[CircularOfJanus] March 2012 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Sun Feb 26 19:32:15 EST 2012

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 March 1, 2012
 Volume 33, Issue 3

Contents:
   President's Reflections - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the February Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the February Board Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   March Meeting Agenda
   New Books - from Locus
   Mark Your Calendars
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

**************************

President's Reflections
 by Lynette Cowper

Well, we've certainly had strange weather this year! The spring-like
temperatures have activated my gardening yen and I've been sorting through
seeds and decluttering my indoor garden-planning corner.

As I put together the Mark Your Calendars page, I could see the number of
upcoming conventions expanding as we hit the warmer months. Likewise,
there are some eagerly awaited movies coming up as well.

It seems like we're all a lot busier nowadays, so I've begun thinking that
having club movie nights where a bunch of us get together might be easier
than trying to organize some other activity. With that in mind, anyone
interested in catching John Carter in a couple of weeks should email me
and we'll see if we can't get a group together to enjoy a movie night out.
If it works out, perhaps we'll try again in May with Marvel's The Avengers
or Men in Black 3. I also note that the Lyrids meteor shower falls on a
weekend in April this year, so having an astronomy night might be fun.

At any rate, I'd like to look for ways for us to enjoy the club more with
less work. If anyone has other activities they'd like to plan, I'm open
for suggestions. It's your club, what would you like to do with it?

**************************

Summary of the February Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on February 11th at LifeJourney Church. All officers except
President Lynette Cowper, InConJunction 32 Convention Chair Kathie
Thompson, and InConJunction 34 Convention Chair Drew Happli were present.
Bob and Kim/Lauren, the couple who do such great costumes at InConJunction
every year, were present as guests.

The meeting was called to order right on time at 7:00. The previous
meeting minutes were accepted as published and Kent gave a Treasurer's
report, then we moved on to convention reports.

Kathie wasn't there, but Melissa had run the ConCom meeting and gave a
brief report about her ideas for rearranging the expo hall. She also
mentioned she's looking for a Dealers' Room assistant and 2013 ConCom
folks.

Andy then gave a report for the January 21st Board meeting. He mentioned
that this year is a Bylaws caucus year and whether our non-discrimination
policy is broad enough. He also covered a few other things which can be
found in the January Inner Circular for CoJ members.

Laura reported her ongoing efforts toward the CoJ/InConJunction booth at
Indy Pride and then we talked about plans for club activities in the
future, including Lynette trying to get a group together to see John
Carter in March.

The only Old Business was that Ricky was working on membership cards and
the only New Business was that the Club Constitution and Bylaws were
available online as well as there being paper copies available at the
meeting for anyone who needed one. Club members were asked to go through
them and flag anything they thought needed review.

We moved on to announcements. Melissa mentioned some great things on
Netflix, like the Norwegian The Troll-Hunter. Randy said Barnes & Noble
has re-issued their Lovecraft compilation, which is nearly complete, for
$20 in hardback. Kent and Cat's wedding is Aug. 25 in Noblesville. Andy
asked who else is going to Worldcon, in Chicago on Labor Day weekend. Many
conventions are coming up (as listed in the Circular). Leigh is still
looking for booth help for Kawa Con in St. Louis in March. Randy said
Garycon tickets are still available. Kyra said Miss Peregrine’s School for
Peculiar Children is a good book. Beckie mentioned the 5/15, release on
legit DVDs, of Unico (early-80s children's programming). John said a
lingering Blockbuster on North Keystone is liquidating. Also, Douglas
Trumbull (special-effects guru) is getting a technical Oscar, and is still
working at 70 years old. Randy mentioned that the Tripod series author,
John Christopher, has died. Brian added that the voice of the Lost in
Space robot has also died.

Chaos was declared at 7:38 pm and that was it for the (very short)
February meeting!

**************************

Summary of the February Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met on February 19 via Skype, starting at 6:14. All officers
except Vice President Kyra Shidler, InConJunction 33 ConChair Melissa
Kocias, and InConJunction 34 ConChair Drew Happli were present.

Before we officially started, there was some discussion on how to better
utilize Facebook. After we started, we approved the January Board minutes
as published, then started going through the action items from the
previous meeting. After that, we discussed competing conventions some and
what to do to try and pull people in to InConJunction. We also talked
about looking through the 2013 calendar to see if there are any possible
meeting conflicts as has come up a few times this year.

Kathie then discussed this year's convention. She'd like to do a mailing,
but our mailing list is rather old and out-of-date. Discussion ensued.
She's going to see about sending it only to registrants from 2011 and 2010
who didn't provide an email address. She also covered a couple of other
things related to communication with the Convention Committee and with the
hotel contract.

We briefly went over action items for the Board and then adjourned at 7:16.

**************************

March Meeting Agenda

 March 3, 2012
 LifeJourney Church.

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests and member attendance
    February meeting minutes
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 32
    Convention Report, InConJunction 33
    Convention Report, InConJunction 34
    Board Report
    Member Services Report, if needed
    Outreach Committee
       Indy Pride
       Pagan Pride
    Member Activities
       March Non-Meeting
          John Carter on March 10 at 1:30pm in IMAX 3D at AMC Showplace on
Meridian
       April Meeting
          Pyatt's Weird Science?
       April Non-Meeting
          Lyrids Meteor Shower viewing on the 21st?
       May Meeting
          Nothing yet
       May Non-Meeting
          Anyone want to volunteer?
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Member Cards
    Bylaws Caucus
       This month, go over the Constitution and page 1 of the CoJ Bylaws
and mark issues
 New Business
    Appointments
       Board Appointments
          Outreach Committee
             Promotional Events Coordinator
             Online Ambassador
                Forum Moderators
             Indianapolis-Area Club Ambassador
             Indianapolis-Area Convention Ambassador
          Audit Committee
          Club and Convention Archivist
          Quartermaster
          Print Buyer
          Hotel Liaison is Kathie Thompson
          Webmaster
       Presidential Appointments
          Member Activities Committee
          Member Services Committee
             Welcoming Committee or Coordinator
          Meeting Location Search Committee
          Newsletter Editor
    Anything else?
 Announcements - one per person please
 Close of meeting - Chaos

**************************

New Books
 From locusmag.com

March 2012
   Beagle, Peter S. • The First Last Unicorn and Other Beginnings •
(Tachyon Publications, cln, tpb)
   Bear, Elizabeth • Ad Eternum • (Subterranean, nva, hc)
   Bear, Elizabeth • Range of Ghosts • (Tor, hc)
   Bradbury, Ray • Nemo • (Subterranean Press, nf, hc)
   Brandon, Paula • The Ruined City • (Ballantine Spectra, tpb)
   Briggs, Patricia • Fair Game • (Ace, hc)
   Brooks, Terry • Indomitable • (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Carey, Mike, & Linda Carey & Louise Carey • The Steel Seraglio •
(ChiZine Publications, tpb)
   Carriger, Gail • Timeless • (Orbit US)
   + Chadbourn, Mark • Jack of Ravens • (Pyr, tpb)
   Cherryh, C. J. • Intruder • (DAW, hc)
   Courtenay Grimwood, Jon • The Outcast Blade • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Downum, Amanda • The Kingdoms of Dust • (Orbit US)
   + Guran, Paula, ed. • Brave New Love • (Running Press, anth, tpb)
   Guran, Paula, ed. • Witches: Wicked, Wild & Wonderful • (Prime Books,
anth, tpb)
   Haffner, Stephen, ed. • Shades of Mars: Stories in Honor of Leigh
Brackett • (Haffner Press, anth, hc)
   Hamilton, Edmond • The Collected Edmond Hamilton, Volume Four: The
Reign of the Robots • (Haffner Press, cln, hc)
   Harrison, Kim • Perfect Blood • (Harper Voyager US, hc)
   + Hunt, Stephen • Secrets of the Fire Sea • (Tor, hc)
   Kiernan, Caitlín R. • The Drowning Girl • (Penguin/Roc, tpb)
   Kosmatka, Ted • The Games • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Leicht, Stina • And Blue Skies from Pain • (Night Shade Books, tpb)
   Martinez, A. Lee • Emperor Mollusk vs. The Sinister Brain • (Orbit)
   McGuire, Seanan • Discount Armageddon • (DAW)
   McKenna, Juliet E. • Darkening Skies • (Rebellion/Solaris US)
   Moorcock, Michael • London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction • (PM Press,
nf, tpb)
   Murphy, C. E. • Raven Calls • (Harlequin/Luna, tpb)
   Novik, Naomi • Crucible of Gold • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Ore, Rebecca • Time and Robbery • (Aqueduct Press, tpb)
   Powers, Tim • Hide Me Among the Graves • (HarperCollins/Morrow)
   Strahan, Jonathan, ed. • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the
Year Volume Six • (Night Shade Books, anth, tpb)
   Weber, David • A Rising Thunder • (Baen, hc)

April 2012
   Armstrong, Kelley • The Calling • (HarperCollins, nvl-ya, hc)
   Baker, Kage • The Best of Kage Baker • (Subterranean Press, cln)
   Barnes, John • Losers in Space • (Penguin/Viking, nvl-ya, hc)
   Beckett, Galen • The Master of Heathcrest Hall • (Ballantine Spectra, tpb)
   Black, Holly • Black Heart • (Simon & Schuster/McElderry, nvl-ya, hc)
   Czerneda, Julie E. • A Turn of Light • (DAW, tpb)
   Evenson, Brian • Immobility • (Tor, hc)
   Foster, Alan Dean • Body, Inc. • (Ballantine Del Rey, tpb)
   Gilman, Carolyn Ives • Ison of the Isles • (ChiZine Publications, tpb)
   Hand, Elizabeth • Radiant Days • (Penguin/Viking, nvl-ya, hc)
   Hughes, Matthew • Costume Not Included • (Angry Robot US)
   King, Stephen • The Dark Tower VIII: The Wind Through the Keyhole •
(Simon & Schuster/Scribner, hc)
   Kowal, Mary Robinette • Glamour in Glass • (Tor, hc)
   Kress, Nancy • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall •
(Tachyon Publications, tpb)
   Lovegrove, James • Age of Aztec • (Rebellion/Solaris US)
   + MacLeod, Ken • The Night Sessions • (Prometheus/Pyr, hc)
   Moore, Christopher • Sacre Bleu • (HarperCollins/Morrow, hc)
   Sanderson, Brandon • Legion • (Subterranean Press, hc)
   Sawyer, Robert J. • Triggers • (Ace, hc)
   Shinn, Sharon • The Shape of Desire • (Ace, hc)
   Slattery, Brian Francis • Lost Everything • (Tor, tpb)
   Smith, Sherwood • Banner of the Damned • (DAW, hc)
   Stover, Matthew • Caine's Law • (Ballantine Del Rey, tpb)
   Youers, Rio • Westlake Soul • (ChiZine Publications, tpb)

**************************

Mark Your Calendars

March 2012:

   2: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   2: Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
   2-4: GeneriCon - Troy, NY
   2-4: Intercon - Chelmsford, MA
   2-4: Plattecon - Platteville, WI
   2-4: Stellarcon - High Point, NC
   2-4: Who's Yer Con - Indianapolis, Indiana

   3: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   3-4: KiraKira Con - Charlotte, NC
   3-4: Mars Night, Midnight-2am – IMA

   8-11: Animation & Gaming Ohio - Mason, OH

   9: John Carter
   9: Silent House
   9-11: TowerCon - Maryville, Missouri
   9-12: MarsCon - Bloomington, MN

   10: IAS General Meeting - Holcomb Observatory
   10: CRAGGNAROK - Buffalo, New York
   10: Phantasm 21.5 - Peterborough , ON
   10: SpringFestNY - Brooklyn, NY

   12: Randy Porter's birthday

   13: Cathy Dailey's birthday
   13: Janet Dailey's birthday

   15: Arabella Rollison's birthday
   15-18: Furry Weekend Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

   16-17: Technicon - Blacksburg, VA
   16-18: Anime Punch - Columbus. OH
   16-18: FantaSciCon - Chattanooga. TN
   16-18: Furnal Equinox - Toronto, ON
   16-18: Kawa Kon - St. Louis, MO
   16-18: Lunacon - Westchester, NY
   16-18: Millennicon - Cincinnati, OH
   16-18: MomoCon - Atlanta, GA
   16-18: Omnicon - Cookeville, TN
   16-18: Shuto Con - Lansing, MI
   16-18: VeriCon - Cambridge, MA

   17: Amanda Dailey-Weaver's birthday
   17: Dee Ann Moore's birthday

   18: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   21: Mike & Lynette Cowper's anniversary
   21-25: Tekkoshocon - Pittsburgh, PA

   22-25: Gary Con - Lake Geneva, WI

   23: The Hunger Games
   23-25: MidSouthcon - Memphis, TN

   24: CoJ Board meeting, 1pm – VMCC
   24: Animarathon - Bowling Green, OH
   24: Karoshi-con - Dekalb, IL
   24-25: Kappa Kon - South Milwaukee, WI

   25: Neil Thompson's birthday

   26: Chris Canary's birthday

   29-4/1: World Horror Convention - Salt Lake City, UT

   30: Wrath of the Titans
   30-4/1: Anime Detour - Minneapolis, MN
   30-4/1: EvilleCon - Evansville, IN
   30-4/1: I-Con - Stony Brook, NY
   30-4/1: Kitsune Kon - Appleton, WI
   30-4/1: Lets Play Green Bay - Green Bay, WI
   30-4/1: Stillcon - Stillwater, OK
   30-4/1: Sukoshicon: Birmingham - Birmingham, AL

   31: Pixelcon - Tuscaloosa, AL
   31-4/1: Jaycon - Elizabethtown, PA
   31-4/1: NashiCon - Columbia, SC
   31-Apr. 1: SIMCON - Rochester, NY

April 2012:

   1: Judy Eudaly's birthday

   4: Mark Bischoff's birthday

   5: Nann Moneck's birthday

   6: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6-8: Anime Boston - Boston, MA
   6-8: MarCon - Columbus, OH
   6-8: Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Nashville, TN
   6-8: Minicon - Minneapolis, MN
   6-8: PAX East - Boston, MA
   6-8: Triad Anime Convention - Winston-Salem, NC

   7: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church

   10: Kyra Shidler's birthday

   13: The Cabin in the Woods
   13-15: Ad Astra - Toronto, ON
   13-15: Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo - Chicago, IL
   13-15: Conglomeration - Louisville, KY
   13-15: RavenCon - Richmond, VA
   13-15: UB Con 2012: Mis-Judgment Day - Buffalo, NY

   14: IAS General Meeting - Holcomb Observatory

   15: Melissa Kocias's birthday
   15: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   19: Jessica Carrico's birthday

   20: Lockout
   20-22: Anime St. Louis - Collinsville, IL
   20-22: CODCON XVII - Glen Ellyn, IL
   20-22: FilKONtario - Missisauga, ON
   20-22: GnomeCon - Savannah, GA
   20-22: Odyssey Con - Madison, WI
   20-22: T-MODE - Rockville, MD
   20-22: Tora-Con - Rochester, NY
   20-22: TrekTrax Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

   21-22: Lyrids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!
   21-22: Nadeshicon - Quebec City, Quebec

   22: CoJ Board meeting, 6pm - Skype
   22: Mark Racop's birthday

   23: Jeff Thompson's birthday

   24: Susan Parker's birthday

   27: The Raven
   27-29: Anime Central - Rosemont, IL
   27-29: EerieCon - Niagara Falls, NY
   27-29: Penguicon - Troy, MI
   27-29: Shinboku Con - Elyria, OH

   28: Brian Davidson's birthday
   28: New Astronomers Group - McCloud Nature Park

   29: Theresa Shidler's birthday
   29: Harry Bunn's birthday
   29: Ash Comic Show - Ramada Inn

May 2012:

   3-6: Morphicon - Columbus, OH

   4: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   4: Marvel's The Avengers
   4-5: Eta Aquarids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!
   4-6: Boreal - Quebec City, Quebec
   4-6: CoreCon - Moorhead, MN
   4-6: No Brand Con - Eau Claire, WI

   5: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church

   11: Barry Childs-Helton's birthday
   11: Dark Shadows
   11-12: Zenkaikon - Oaks, PA

   12: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory
   12: Anime-Park - Canton, MI

   17: Kat Robertson's birthday
   17-20: Nebula Awards Weekend - Crystal City, VA

   18: Mike Wickliff's birthday
   18-20: IAS Link Campout - Link Observatory
   18-20: Mobicon - Mobile, AL
   18-20: Sci-Fi in the Valley Con - Johnstown, PA

   19: Cheryl Miller Andrews's birthday
   19: Debbie Happli's birthday
   19: South Bend ComicCon - South Bend, IN

   20: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library
   20: Annular Solar Eclipse

   24-27: Animazement - Raleigh, NC

   25: Chernobyl Diaries
   25: Men in Black 3
   25-27: Anime North - Toronto, ON
   25-27: ConQuesT - Kansas City, MO
   25-27: Forge Gaming & Comics Con - Lexington, KY
   25-27: TimeGate - Atlanta-Perimeter, GA
   25-28: Balticon - Baltimore, MD
   25-28: MediaWest*Con - Lansing, MI
   25-28: WisCon - Madison, WI

   26: CoJ Board meeting, 1pm - VMCC
   26: New Astronomers Group - McCloud Nature Park

   27: Lynn Ciurej's birthday

   31: Katt McConnell's birthday

**************************

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus will be Saturday, March 3,
2012, at the LifeJourney Church (formerly Jesus Metropolitan Community
Church - same location, new name), 2950 55th Place, Indianapolis, IN,
starting at 7:00 pm. There is a ConCom meeting preceding it from 5:15
to 6:45.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Lynette Cowper
   Vice-President - Kyra Shidler
   Secretary - Laura Edwards
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 32 ConChair - Kathie Thompson
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper