[CircularOfJanus] January 2014 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Tue Dec 31 13:30:43 EST 2013

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 January 2014
 Volume 35, Issue 1

Contents:
   Editor's Thoughts - Lynette Cowper
   Nominations for Office
   New Books - from Locus
   Meeting Agenda
   Mark Your Calendars
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

============================

Editor's Thoughts
 by Lynette R. F. Cowper

It's the start of another year! Most of us take some time to review the
previous year and consider what went well and what went poorly in our
lives, and how to improve in the following year.

I'd like to ask everyone to consider doing this with the club as well--
What did we do well? Were there events you'd like to see us do again? Was
there anything we stopped doing in 2013 (or previous years) that you miss?

We're getting ready to elect new club officers. A review of the current
nominations shows some offices with only one or two nominees.  Please, if
you have an interest in steering the club in the year to come and you've
been a member for the full years of 2012 and 2013, consider running. Don't
be shy of nominating yourself! It isn't ego, it just shows your commitment
to serve.

Don't want to be a club officer, but want to serve the club in some other
way? There are numerous appointed positions that always need volunteers.
Speak to the newly-elected President after the meeting on what you can do.

Let's make 2014 the best year yet for the CoJ!

============================
Can't Make the Meeting?
   Be sure your dues are paid up (You can do so from the website via
PayPal) and make sure to contact Tina Wong, our Election Officer, at
election at circleofjanus dot org with a cell phone number or absentee
ballot, or send one with an attending friend or family member. The
current nominations are below!

============================

Current Nominations for Office
 (Not including Declines)

InConJunction 36 (2016) ConChair
   Lynette Cowper

President
   Lynette Cowper
   Mike Cowper
   Laura Edwards
   Ricky Lile

Vice President
   Lynette Cowper
   Joe Greene
   [Anjala Dick (Declined via email)]

Secretary
   Kai Cowper
   Lynette Cowper
   Laura Edwards
   Beckie Margedant

Treasurer
   Laura Edwards
   [Steven Kendall (Thinking about it.)]

Sergeant-at-Arms
   Kai Cowper
   Mike Cowper
   Joe Greene
   Ricky Lile
   Beckie Margedant
   [Dillan Dick (Not present to accept/decline.)]
   [Kent Raquet (Is still considering.) ]

============================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

January 2014
   Armstrong, Kelley • Brazen • (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Barker, Clive • Chiliad • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Bledsoe, Alex • He Drank, and Saw the Spider • (Tor, hc)
   Datlow, Ellen, ed. • Lovecraft's Monsters • (Tachyon Publications,
anth, tpb)
   Golden, Christopher, ed. • Dark Duets • (Harper Voyager, anth, hc)
   Golden, Christopher • Snowblind • (St. Martin's, hc)
   Haldeman, Joe • Work Done for Hire • (Ace, hc)
   Lackey, Mercedes, & Cody Martin, Dennis Lee & Veronica Giguere •
Revolution • (Baen, hc)
   Modesitt, L. E., Jr. • Rex Regis • (Tor, hc)
   + Pinborough, Sarah • Mayhem • (Quercus/Jo Fletcher US, hc)
   Sagara, Michelle • Touch • (DAW, hc)
   Vaughn, Carrie • Dreams of the Golden Age • (Tor, hc)
   Walton, Jo • What Makes This Book So Great • (Tor, nf, hc)
   Wendig, Chuck • The Cormorant • (Angry Robot US)
   Yellowboy, Erzebet • The Bone Whistle • (Prime/Masque)

February 2014
   + Aaronovitch, Ben • Broken Homes • (DAW)
   Anderson, Poul • The Collected Short Works of Poul Anderson, Volume 6:
A Bicycle Built for Brew • (NESFA Press, cln, hc)
   Block, Francesca Lia • Teen Spirit • (HarperTeen, nvl-ya, hc)
   Forstchen, William R. • Pillar to the Sky • (Tor, hc)
   Friedman, C. S. • Dreamwalker • (DAW, hc)
   Lee, Sharon • Carousel Sun • (Baen, tpb)
   + McDonald, Ian • Empress of the Sun • (Prometheus/Pyr, nvl-ya, hc)
   Mcguire, Seanan • Letters to the Pumpkin King • (NESFA Press, nf, hc)
   McKiernan, Dennis L. • Stolen Crown • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Peek, Ben • Dead Americans • (ChiZine Publications, cln, tpb)
   Steele, Allen • V-S Day • (Ace, hc)
   Tierney, Kathleen • Red Delicious • (Penguin/Roc, tpb)
   VanderMeer, Jeff • Annihilation • (Farrar Straus Giroux/FSG Originals,
tpb)
   Weber, David • Like a Mighty Army • (Tor, hc)
   Wright, John C. • The Judge of Ages • (Tor, hc)

============================

January Meeting Agenda

 The Circle of Janus
 January 4, 2014

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests and member attendance
    November meeting minutes
 Old Business (Due to the length of time elections take, they will be
interspersed with other business)
    Nominations & Elections-- Election Officer runs these
       InConJunction 36 ConChair
          Nominees
             Lynette Cowper
             Anyone else?
          Voting
       President
          Nominees
             Lynette Cowper
             Mike Cowper
             Laura Edwards
             Ricky Lile
             Anyone else?
          Voting
       Vice-President
          Nominees
             Lynette Cowper
             Joe Greene
             Anyone else?
          Voting
       Secretary
          Nominees
             Kai Cowper
             Lynette Cowper
             Laura Edwards
             Beckie Margedant
             Anyone else?
          Voting
       Treasurer
          Nominees
             Laura Edwards
             Steven Kendall (Thinking about it.)
             Anyone else?
          Voting
       Sergeant-at-Arms
          Nominees
             Kai Cowper
             Mike Cowper
             Joe Greene
             Ricky Lile
             Beckie Margedant
             Dillan Dick (Not present to accept/decline.)
             Kent Raquet (Is still considering.)
          Anyone else?
          Voting
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 34
    Convention Report, InConJunction 35
    Board Report
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Member Services
       Audit Committee
       Archivist
       Quartermaster
       Outreach Coordinator
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Member Activities
       January non-meeting?
       February after-meeting
    Anything else?
 New Business
    Anything?
 Announcements - one per person please
 Close of meeting - Chaos

============================

 Mark Your Calendars

January 2014

   2-3: Quadrantids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   3: Whoosier Network - Life Journey Church
   3: Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
   3-4: ShadowCon - Memphis, TN
   3-5: Anime-Zap! - East Peoria, IL

   4: CoJ Meeting and Elections – VMCC

   9-12: Ichibancon - Concord, NC

   10: Her
   10: The Legend of Hercules
   10-11: KotoriCon - Sewell, NJ
   10-12: Ahn!Con - Kansas City, MO
   10-12: GAFilk - Atlanta, GA

   11: South Bend Comic Book Con - South Bend, IN

   17: Devil's Due
   17-19: ConFusion - Ann Arbor, MI
   17-19: DeCONPression - Columbus, OH
   17-19: MarsCon - Williamsburg, VA
   17-20: Arisia - Boston, MA

   18-19: Murfreesboro Anime and Comic Kon - Murfreesboro, TN

   19: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   24: I, Frankenstein
   24-26: Chattacon - Chattanooga, TN
   24-26: Ohayocon - Columbus, OH

   25: Rob Pyatt's birthday
   25-26: Setsucon - State College, PA

   31-2/2: SuperCon - Minneapolis, MN

February 2014

   1: CoJ Meeting - VMCC

   6: Ren Cowper's birthday
   6-9: Capricon - Wheeling, IL

   7: Whoosier Network - Life Journey Church
   7-9: AlmaCon - Alma, MI
   7-9: Kawa Kon - St. Louis, MO
   7-9: Marmalade Dog - Kalamazoo, MI

   8: Lynette R. F. Cowper's birthday

   9: Kyle Casteel's birthday

   12: RoboCop

   14: Vampire Academy
   14-16: Anime Milwaukee - Milwaukee, WI
   14-16: Boskone - Boston, MA
   14-16: Con of the North - Minneapolis, MN
   14-16: Farpoint - Timonium, MD
   14-16: Kami-Con - Birmingham, AL
   14-16: Katsucon - National Harbor, MD

   16: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   21-23: Con-G - Guelph, Ontario
   21-23: ConNooga - Chattanooga, TN
   21-23: FASFAC's UD CON - Dayton, OH
   21-23: MystiCon - Roanoke, VA
   21-23: No Such Convention - Poughkeepsie, NY
   21-23: Who's Yer Con - Clarion Waterfront Hotel

   22: Fort Wayne Comic Book Con - Ft. Wayne, IN

   23: Ash Comic Book Show - Ramada Inn at E 21st
   23: NWI Comic-Con - Schererville, IN

   26: Samantha Crawford's birthday

   27 -3/2: Intercon - Boston, MA

   28(29): Howard Tayler's birthday
   28-3/2: GeneriCon - Troy, NY
   28-3/2: Plattecon - Platteville, WI
   28-3/2: Ring of Fire Con - Virginia Beach, VA
   28-3/2: Visioncon - Springfield, MO

March 2014

   1: CoJ Meeting - VMCC

   7: Whoosier Network - Life Journey Church
   7-9: Fire & Ice - Manitowoc, WI

   8: Tomkat Conventions March 2014 Show - Hammond FOP 51
   8-9: Tora-Con - Rochester, NY

   9: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   12: Randy Porter's birthday

   13: Cathy Dailey's birthday
   13: Janet Dailey's birthday

   14-15: Naka-Kon - Overland Park, KS
   14-16: Indiana Comic Con - Indpls Convention Center
   14-16: Lexington Comic and Toy Con - Lexington, KY
   14-16: Lunacon - Rye Brook, NY
   14-16: Millennicon - Cincinnati, OH
   14-16: Planet Comicon - Kansas City, MO
   14-16: Triad Anime Convention - Winston-Salem, NC

   15: Arabella Rollison's birthday
   15-16: SpringFestNY - Brooklyn, NY

   17: Amanda Dailey-Weaver's birthday
   17: Dee Ann Moore's birthday

   20-23: Furry Weekend Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

   21: Mike & Lynette Cowper's anniversary
   21: Divergent
   21-23: Anime Boston - Boston, MA
   21-23: FantaSciCon - Dalton, GA
   21-23: Kitsune Kon - Appleton, WI
   21-23: MidSouthCon - Memphis, TN
   21-23: Vericon - Cambridge, MA

   25: Neil Thompson's birthday

   26: Chris Canary's birthday

   27-30: Gary Con - Lake Geneva, WI

   28: A Haunted House 2
   28-30: Anime Punch: Armageddicon Salvation - Columbus, OH
   28-30: Conbust - Northampton, MA
   28-30: DLux Entertainment Expo - Mt Clemens, MI
   28-30: EvilleCon - Evansville, IN

   29-30: Jaycon - Elizabethtown, PA

============================

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus is Saturday, January 4, 2014,
at Valley Mills Christian Church (where we had the Anniversary Party
and the After-the-Con Bash), 5555 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis, IN,
starting at 7:00 pm. There is a ConCom meeting preceding it at 5:30.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Kat Robertson
   Vice-President - John Belden
   Secretary - Lynette Cowper
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli
   InConJunction 35 ConChair - Jeff Thompson

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo