
person needed a key, including the Registration and ConSuite
persons, the President, and the Conchair. Jeff felt that so many
keys did not need to be floating around. Anjala pointed out that
storage unit keys can be odd and expensive.
      Jeff asked if we had insurance. Emily said our insurance doesn't
cover our stored goods. Kathie asked Emily to send her the name and
number of our insurance agent, but it turned out to be Andy's
homeowners agent.
      We have our current storage unit until the end of December.
      Emily wants our new storage to be under the corporate name as
opposed to an individual (currently Tony Patterson).
      Andy summarized that we will be looking for cost competitive storage
near the Marriott.

   Art Show Finances:
      We moved on to the Art Show finances. Emily has all the figures for
what we took in in cash at the con and what she was given as checks.
      Wendy has paperwork for every artist and what they paid. Emily has
emailed Wendy several times asking for copies of that and has not
received it. Emily does not know if additional money was taken in
for other things. Andy will contact Wendy.
      Kathie does not feel we can close the books until we have that
information. Emily will write a deviation to our closing statements
if necessary.
      Emily wants the artist control sheets for all the artists. Jeff
asked if we can get contact information for all the artists.
      As Andy drafted an email to Wendy, Kathie asked that Kat Robertson,
Emily, and Mike Cowper be copied on the email. Due to persistent
problems with CoJ emails not reaching Wendy's accounts, John Belden
will be copied on the email as well.

   After-the-Con Bash:
      Kathie again asked that it be noted that they paid for the
After-the-Con Bash, and how much they paid.

   Anniversary Party:
      We moved on to the December anniversary party. In some past years
the CoJ Christmas and the Quantum Christmas has been combined on the
third Saturday. Doing that this year again was discussed.

   501(c)(3):
      Lynette has investigated 501(c)(3) status. It requires filling out a
very long form, but it seems like we qualify.
      Emily suggested that we get a paralegal to fill out the forms. Mike
suggested Midwest Internet's corporate lawyer. Emily will reach out
to her contacts for a legal professional. Jeff suggested reaching
out to George Starkey for a recommendation.

   Purchases Needed:
      Dillan can get totes for us at Lowes at a discount.
      There is a good chance that WB's Pizza will go in half on laynards
if it says WB's on one side and InConJunction on the other.

New Business:
   Starbase Indy and Survey Forms:
      Judy has asked if we object to Starbase Indy using our survey form.
In the interest of helping to improve relations between the clubs,
there was no objection.
      Andy asked if there was an easy way to get access to the 2010
convention surveys. Mike knows where they all are. Tabulating the
results was discussed. Mike has started working on an online survey.
Once that works, we should be able to keep year-to-year results. It
was suggested that we extract endorsements from the surveys for the
website. Lynette requested that we ask survey questions regarding
program and pocket program separately.

   Future Meeting Agendas, Parties, and Other Plans:
      Andy asked if we need to meet again before the election. Kathie said
we have all the SOPs except Conchair and Secretary. Lynette proposed
having a general Board SOP (e.g., Internet registration renewal
dates, corporate status renewal date).
      Kathie proposed having the CoJ/Quantum party on the second weekend
in December at Kathie's house, unless Lynette's church was
available. The Board would meet one hour before the party. There
were objections to attempting to have a Board Meeting in the hectic
hour before the party at Kathie's house.
      Andy proposed meeting on the 2nd Tuesday of December instead. It was
agreed to have a Board Meeting at 7pm on Tuesday December 14, 2010
at Midwest Internet.
      By the next meeting we will have storage unit information, and
should have information from Wendy regarding Art Show. We should
have more information about getting 501(c)(3) status. We will
discuss the January meeting place and how things are coming along
for the election. We should have an email address for the election
officer.
      Kathie has decided to appoint Kat Robertson as the election officer.
      Emily apologized for being late.

Announcements:
   None.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:19pm.

Respectfully submitted,
   Stephen Kendall, Secretary

*****

Nominees for Office

ConChair for InConJunction 33 (2013)
   Cheryl Miller-Andrews (not yet accepted/declined)
   Lynette Cowper
   Melissa Kocias
   Jeff Thompson
   [Kat Robertson (declined)]

Chairman of the Board
   Andy Andrews
   Dave Henninger

President
   Lynette Cowper
   Kathie Thompson
   [Mike Cowper (declined)]
   [Kat Robertson (declined)]

Vice President
   Lynette Cowper
   Anjala Dick
   Kathie Thompson
   [Mike Cowper (declined)]
   [Kat Robertson (declined)]

Secretary
   Megan Cowper
   Laura Edwards
   [Anjala Dick (declined)]
   [Stephen Kendall (declined)]
   [Ricky Lile (declined)]

Treasurer
   Kent Raquet
   Emily Rodgers

Sergeant-At-Arms
   Mike Cowper (not yet accepted/declined)
   Anjala Dick (not yet accepted/declined)
   Ricky Lile
   Jeff Thompson
   [Megan Cowper (declined)]
   [Dillan Dick (declined)]

*****

December Anniversary Party

   Place: Valley Mills Christian Church
   5555 Kentucky Ave.
   Indianapolis, IN 46221
   Date: Saturday, December 11th
   Time: 6:00 (set-up is at 5:00 for anyone who wants to come decorate)

The CoJ buys the meat, as well as providing cups, plates, plasticware,
etc. Everyone else brings a side dish, finger food, or dessert to pitch
in. Feel free to bring games as well.

We have access to plenty of tables, chairs, ice, and a refrigerator and
freezer. We even have a stage, which may or may not still have the set
from the play the weekend before. We will have to be sure to clean up our
mess-- wash any of the church's dishes we use, empty the fridge and
freezer of any food we brought, put our trash in the dumpster, wipe down
tables, and sweep/mop up any mess we make-- normal 'clean up after
yourself' things.

Directions: From the Indianapolis area, you want to get yourself to the
southwest corner of I-465 and get off at exit 8 for Kentucky Avenue (state
highway 67) and go south (That's always left, regardless of whether you're
coming from the east or north). Go a couple miles, past Decatur High
School and the Flanner-Buchannan Funeral Home and you'll see it on the
left. Of course, it's a divided highway there and you can't just turn in.
Instead, you have to go past the church and make a U-turn and then head
back, where you'll see the Pleasant Heights Baptist Church and then the
turn-off for Valley Mills Christian now on your right.

If you're coming from Bloomington, Martinsville, or Mooresville, you'll
want to get yourself on 67 heading north. At some point on your journey
(depending on where you started from), you'll see Meijer, Menards, and
Walmart as you're travelling north. VMCC is about 4 miles from Walmart.
You're close when you go through the lights for the Ameriplex Parkway and
Mendenhall Road. After that, you'll see Bar-Del drive on your right, then
the Pleasant Heights Baptist Church, and then the turn- off for VMCC.

The parking lot is under the big power line towers, so when you see those
(there are three in the front yard), you're in the right place.

*****

New Year's Eve Party
 By Kathie Thompson

It's that time of year again when we start thinking about the New Year's
Eve Party. As usual, it is a pitch-in with the USS Quantum, Circle of
Janus, Indy Knights, Whoosier Network, and any other local SF clubs
invited. The manager at the Clarion has lowered the rates for us this
year. We always have a great time. For those not staying in the hotel, the
cost is $10 per person.

Please RSVP to Kathie Thompson at coj-president at inconjunction dot org
(you should know how to put those together) and let us know what you are
bringing as a side dish and if you are getting a room.

WHEN: Friday, December 31, starting at 6pm

WHERE:
Clarion Inn and Suites Northwest
7001 Corporate Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46278
(317) 298-3700

ROOM RATES:
   Standard: $62
   Minisuite: $64
   One-room whirlpool suite: $89
   VIP whirlpool suite: $135
   Presidential suite: $163

Be sure to mention that you are with the USS Quantum / Circle of Janus New
Year's Eve Party to get the lower rates.

*****

Race for the Cure
 by Melissa Kocias

I'd like to submit an invitation to everyone to join Becky's and my Race
for the Cure team for 2011 - The League of Extraordinary Gentlegeeks.
Anyone can join a team, either as a "racer"-- read: mosey-er-- we don't
run! (; -- or under the Sleep In for the Cure category (a REAL category
you can sign up for!).

Our goal is to amass a horde of finely costumed and uncostumed Geeks to
help raise money for the Komen Foundation. If you'd like to join our team
- or if you'd just like to donate, you can do so at the Komen Site.

*****

Mark Your Calendars

December 2010

   3: Whoosier Network Mtg - Jesus Metropolitan C.C.
   3: The Warrior's Way
   3-4: MDG WinterCon - Rochester, Michigan
   3-5: Rudicon - Rochester, NY
   3-5: Steel City Con - Monroeville, PA

   4: Crystal Walter's birthday
   4-5: Sangawa Project - Pittsburgh, PA

   10: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
   10-11: GameUphoria - Washington, MO

   11: CoJ Anniversary Party - Valley Mills Christian Church

   12: Wendy Carson's birthday
   12: Ash Comic Show - Ramada Inn

   13: Laura Edwards' birthday
   13-14: Geminid Meteor Shower

   14: CoJ Board Meeting - Midwest Internet

   17: The Tempest
   17: TRON: Legacy
   17-19: Bishie Con - St. Louis, MO

   19: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library

   20: Jessica Bunn's birthday

   21: Total Lunar Eclipse

   22: Gulliver's Travels

   31: Indy-area SF clubs' New Year's Eve Party - Clarion Inn and Suites
Northwest

January 2011

   3-4: Quadrantids Meteor Shower

   7: Whoosier Network Mtg - Jesus Metropolitan C.C.
   7: Season of the Witch
   7-8: ShadowCon - Memphis, TN
   7-9: GAFilk - Atlanta, GA
   7-9: Ichibancon - Charlotte, NC

   8: CoJ Meeting and Elections

   13: Robbin Speed's birthday

   14: The Green Hornet
   14-16: Chattanooga Rail Gaming Challenge - Chattanooga, TN
   14-16: DeCONPression - Worthington, OH
   14-16: MarsCon - Williamsburg, VA
   14-16: SCARAB - Columbia, SC

   15-16: Anime-Zap! - Peoria, IL

   16: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library

   21-23: Chattacon - Chattanooga, TN
   21-23: This ConFusion Not Yet Rated - Troy, MI

   22: IAS General Meeting - Holcomb Observatory

   25: Rob Pyatt's birthday

   28: The Rite
   28-30: Ohayocon - Columbus, OH
   28-30: Winter War 38 - Champaign, IL

   29: TENGAICON 6 - Manhattan, Kansas
   29-30: Setsucon - State College, PA

February 2011

   4: Whoosier Network Mtg - Jesus Metropolitan C.C.
   4-6: SuperCon - Minneapolis, MN

   5: CoJ Meeting

   6: Ren Cowper's birthday

   8: Lynette Cowper's birthday

   10-13: Capricon - Wheeling, IL
   10-14: Anime-SPARK! - Cedar Rapids, IA

   11-13: Gamicon - Iowa City, IA
   11-13: GeneriCon - Troy, NY

   18: I Am Number Four

   18-20: Anime Milwaukee - Milwaukee, WI
   18-20: Con of the North - St. Paul, MN
   18-20: ConNooga - Chattanooga, TN
   18-20: Farpoint - Baltimore, MD
   18-20: Katsucon - Washington, DC
   18-20: Naka-Kon - Kansas City, MO
   18-20: TrekTrax Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
   18-20: Visioncon - Springfield, MO

   19: IAS General Meeting - Holcomb Observatory
   19-20: Con-G - Guelph, Ontario

   20: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library

   25: Shelter
   25-27: Fire & Ice - Manitowoc, WI
   25-27: KitsuneKon - Appleton, WI
   25-27: MystiCon - Roanoke, VA

   26: Sam Thompson's birthday
   26: Fort Wayne Comic Book Convention - Fort Wayne, IN

   27: Ash Comics Con - Ramada Inn East

*****

A Few Cool Things to Do in Indy
 By Lynette Cowper

Ancestor Tales: The Old Stories of Ireland told by Niall de Burca: Niall
de Burca was raised in the wild west of Ireland; a region steeped in
Celtic myth and legend. A tradition bearer at ease telling in both Gaelic
and English, Niall is a familiar figure in Ireland telling in theatre,
radio, and television. Using his voice with a craftsman skill, Niall tells
the old stories with wonderful charm and superb timing. December 4, 7:30
PM, Indiana History Center.

Wicked: So much happened before Dorothy dropped in. Long before that girl
from Kansas arrives in Munchkinland, two girls meet in the land of Oz. One
- born with emerald green skin - is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The
other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. Dec 15 through Jan 1,
Murat Theatre.

Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition: The Indiana State Museum will pay
tribute to the legendary tragedy of the sinking of Titanic when it debuts
Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition which will showcase more than 240
artifacts recovered from the Ship's debris field, offering visitors a
poignant look at the iconic vessel and its passengers. Through Jan 16,
2011, Indiana State Museum.

*****

12 Free Days of Christmas in Indy

Monday, Dec. 13
   Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians & Western Art (10 am-5 pm): New
this year, travel west and experience the lives of four different
families. Build a totem pole, climb aboard a stagecoach or shop in a
Chinese emporium. Don't miss the Eiteljorg's brand-new holiday
experience Jingle Rails: The Great Western Adventure. Immerse yourself
as seven G gauge model trains wind past the great landmarks of
Indianapolis taking you out to great places in the West-- the Grand
Canyon, Mt. Rushmore and Old Faithful. All of these landmarks are
incredibly crafted out of natural materials (bark, twigs and nuts) in
exquisite detail. The Eiteljorg is the only museum in the Midwest to
offer an extensive collection of Western and Native American art and
artifacts. Learn about the many indigenous tribes of North America and
the diverse cultures of the West. www.eiteljorg.org

   Circle of Lights presented by the Contractors of Quality Connection and
Electrical Workers of IBEW 481: The much-loved decor includes 26
larger-than-life toy soldiers and sailors surrounding the Circle, along
with 26 peppermint sticks. Additionally, 52 garland strands with 4,784
colored lights are strung from the top of the Soldiers & Sailors
Monument to its base. The scene is complete with 90,000 twinkle lights
in trees that add shimmer to the area's walkways. The holiday display
remains lit through early January 2011. www.qc-indy.com

Tuesday, Dec. 14
   James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home (10 am-3:30 pm): Experience a
Victorian Christmas in historic Lockerbie Square with festive Christmas
greenery and wreathes. The Hoosier Poet, and author of Little Orphant
Annie (Riley), spent the last 23 years of his life in the late
Victorian preserved home that was built in 1872. The home itself
features simple, elegant decorations and small gifts and party favors
that would be typical of the period. The Christmas tree is special
because it includes actual Christmas postcards that citizens from
across the country sent to Riley after he was recovering from a stroke
in 1911. http://www.rileykids.org/about/riley_museum/

   Meredith Nicholson House (10 am-3 pm): The Indiana Humanities Council
will open its doors to the public and invite guests to tour the house
of Indiana author Meredith Nicholson. The Council, which encourages
Hoosiers to think, read and talk, will also host a variety of
humanities-inspired programs during the day. Mr. Nicholson's home was
built in 1904 and was one of the first Georgian Colonial Revival style
homes in Indy. www.IndianaHumanities.org

   Mistletoe Music Festival at the Indianapolis Artsgarden: Indianapolis
area high school and grade school choirs will get you in the spirit of
the season as they sing a variety of holiday tunes.
www.indyarts.org/artsgarden.aspx

Wednesday, Dec. 15
   Indy Wine Trail: Enjoy free tasting at each of the wineries on Indy's
Wine Trail along with a free wine glass when mentioning the promotion.

Thursday, Dec. 16
   Indianapolis Museum of Art (IMA), Oldfields-Lilly House & Gardens &
Winter Solstice (11 am-9 pm): The IMA is one of the top ten general art
museums in the USA and one of the ten oldest. Oldfields, the J. K.
Lilly, Jr. residence, will be decorated in the style of the 1930s and
1940s, when Christmas cheer often had to overcome Depression-era
budgets or wartime shortages. And of course, it's all topped off with
ice carving, musicians playing seasonal favorites, craft activities,
hot beverages and fun during the Winter Solstice celebration.
www.imamuseum.org

Friday, Dec. 17
   President Benjamin Harrison Home (10 am-3 pm): Holiday season at the
authentically-restored 1875 Italianate home of President Benjamin
Harrison, our 23rd President, features Victorian holiday adornment. The
decor includes feather trees, Harrison family toys and ornaments, plus
a replica of the first decorated White House Christmas tree – a
tradition begun in 1889 by Harrison. "Model Trains Make Tracks" is a
new special holiday exhibit of model trains, which highlights a working
HO-scale model train and scenics representing the southwest portion of
Benjamin Harrison's notable 10,000-mile cross-country train excursion
in 1891. Also, "From Bustles to Ballots" Women's Suffrage Exhibit is
featured in the reconstructed carriage house located behind the home.
www.pbhh.org

   Morris-Butler House (10 am-3 pm): This beautifully restored 1865 home
showcases the architecture, history, culture and society of
Indianapolis during the 19th century. amseum property of Historic
Landmarks Foundation of Indiana and accredited by the American
Association of Museums, it is listed in the National Register of
Historic Places. www.indianalandmarks.org

   Skating at the Indiana Fairgrounds (Noon-2 pm & 2:30-4:30 pm): Enjoy a
free skating session on Indy's premiere ice surface at the historic
Pepsi Coliseum, home of the United States Hockey League's Indiana Ice.
A great family outing before the busy-ness of the holidays, the free
sessions are noon to 2 pm and 2:30 to 4:30 pm with skate rental
available in the Pro Skate Shop. For more information, visit
http://www.in.gov/statefair/fairgrounds/skating/

Saturday, Dec. 18
   Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum (9 am- 5 pm): The
Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum is located inside the
famed 2.5-mile IMS oval made famous by the Indy 500, which celebrates
its centennial in 2011. More than 75 automobiles and motorcycles,
representing a variety of races, are on display at the Hall of Fame
Museum at all times. Many are shocked to learn the track itself is so
large that you could fit the Roman Coliseum, Vatican City, Wimbledon
Campus, Rose Bowl, Yankee Stadium and Churchill Downs inside the 2
1/2-mile oval. Since 1911, the track has been the home of the "Greatest
Spectacle in Racing," the Indianapolis 500. The Brickyard 400 has
quickly become one of NASCAR's most coveted races since the inaugural
event in 1994. And now, fans are treated to a thrilling motorcycle race
each year called the RedBull Indianapolis GP.
www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com.

   Indiana Medical History Museum (10 am-3 pm): The nation's oldest
surviving pathology laboratory, this building originally provided
physicians in the late 1800s with state-of-the-art facilities to study
mental and nervous disorders. Today, the museum uses its more than
15,000 artifacts to educate visitors about the developments which made
today's advanced medical treatments possible. www.imhm.org

   Celebrities and Santa at the Indianapolis International Airport (1-4
pm): The Indianapolis International Airport will host "Celebrities and
Santa" as part of the season's 2010 Holiday Showcase. The celebration
will include a special holiday program, photo ops, visits with Santa,
and an abundance of activities. Visitors will be invited to register to
win opportunities for merchandise and trips. Event parking will be free
with proper validation. www.indianapolisairport.com

Sunday, Dec. 19
   NCAA Hall of Champions (10 am-5 pm): The NCAA Hall of Champions will be
offering special discounts for the holidays in addition to free
admission on this date. Shop like a champion while experiencing the
lives of 400,000 student-athletes, 23 sports and 88 championships.
Spend $35 or more and get a free NCAA Vintage Final Four poster. There
will also be complimentary hot chocolate available. After your holiday
lists are complete, come explore the 1930's retro gymnasium,
interactive sport simulators, competitive gear used by student-athletes
and much more. The NCAA Hall of Champions is located in the White River
State Park just north of the Indiana Convention Center.
www.ncaahallofchampions.org

   Scottish Rite Cathedral tours (1-3 pm) and concert (7 pm): The Scottish
Rite Cathedral will offer free building tours of the beautiful
architectural landmark at 1-3 pm At 3 pm, the Indianapolis School of
Ballet will present 'The Nutcracker.' That is a paid event for which
tickets are required. Then, at 5 pm, free building tours will resume,
and continue through 7 pm At 7 pm, the Scottish Rite will present a
free Christmas Concert featuring the Scottish Rite Chorus, directed by
Darrell E. Morris, Organ selections performed by Mr. Marvin Rees and
the Scottish Rite Orchestra directed by maestro Jeffrey Warbinton. The
Scottish Rite Carillion Bells will be ringing in the spirit of the
Holiday. Mr. William Engle will be at the Carillion console. Cathedral
guests will be greeted with complementary refreshments. Parking is
secure and Free. Enter lot off North Street. Please enter the Cathedral
using the West entrance. www.aasr-indy.org

Monday, Dec. 20
   Indiana State Museum's Celebration Crossing (9 am-5 pm): Nostalgia
reigns supreme at holiday time and Celebration Crossing, the museum's
holiday exhibit, delivers on all fronts. The annual exhibit opens on
Nov. 26 with all of the much-loved traditional events, plus some new
activities sure to please visitors of all ages. Santa and Mrs. Claus
welcome children of all ages, while just outside their house the L.S.
Ayres Santa Claus Express train is open for business throughout the
exhibit from Nov. 26-Dec. 31. Kids love to ride it and you'll notice a
few adults too. Note: Timed Tickets to Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition
are available for an additional fee, with advance reservations
recommended. www.indianamuseum.org

Tuesday, Dec. 21
   Conner Prairie Interactive History Park (10 am-4 pm): The sights and
sounds of holidays past come to life with family activities inside
Conner Prairie's cozy welcome center and throughout the outdoor 1836
Prairietown. In the welcome center, guests can stroll through a
wonderland of icing, gumdrops and sprinkles atop remarkable gingerbread
creations, visit with the Gingerbread Man and a Victorian era Santa
Claus, craft a holiday decoration to take home, enjoy a theatrical
presentation, play with 19th century toys and explore Discovery
Station. Guests can also bundle up and stroll through the outdoor 1836
village of Prairietown, where they can help residents prepare for the
holidays ahead and take care of winter tasks the 19th century way, and
tour the William Conner's home. www.connerprairie.org

Wednesday, Dec. 22
   Rhythm! Discovery Center (10 am-8 pm): Indianapolis' newest downtown
attraction is a place for visitors of all ages to experience rhythm and
percussion. Explore a wide variety of percussion instruments and
artifacts from around the world through interactive exhibits and
dynamic multi-media experiences. You will learn about rhythm, its role
in society and connections to daily life. Rhythm! Discovery Center is
very hands on and invites visitors to play over 150 percussion
instruments, including an 8 foot gong drum!
www.RhythmDiscoveryCenter.org

Thursday, Dec. 23
   Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana History Center (10 am-5 pm): Step back
in time by walking through-- and into- - scenes recreated from pictures
the Indiana Historical Society's vast collections, complete with
costumed interpreters in You Are There. Settings include at a WWII-era
store, an automobile repair and fuel station and a violin maker's shop
with You Are There. Take a hi-tech walk through the past with
Destination Indiana, which includes 188 time-travel "journeys" at
touch-screen stations and several more facilitated journeys at its
22.5-by-7.5-foot cinema screen. Get a taste of how to take care of your
own family treasures with the Fortune History Lab, or enjoy the live
music of Hoosier legend Cole Porter. Also on display will be several
holiday-related covers of the Saturday Evening Post, and all things leg
lamp (a la A Christmas Story) are available in the Basile History
Market. Discover the IHS's state-of-the-art research library,
publications, educational programs, special events, gift shop and cafe,
all situated along the historic Central Canal. www.indianahistory.org

Friday, Dec. 24
   The Children's Museum of Indianapolis (10 am-2 pm): Visit Jolly Days
Winter Wonderland at the world's largest children's museum and enjoy
traditional holiday favorites such as the two-story Yule Slide, Jingles
the Jolly Bear and explore "outdoor" fun at the Snow Castle and Ice
Fishing holes. Warm up your imagination with lots of cookie fun in the
kitchen, and help Santa's reindeer prepare for their flight! Be sure to
stop by and see Santa to get in those last minute holiday wishes. The
museum is a hands-on world of discovery which is the largest of its
kind in the world featuring a 4-story tall Chihuly blown glass
sculpture, which towers above a suspended glass ceiling. Underneath,
kids create their own sculpture with pre-formed acrylic orbs. The $25
million Dinosphere exhibit features real juvenile and family dinosaur
fossils and children are even able to dig for faux fossils in the
Dinosaur Dig. Other fun includes sailing a boat and exploring life
under ground in ScienceWorks, or taking a ride on a real, working
Carousel. www.childrensmuseum.org.

*****

New Books
 From locusmag.com

December 2010
   Anderson, Poul * Sir Dominic Flandry: The Last Knight of Terra * (Baen,
cln, tpb)
   Armstrong, Jon * Yarn * (Night Shade Books, tpb)
   Asprin, Robert * Dragons Deal * (Ace, tpb)
   Brown, Eric * Guardians of the Phoenix * (Solaris US)
   Collins, Nancy A. * Right Hand Magic * (Roc, nvl-ya)
   Foster, Alan Dean * The Human Blend * (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   + Jones, Stephen, ed. * The Mammoth Book of Zombie Apocalypse *
(Running Press, anth, tpb)
   Koontz, Dean * What the Night Knows * (Bantam, hc)
   Lackey, Mercedes, ed. * Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar *
(DAW, anth)
   Lansdale, Joe R. * Deadman's Road * (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   + Marillier, Juliet * Seer of Sevenwaters * (Roc, hc)
   McCaffrey, Anne, & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough * Catacombs * (Ballantine
Del Rey, hc)
   McKillip, Patricia A. * The Bards of Bone Plain * (Ace, hc)
   Niven, Larry * The Best of Larry Niven * (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Parker, K. J. * Blue and Gold * (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Resnick, Mike * The Buntline Special * (Pyr, tpb)
   Rice, Anne * Of Love and Evil * (Knopf, hc)
   Sanderson, Brandon * Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens * (Scholastic
Press, hc)
   Swirsky, Rachel, & Sean Wallace, eds. * People of the Book * (Prime
Books, anth, tpb)

January 2011
   Bear, Elizabeth * The White City * (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Card, Orson Scott * The Lost Gate * (Tor, hc)
   Donaldson, Stephen R. * The Best of Stephen R. Donaldson *
(Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Emshwiller, Carol * The Collected Stories of Carol Emshwiller *
(NonStop Press, cln, hc)
   Farmer, Philip Jose * Up the Bright River * (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Jones, Gwyneth * The Universe of Things * (Aqueduct Press, cln, tpb)
   Lovegrove, James * Age of Odin * (Solaris US)
   + McAuley, Paul * Cowboy Angels * (Pyr, tpb)
   Moorcock, Michael * Modem Times 2. 0 * (PM Press/Outspoken Authors,
cln, tpb)
   Parker, K. J. * The Hammer * (Orbit US, tpb)
   Silverberg, Robert * Hunt the Space-Witch: Seven Adventures in Time and
Space * (Paizo/Planet Stories, cln, tpb)
   Strahan, Jonathan, ed. * Engineering Infinity * (Solaris US, anth)
   Walton, Jo * Among Others * (Tor, hc)
   Williams, Conrad A. * Loss of Separation * (Solaris US)
   Wolfe, Gary K. * Evaporating Genres: Essays on Fantastic Literature *
(Wesleyan University Press, nf, hc/tpb)
   Wolfe, Gene * Home Fires * (Tor, hc)

*****

Meeting Info
   The next gathering of the Circle of Janus will our club anniversary
party on Saturday, December 11th, at Valley Mills Christian Church,
5555 Kentucky Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46221. The party begins at 6 with
set-up starting at 5 for those who are helping to decorate. Information
and directions are elsewhere in the newsletter. The next Board meeting
will be on Tuesday, December 14, 2010, starting at 6:30 at Midwest
Internet. The next business meeting (and elections) will be Saturday,
January 8, 2011, at a meeting location to be announced.

*****

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Kathie Thompson
   Vice-President - Lynette Cowper
   Secretary - Stephen Kendall
   Treasurer - Emily Rodgers
   Sergeant at Arms - Jeff Thompson
   InConJunction 31 ConChair - Mike Cowper
   InConJunction 32 ConChair - Kathie Thompson

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us