[CircularOfJanus] May 2011 Circular

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at io.com
Wed May 4 16:04:10 EDT 2011

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 April 30, 2011
 Volume 32, Issue 5

Contents:
   President's Reflections - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the April Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper (based on Laura
Edwards's notes)
   Announcements from Our Members
   A Few Cool Things to Do in Indy - Lynette Cowper
   Mark Your Calendars
   May Meeting Agenda
   New Books - from Locus
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

President's Reflections
 by Lynette R. F. Cowper

Hello, all! It's hard to believe it's May already! I've been dashing out
to my garden between rain showers, trying to get things growing in there
(Judy's talk in March was inspirational!) and enjoying all the wildflowers
growing in my yard. Kai (Megan) is headed into finals week and Ren's got
less than a month to go before he's out of school for the summer as well.

All the gardening and spring weather has gotten a story rumbling around in
my head trying to get out, so I may try to find some time to get it down
on paper (or, well, electrons) and send it off to Nathan Murrell for the
Semi-Circular of Janus. For those of you not familiar with that worthy
publication, it served as the fanzine for the CoJ for many years in paper
form before dying a quiet death. Brian Davidson put considerable effort
into trying to revive it some years ago without much success. Nathan is
giving it his attention now, but he needs submissions-- short stories,
poems, artwork, and fannish things. They should be science fiction or
fantasy related, of course.

Nathan's quick volunteerism, gardening, and the rather frightening health
scare with my dad has gotten me to thinking about how we spend our time.
Something I've always loved about the CoJ is that it is, at its heart, a
group of friends united around some loosely-related interests in various
forms of science fiction and fantasy, who get together to do this club
thing and, most of us, this convention thing. But some things keep
creeping into my awareness, like the fact that there are faces who used to
be at our meetings every month and aren't there any more. Like that we
don't really do (non-meeting) parties anymore. We are all so terribly busy
these days! I don't know whether it's just that those missing faces have
moved on to other things and that we're all happy just gathering once a
month and doing business and a bit of fun afterward, or whether other club
members are missing those people and those gatherings too.

So, I want to ask, are you all happy with the club the way it is or do we
want to do more? I know gas is expensive and the economy has been hard on
some of us. Maybe it's unreasonable to expect more than a once-a-month
commitment to the club from most of us. Maybe we need to look into other
options-- electronic gatherings of some sort, for instance. I'm open to
ideas.

While I like that the club sends birthday cards, a note from an individual
still has more impact. I'd ask those of you who've been in the club for a
while-- officer or not-- to look around, look for those absences, and
maybe drop an email or a card or a call to those people and tell them you
miss them. Let's not lose sight of our friendships in the midst of the
business of being a club.

Lynette R. F. Cowper, CoJ President

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Summary of the April Meeting
 by Lynette R. F. Cowper

The club met on April 2 at the LifeJourney Church (formerly Jesus
Metropolitan Community Church). All the officers were there except
ConChair for InConJunction 32 (2012) Kathie Thompson and Treasurer Emily
Rodgers (though Emily was there for the ConCom meeting and passed out her
report before leaving). We didn't have any guests or new members, though
we were happy to have longtime-but-not-often-with-us member Rob Pyatt
present. Lynette opened by explaining that her father had just gone in to
the hospital with heart problems which was why she was
less-than-organized.

We did the Treasurer and minutes thing and then heard from Mike Cowper on
InConJunction 31. He's confirmed as GoHs Catherine Asaro, Donald Woolcott,
and David Lee Pancake. He'd been contacted by the agent for Joe Flanigan
of Stargate Atlantis about him coming to InConJunction and was looking at
how to budget for it. Mike Suess was looking for actors for the play and
Kyra was needing volunteers for ConSuite. Unfortunately, last year some of
her volunteers were treated very rudely-- often by members of the CoJ and
ConCom-- and so she had several that weren't volunteering again because of
it. Kyra reminded everyone that, by our contract with the hotel, we cannot
serve regular food in the ConSuite. It is purely for munchies and drinks.

Andy went over what the Board had talked about at their last meeting and
then we heard from Member Services and Member Activities. Anjala reminded
everyone that she needs help with the CoJ/ InConJunction booth at Gay
Pride on June 11th and John went over the name change for the church, from
Jesus Metropolitan Community Church to LifeJourney Church.

Nathan Murrell announced he would be taking over as editor of the
Semi-Circular of Janus and was looking for submissions of short stories,
artwork, poems, and other science fiction and fantasy related materials.
You can email him at: fanzine at circleofjanus.org

And that was the meeting!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Announcements from Our Members

Tracy Canfield

Free Klingon event at the Danville Library! On May 11, from 6:00 to 7:00
PM, the Danville Library is hosting a presentation on the Klingon language
created by linguist Marc Okrand for Star Trek. You'll learn how Okrand
used what we know about human languages to create a convincingly alien
languages, and we'll even teach you how to get by in Klingon.

Michael Roney Jr. is a professional Klingon translator who has worked with
companies around the world, including doing the Klingon translation of the
Sophos anti-virus software. Tracy Canfield is a computational linguist who
did the Klingon voice work for the Jenolan Caves' audio tour in Klingon
and has also done linguistics research using Klingon.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A Few Cool Things to Do in Indy
 By Lynette Cowper

Cultural Events and Food Festivals: Indianapolis boasts a large mix of
cultures and some great food. Here are some of those events:
   Asian fest: June 4, Garfield Park
   Cathedral Women's Strawberry Festival: June 9, Monument Circle
   Indy Pride Parade and Festival: June 11, Massachusetts Avenue (Parade,
10am) & American Legion Mall (Festival, after the parade (approx.
11:30am))
   Indian Market and Festival: June 25, Eiteljorg
   Middle Eastern Festival: July 15 through 17, St. George Orthodox Church

Incredible Costumes from Film and TV: Batman’s Bat Suit (look at those
abs!), Darth Vader’s cape and helmet (resist the dark side!), the Wicked
Witch of the West’s hat (the height of fantasy fashion!)... these are just
a few of the amazing original costumes featured in Incredible Costumes
from Film and TV. Don’t miss this limited-engagement exhibit that explores
the role of costume in defining characters from films and TV shows seen by
millions, including Blade Runner, Ghostbusters II, and Star Trek. Through
May 8, Children's Museum.

Indianapolis Air Show 2011: One of the most sought-after performance teams
in the world, the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels will perform choreographed
demonstrations of their amazing aviation skills. In addition to the high
flying action in the air, attendees can find lots of interactive,
family-friendly fun on the ground. $12-$15, adults; $4-$5, children 6-12.
May 13 through 15. Mt. Comfort Airport.

Masterpieces of Jelly Bean Art presented by Jelly Belly: Eight large
replicas of famous paintings, made entirely of Jelly Belly jelly beans
will be displayed throughout the museum. Created by Kristen Cumings, they
include The Great Wave of Kanagawa, the Mona Lisa, and American Gothic.
April 9 through June 1. Children's Museum.

Frankenstein: A New Musical: A new musical based on Mary Shelley's tale of
gothic horror with earnest ballads and soaring ensemble numbers. This
compelling new musical bring the suspense and romance of the classic tale
to life in a uniquely faithful, yet thoroughly innovative adaptation of
Mary Shelley's original novel. $12-$16. June 3 through 19. Buck Creek
Players.

Mind Tripping Show: Psychological Illusions for the Mind: National Touring
performers Christian and Katalina are back at the Hilton with a fun,
surprising, interactive theatrical show called Mind Tripping:
Psychological Illusions for the Mind. They take audiences on a series of
mind-bending adventures that is pure fun and mental mayhem. The show is a
psychological thriller that blurs the lines between fantasy and reality.
It is perfect for ages 8-108. Tickets: $25, adults; $20, students and
seniors (55+). This is an intimate cabaret performance with only 40 seats
per show, so don't delay. Saturdays through June 25. Hilton.

The 44th Indianapolis Early Music Festival: Various ensembles perform
music from the Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, and early Classical eras.
Performers include: REBEL with Matthias Maute, June 24; Tempesta di Mare,
June 26; Baltimore Consort, July 8; Viva Vivaldi with Ronn McFarlane, July
10; Plaine And Easie, July 22; and ¡Sacabuche!, July 24 all beginning at
7:00 pm with conversation with the Artistic Director and/or that evening's
performers, followed by the concert at 7:30 pm There is also a Free
Children's Concert with the Baltimore Consort, 10:30 am. July 9. Frank &
Katrina Basile Theater at the Glick Indiana History Center.

National Geographic Treasures of the Earth: Presented by the Children’s
Museum of Indianapolis, in partnership with the National Geographic
Society, this incredible exhibit will transport families to world-renowned
archeological excavation sites filled with amazing treasures for a
hands-on adventure. June 11 through September 16. Children's Museum.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mark Your Calendars

May 2011
 5-6: Eta Aquarids Meteor Shower

 6: Whoosier Network Meeting - LifeJourney Church (JMCC)
 6: Thor

 7: CoJ Meeting
 7: New Astronomers Group - McCloud Nature Park

 12-15: Morphicon - Columbus, OH

 13: Priest
 13-15: Tiger Con - Memphis, TN

 14: CoJ Board Meeting - VMCC
 14: Atlanta Anime Day - Atlanta, GA
 14: Sukoshicon: Montgomery - Montgomery, AL
 14-15: Conjurations 2011 - Montreal, Quebec

 15: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

 18-22: International Space Development Conference - Huntsville, AL

 19-22: Nebula Awards Weekend - Washington DC

 20: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
 20-22: Anime Central - Rosemont, IL
 20-22: MOBICON 14 - Mobile, AL
 20-22: The S.I.E.G.E. - Chattanooga, TN

 21: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory

 26-30: WisCon - Madison, WI

 27-29: Animazement - Raleigh, NC
 27-29: Anime North - Toronto, ON
 27-29: ConQuest - Kansas City, MO
 27-29: MarCon - Columbus, OH
 27-29: RCFM- Rocket City Fur Meet - Huntsville, AL
 27-29: TIMEGATE - Atlanta, GA
 27-30: Balticon - Baltimore, MD
 27-30: MediaWest*Con - Lansing, MI
 27-30: World Steam Expo - Dearborn, MI

June 2011

 1: Partial Solar Eclipse

 2-5: Colossalcon - Sandusky, OH

 3: Whoosier Network Meeting - LifeJourney Church (JMCC)
 3: X-Men: First Class
 3-5: ConCarolinas - Charlotte, NC
 3-5: Die Con 11 - Collinsville, IL
 3-5: HamaCon - Huntsville, AL
 3-5: OMGcon - Paducah, KY
 3-5: Seishun-Con - Atlanta, GA
 3-5: SoonerCon - Oklahoma City, OK

 4: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church (JMCC)

 10: Super 8

 11: New Astronomers Group - McCloud Nature Park
 11: Indy Pride - American Legion Mall

 15: Total Lunar Eclipse

 17: Green Lantern
 17: Mini-Conz - Fairgrounds 4H Bldg, Bloomington
 17-19: Anime Mid-Atlantic - Chesapeake, VA
 17-19: DucKon - Schaumburg, IL
 17-19: Hypericon - Nashville, TN

 18: Dillan & Anjala Dick's Anniversary
 18-19: Knoxville Comic & Anime Con - Knoxville, TN

 19: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library

 22-26: Origins 2011 - Columbus, OH

 23-26: Anthrocon - Pittsburgh, PA

 24-25: Link Campout - Link Observatory
 24-26: Fourth Street Fantasy Convention - Minneapolis, MN

 25: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory
 25: Sukoshicon: Gadsden - Gadsden, AL
 25-26: JAFAX - Allendale, MI

 26: Ash Comic Con - Ramada Inn

 29-7/4: CONvergence - Bloomington, MN

July 2011

 1: Partial Solar Eclipse
 1: Transformers: Dark of the Moon
 1: Whoosier Network Meeting - LifeJourney Church (JMCC)
 1-3: InConJunction - Indianapolis, IN

 6: Dillan Dick's birthday

 8-10: Anime Blues Con - Memphis, TN
 8-10: Anime Festival Wichita - Wichita, KS
 8-10: AniMinneapolis - Minneapolis, MN
 8-10: Ikasucon - Fort Wayne, IN
 8-10: Think Galacticon - Chicago, IL
 8-10: WausaubiCon - Wausau, WI
 8-11: North American Discworld Convention - Madison, WI

 9: New Astronomers Group - McCloud Nature Park
 9-10: Glass City Con - Perrysburg, OH

 11: Beckie Margedant's birthday

 15: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
 15-17: G-Fest - Rosemont, IL
 15-17: LibertyCon -East Ridge, TN
 15-17: PersaCon - Huntsville, AL
 15-17: Polaris - Toronto, ON
 15-17: Quetzalcoatl Con (End of the World Con) - Troy, MI
 15-17: Quincon 26 - Quincy, IL
 15-17: Sangawa Project - Pittsburgh, PA
 15-17: Tokyo in Tulsa - Tulsa, OK

 16: Jeff & Kathie Thompson's Anniversary

 17:  IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library
 17: Long Island Toy Show - Plainview, NY

 19: Gaming For A Cure - Traverse City, MI

 22: Stephen Kendall's birthday
 22: Captain America: The First Avenger
 22-24: Confluence - Pittsburgh, PA

 23: Ricky Lile's birthday
 23: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory
 23: Fantasy Gamers Conclave - Cary, NC

 25: Kathie Thompson's birthday

 28-29: Southern Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower
 28-31: Indiana Star Party - Frankfort, IN

 29: Cowboys & Aliens
 29-31: Diversicon - Saint Paul, MN
 29-31: Otakon - Baltimore, MD
 29-31: PulpFest 2011 - Columbus, OH

 30-31: Conbravo! - Burlington, ON
 30-31: TFcon Toronto - Mississauga, ON

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

May Meeting Agenda

The Circle of Janus
   May Meeting
   May 7, 2011

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Double-check if anyone is going out afterward, set where, arrange for
someone to call ahead
    Introduction of guests, member attendance, and passing out Treasurer's
Report (if available)
 Communications
    April meeting minutes
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 31
    Convention Report, InConJunction 32, if needed
    Convention Report, InConJunction 33, if needed
    Board Report, if needed
    Member Services Report, if needed
    Member Activities Report
       Scheduled Speakers or activities so far
          Meetings
             May - Kat Robertson hosting open gaming
             June -
          Non-Meetings
             May
             June
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Membership Cards
    Volunteers for Gay Pride, Pagan Pride
    Other as needed
 New Business
    CoJ and/or InConJunction financial support for things like the
Terminator II by Shakespeare project
    Other as needed
 Announcements
 Close of meeting - Chaos
 Open gaming

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Books
 From locusmag.com

May 2011
   Anderson, Kevin J., ed. • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 • (Tor, anth, tpb)
   Barker, Clive • The Painter, the Creature, and the Father of Lies •
(Earthling Publications, nf, hc)
   Canavan, Trudi • The Rogue • (Orbit US, hc)
   Chizmar, Richard, ed. • Shivers VI • (CD Publications, anth, tpb)
   + Esslemont, Ian C. • Stonewielder • (Tor, hc)
   Files, Gemma • A Rope of Thorns • (ChiZine Publications, hc/tpb)
   Gilman, Laura Anne • Dragonvirus • (Fairwood Press, cln, hc)
   Harris, Charlaine • Dead Reckoning • (Ace, hc)
   + Hobb, Robin • The Inheritance and Other Stories • (Harper Voyager US,
tpb)
   Hobson, M. K. • The Hidden Goddess • (Ballantine Spectra)
   Jacques, Brian • The Rogue Crew • (Philomel, nvl-ya, hc)
   Jakober, Marie • The Demon Left Behind • (Hades/EDGE Science Fiction
and Fantasy, tpb)
   Koontz, Dean • Frankenstein: The Dead Town • (Bantam)
   Miéville, China • Embassytown • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Millet, Lydia • The Fires Beneath the Sea • (Small Beer Press, nvl-ya, hc)
   Nickle, David • Eutopia • (ChiZine Publications, hc/tpb)
   Nix, Garth, & Sean Williams • Troubletwisters • (Scholastic Press,
nvl-ya, hc)
   Nylund, Eric • The Resisters • (Random House, nvl-ya, hc)
   + Rajaniemi, Hannu • The Quantum Thief • (Tor, hc)
   Rusch, Kristine Kathryn • City of Ruins • (Pyr, tpb)
   Saramago, José • Small Memories • (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, nf, hc)
   Scalzi, John • Fuzzy Nation • (Tor, hc)
   Strahan, Jonathan, ed. • Eclipse Four • (Night Shade Books, anth, tpb)
   Swanwick, Michael • Dancing With Bears • (Night Shade Books, hc)
   + Tidhar, Lavie • Camera Obscura • (Angry Robot US)
   Valentine, Genevieve • Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti •
(Prime Books, tpb)
   VanderMeer, Jeff • The Steampunk Bible: An Illustrated Guite to the
World of Imaginary Airships, Corsets and Goggles, Mad Scientists and
Strange Literature • (Abrams, hc)
   Wentworth, K. D., ed. • L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future
Volume XXVII • (Galaxy, anth)
   + Wooding, Chris • Retribution Falls • (Ballantine Spectra, tpb)

June 2011
   Akers, Tim • Dead of Veridon • (Solaris US)
   Anderson, M. T. • Empire of Gut and Bone • (Scholastic Press, nvl-ya, hc)
   Black, Holly, & Ellen Kushner, eds. • Welcome to Bordertown • (Random
House, anth, hc)
   Brackett, Leigh • Shannach -- The Last: Farewell to Mars • (Haffner
Press, cln, hc)
   Carey, Jacqueline • Naamah's Blessing • (Grand Central, hc)
   Corey, James S. A. • Leviathan Wakes • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Datlow, Ellen, ed. • Best Horror of the Year: Volume Three • (Night
Shade Books, anth, tpb)
   Datlow, Ellen, ed. • Supernatural Noir • (Dark Horse, anth, tpb)
   Duchamp, L. Timmel • Never at Home • (Aqueduct Press, cln, tpb)
   Englehart, Steve • The Plain Man • (Tor, hc)
   Frei, Max • The Stranger's Woes • (Overlook Press, hc)
   Goldstein, Lisa • The Uncertain Places • (Tachyon Publications, tpb)
   Grant, Mira • Deadline • (Orbit US)
   Hamilton, Laurell K. • Hit List • (Berkley, hc)
   + Hardinge, Frances • Fly Trap • (HarperCollins, nvl-ya, hc)
   Hartwell, David G., & Kathryn Cramer, eds. • Year's Best SF 16 •
(Harper Voyager US, anth)
   Horton, Rich, ed. • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy: 2011
Edition • (Prime Books, anth, tpb)
   + Hughes, Matthew • The Damned Busters • (Angry Robot US)
   Lackey, Mercedes • Unnatural Issue • (DAW, hc)
   Marr, Melissa • Graveminder • (Morrow, hc)
   Martin, George R. R., ed. • Wild Cards: Fort Freak • (Tor, anth, hc)
   Martinez, A. Lee • Chasing the Moon • (Orbit US, hc)
   McKenna, Bridget, & Marti McKenna, eds. • End of an Aeon • (Fairwood
Press, anth, tpb)
   Navarro, Yvonne • Concrete Savior • (Juno Books)
   Peake, Mervyn, & Maeve Gilmore • Titus Awakes • (Overlook Press, hc)
   Rucker, Rudy • Jim and the Flims • (Night Shade Books, hc)
   Sinclair, Alison • Shadowborn • (Roc, tpb)
   Steele, Allen • Hex • (Ace, hc)
   van Eekhout, Greg • The Boy at the End of the World • (Bloomsbury USA,
nvl-ya, hc)
   Yep, Laurence • City of Ice • (Starscape, nvl-ya, hc)
   Zafón, Carlos Ruiz • The Midnight Palace • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya, hc)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Meeting Info
   The next business meeting of the Circle of Janus will be Saturday, May
7, 2011, at the LifeJourney Church (formerly Jesus Metropolitan
Community Church – same location, new name), 2950 55th Place,
Indianapolis, IN, starting at 7:00 pm. A ConCom meeting will precede
the club meeting at 5:15. Those on the ConCom should arrive prepared to
report.

   The next Board meeting will be Saturday, May 14 at Valley Mills
Christian Church (the place we were at for the anniversary party)
starting at 1:00. Anyone who wishes to attend may do so.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Lynette Cowper
   Vice-President - Anjala Dick
   Secretary - Laura Edwards
   Treasurer - Emily Rodgers
   Sergeant-at-Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 31 ConChair - Mike Cowper
   InConJunction 32 ConChair - Kathie Thompson
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
   Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper