[CircularOfJanus] August 2013 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Sun Jul 28 20:55:47 EDT 2013

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 July 27, 2013
 Volume 34, Issue 8

Contents:
   A Brief Report on InConJunction 33 – Mel Kocias
   Summary of the June Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the June Board Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the July Board Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Mark Your Calendars
   Tidbits from Our Members
   August Meeting Agenda
   New Books - from Locus
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

============================

A Brief Report on InConJunction 33
 by Mel Kocias

We had a convention! (Yaaaaaay!)

Overall, it was quite a success, thanks to everyone who took part! A round
of applause, pat on the back, and many kudos to all who volunteered,
especially to those who went the extra mile to make sure that all of our
guests and attendees had a fantastic time. Your efforts most definitely
made a difference.

We hope to see you all back again, next year!

============================

Summary of the June Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The CoJ met on June 1 at LifeJourney Church. We were missing
Sergeant-at-Arms Ricky Lile, and InConJunction 34 and 35 Chairs Drew
Happli and Jeff Thompson. All other officers were present. Kat reported on
the health of her mother and then we introduced guests, podcasters Dusty
and Craig. The May meeting minutes were accepted as published, Kent handed
out Treasurer's Reports, and then we had a report from Mel on
InConJunction 33. Andy gave a brief Board report, then we moved to various
committees.
Member Services still needs current addresses, the Audit Committee still
hadn't met yet, and our Quartermasters would be inventorying the storage
space on the 15th. Archivist Bob is currently at the “carefully piled on
my desk” phase and was planning to digitizing everything after the con.
Our Outreach Coordinator Laura was still looking for volunteers for Indy
Pride in June and Pagan Pride in September. We're looking into two
possible locations-- a church near the U. of Indy which meets our criteria
quite well, but is a bit steep on the price and Valley Mills Christian
Church, where the Board currently meets, which is very inexpensive but
isn't centrally located and isn't as accessible to bus riders. Kat was
going to see about negotiating on the price at the U. of Indy. We
discussed possible future meeting activities and non-meeting get-togethers
and went over the After-the-Con Bash, which will be September 7, location
yet to be determined. We still have some member cards for folks. There was
no New Business. We moved to announcements, most of which are no longer
relevant. Here's the ones that still are: The Darksiders are starting up a
convention, Nov 1-3 at the Clarion. Kat's son Jason graduated from high
school and she has a new job as director of nursing for a home health
agency. And that was it for June!

============================

Summary of the June Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met on June 15th at the Marriott. All officers were present
except InConJunction 35 Chair, Jeff Thompson. We had a bunch of CoJ
members and InConJunction ConCom folks attending as well. The previous
Board meeting minutes were approved as published, then Kent gave a brief
verbal Treasurer's report. Andy decided to save con reports for later, so
we went into Old Business. Kat was still waiting to hear on price
negotiation with the church near the U of Indy. We hope to have the
anniversary party at wherever the 2014 meetings will be. We discussed
moving the November meeting due to schedule conflict with the Darkside
Con. We talked about plans for Pagan Pride and booth décor, some A/V
needs, some more permanent reusable signage, and the Bash. Mel then
reported on this year's InCon, followed by Drew for 2014. We went over
plans for the July Board meeting, and that was it!

============================

Summary of the July Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met on July 20th at Valley Mills Christian Church. All officers
except Secretary Lynette Cowper were present. CoJ members Kathie Thompson,
and Anjala and Dillan Dick also attended. The minutes for the June meeting
were approved as published. Kent didn't have a formal report, but said it
looked like the convention made money.

Drew reported on InConJunction 34. Positions are being filled, but we've
still got some open spots. He wants every department head to have a
dedicated assistant who can fill in at any time. There was some discussion
on ConCom hotel rooms, GoHs, budget adjustments, and problems with certain
volunteers not fulfilling their responsibilities and hogging food at the
pre-con and dead dog parties. Ricky said Days of the Dead is not the same
weekend as InCon next year. Discussion then turned to Fan GoHs, having
more folks from the online community, and being clearer with Featured
Guests what benefits we are and are not providing.

Jeff doesn't have any GoHs lined up for 2015 as of yet, but expects to be
hearing back from some folks soon.

We then discussed this year's con. Topics covered included the use of
Square, the budget for the charity auction, an incident at the con
involving a derogatory comment during the Meet the CoJ panel and the need
for folks who are in any way representing the con or the CoJ to be more
aware of how their comments may reflect on us, some stolen items at the
con and how do we deal with personal items being used for the benefit of
the convention, keeping supplies on hand for various departments, possibly
putting some quotes from GoHs and attendees on the website, and the
allocation of Creators' Alley tables and space.

In Old Business, Kat hadn't heard back yet on the price negotiation with
the church near the U of Indy. If she hasn't heard anything by the August
meeting, we'll book Valley Mills Christian Church for the Anniversary
Party and the 2014 meetings. There was some discussion as to how to handle
bus riders getting from the stop at Ameriplex over to the church if we do
go with VMCC.

Anj said she might need to buy stamps soon. Drew suggested folks keep
their eyes out for good prices on birthday cards as well and, if they can,
buy them and then get reimbursed.

Ricky hadn't bought a projector for A/V since the Darkside folks were
lending us one. He intends to do more looking for a good deal now that the
time pressure is off.

We discussed the Bash (Kat would have some info on parks at the August
meeting), the Audit Committee, a new display for Outreach, what the CoJ
and InCon could do to promote the Darkside Convention and other local
events, getting the storage facility better sorted and labeled, incident
reports at the con, and signage.

In New Business, the Board had been discussing in email coming up with
some sort of anti-harassment policy, after several recent incidents at
other cons has inspired a number of SF authors, artists, editors, and fans
to refuse to attend cons which do not have them. As Lynette, who had
initiated the conversation and offered a first draft, wasn't present, the
Board didn't go over it in detail. Kat offered that anything developed for
the con should apply to the club as well. Jeff suggested that it might
make sense for this to be a dedicated meeting like a Bylaws Caucus where
members have the chance to have input.

There was a brief discussion about getting everyone who needed it access
to the surveys on our wiki.

And that was it!

============================

Mark Your Calendars

August 2013

   1: Susan Rati Lane's birthday
   1-4: Indiana Family Star Party - Camp Cullum

   2: Whoosier Network - LifeJourney
   2-3: Daycon Clarksville - Clarksville, TN
   2-4: Atomic Lollipop - Toronto, ON
   2-4: Diversicon 21 - St. Paul, MN
   2-4: Go!Daiko-Con - Pontiac, MI
   2-4: Tokyo in Tulsa - Tulsa, OK

   3: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   3: Kent Raquet's birthday
   3-4: AniBash - Rochester, NY

   7: Indy Knights Meeting - Athenaeum
   7: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

   8-11: Wizard World Chicago Comic Con - Rosemont, IL

   9: Elysium
   9-11: Otakon - Baltimore, MD

   11: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library
   11-13: Perseid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   15-18: Gen Con Indy 2013 – Indiana Convention Center

   16: JOBS
   16: Kick-Ass 2
   16-18: Motaku - Kansas City, MO
   16-18: Otakuthon - Montréal, Quebec

   17: McCloud Star Gaze - McCloud Nature Park

   21: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

   22: Keith Chike's birthday
   22-25: FanExpo Canada - Toronto, ON

   23: You're Next
   23-25: Geek.Kon - Madison, WI
   23-25: Intervention - Rockville, MD
   23-25: MatsuriCon - Columbus, OH
   23-25: SaikouCon - Breinigsville, PA

   24: Fort Wayne Comic Book Con - Fort Wayne, IN
   24-25: Kita-Kon - Thunder Bay, ON

   25: Scott Picha's birthday
   25: Ash Show - Ramada East

   29-9/2: LoneStarCon 3 (Worldcon) - San Antonio, TX

   30: Link Campout - Goethe Link Observatory
   30-9/1: Chiisaicon - Shepherdsville, KY
   30-9/1: Meta Con - Minneapolis, MN
   30-9/1: Queen City Conquest 2013 – Buffalo, NY
   30-9/2: Dragon*Con - Atlanta, GA
   30-9/2: TCEP 20: The Most Interesting Con in the World – Sterling, VA

   31: Deidre Rynard's birthday

September 2013

   2: Chris Umbreit's birthday

   4: Indy Knights General Meeting - Rathskellar

   6: Riddick
   6: Whoosier Network Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6-8: Cincy ComiCon - Covington, KY
   6-8: DoDeca-Con - Columbia, MO
   6-8: Kentokyocon - Lexington, KY
   6-8: Midoricon - West Portsmouth, OH

   7: After-the-Con Bash - TBA
   7-8: Baltimore Comic-Con - Baltimore, MD
   7-8: Northern Michigan Anime Convention - Traverse City, MI

   8: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   9: Mike Cowper's birthday

   13: Insidious Chapter 2
   13-15: Anime USA - Washington, DC
   13-15: Cincinnati Comic Expo - Cincinnati, OH
   13-15: Nauticon - Provincetown, MA
   13-15: ScareFest – Lexington, KY
   13-15: Science Fiction: The Interdisciplinary Genre - Hamilton, ON

   14: McCloud Star Gaze - McCloud Nature Park
   14-15: Nashville Comic Expo - Nashville, TN

   16: Mark Shidler's birthday

   17: Lane Wickliff's birthday

   19: John Belden's birthday

   20: The Wizard of Oz IMAX 3D
   20-22: Aoi Uma Con - Louisville, KY
   20-22: Ramencon - Merrillville, IN
   20-22: RocCon - Rochester, NY
   20-22: Wizard World Ohio Comic Con - Columbus, OH

   26: Laura Hohman's birthday

   27: Jeff & Kathie Thompson's Anniversary
   27-28: Maneki Neko Con - Chicago Heights, IL
   27-29: Anime Weekend Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
   27-29: Link Campout - Goethe Link Observatory
   27-29: OmegaCon - Charlottesville, VA
   27-29: Pittsburgh Comicon - Monroeville, PA

   28: CoJ Board Meeting - VMCC
   28-29: Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo - Boston, MA

   30: Alec Rollison's birthday

October 2013

   2: Indy Knights General Meeting - Rathskellar

   4: Gravity
   4: The Shadow King
   4: Whoosier Network Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   4-6: Archon - St. Louis, MO

   5: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   5: NyanCon - Kirtland, OH

   10-13: New York Comic Con - New York, NY

   11-13: Akai Con - Nashville, TN
   11-13: Capclave - Gaithersburg, MD
   11-13: Encounters - Wichita, KS
   11-13: Tsubasacon - Huntington, WV

   12: Pam Easterday's birthday
   12: McCloud Public Star Gaze - McCloud Nature Park

   13: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   14: Tony Patterson's birthday

   17-20: Con on the Cob – Hudson, Ohio

   18: Carrie
   18: Anjala Dick's birthday
   18-20: Anime Fusion - Bloomington, MN
   18-20: Wizard World Nashville Comic Con - Nashville, TN

   19: Paul Vincenti's birthday

   20: Dave Spicer's birthday
   20-22: Orionid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the Sky!

   23: Emily Rodgers's birthday

   25-27: Banzaicon - Columbia, SC

   26: Kai Cowper's birthday
   26: IAS Meeting - Holcomb Observatory
   26: South Bend Comic Book Con - South Bend, IN
   26-27: Unplugged Expo - Toronto, ON

   27: Charissa Bihl Spencer's birthday
   27: Ash Comic Book Show - Indianapolis, IN

   30: Joe Greene's birthday

   31-11/3: World Fantasy Convention - Brighton, England
   31-11/3: Youmacon - Detroit, MI

============================

Tidbits from Our Members

   Bob Richey: As a reminder, if you have any COJ materials for the
archive; electronic or physical, please bring them to the next meeting.
 If you have something that you don't want to part with permanently, I
can scan it and return it to you at the following meeting.

   Cheryl Miller-Andrews is looking for book donations to a small school
library. Most of the kids are not into SF. The school is grade 7-12,
but many of the kids are below grade level in reading. Anyone that has
books to donate can bring it to her at the meeting.

============================

August Meeting Agenda

The Circle of Janus
 August Meeting
 August 3, 2013

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests and member attendance
    June meeting minutes
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 33
    Convention Report, InConJunction 34
    Convention Report, InConJunction 35
    Board Report
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Member Services
       Audit Committee
       Archivist
       Quartermaster
       Outreach Coordinator
          Pagan Pride
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Meeting Location
    Member Activities
       After-the-Con Bash
       September non-meeting
       October meeting
       October non-meeting
       November meeting
       Anniversary Party
    Member Cards
    Anything else?
 New Business
    Anti-Harassment Policy
    Anything else?
 Announcements - one per person please
 Close of meeting – Chaos

============================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

August 2013
   Andrews, Ilona • Magic Rises • (Ace)
   Armstrong, Kelley • Omens • (Penguin/Dutton, hc)
   Atwood, Margaret • MaddAddam • (McClelland & Stewart (Canada), hc)
   Atwood, Margaret • MaddAddam • (McClelland & Stewart (Canada), hc)
   + Barlow, Toby • Babayaga • (Farrar Straus Giroux, hc)
   Block, Francesca Lia • Love in the Time of Global Warming •
(Macmillan/Holt, nvl-ya, hc)
   Brom • The Art of Brom • (Flesk Publications, art, hc)
   Brown, Eric • Weird Space: Satan's Reach • (Rebellion/Abaddon US, tpb)
   Enge, James • Wrath-Bearing Tree • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Gilman, Greer • Cry Murder! in a Small Voice • (Small Beer Press)
   Goodkind, Terry • The Third Kingdom • (Tor, hc)
   Goyer, David S., & Michael Cassutt • Heaven's Fall • (Ace, hc)
   Guran, Paula, ed. • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror: 2013 Edition
• (Prime Books, anth, tpb)
   + Hunt, Stephen • Jack Cloudie • (Tor, hc)
   Johnson, Tenea D., & Steve Berman, eds. • Heiresses of Russ 2013: The
Year's Best Lesbian Speculative Fiction • (Lethe Press, anth, tpb)
   Kadrey, Richard • Kill City Blues • (Harper Voyager US, hc)
   Lain, Douglas • Billy Moon • (Tor, hc)
   Lawrence, Mark • Emperor of Thorns • (Ace, hc)
   McGuire, Seanan • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse • (ISFiC Press, cln, hc)
   Mooney, J. E., & Bill Fawcett, ed. • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in
Honor of Gene Wolfe • (Tor, anth, hc)
   Novik, Naomi • Blood of Tyrants • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Pinborough, Sarah • The Shadow of the Soul • (Ace, tpb)
   Richardson, Kat • Possession • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Shea, Michael • Assault on Sunrise • (Tor, hc)
   Silverberg, Robert • The Collected Stories of Robert Silverberg, Volume
Eight: Hot Times in Magma City • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Tem, Steve Rasnic • Celestial Inventories • (ChiZine Publications, tpb)

September 2013
   + Atwood, Margaret • MaddAddam • (Random House/Doubleday/Talese, hc)
   Barnes, John • The Last President • (Ace, hc)
   Bear, Elizabeth • The Book of Iron • (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Block, Francesca Lia • Teen Spirit • (HarperTeen, nvl-ya, hc)
   Bowes, Richard • If Angels Fight • (Fairwood Press, cln, tpb)
   Brust, Steven, & Skyler White • The Incrementalists • (Tor, hc)
   Carson, Rae • The Bitter Kingdom • (HarperCollins/Greenwillow, nvl-ya, hc)
   Crowther, Peter • Jewels in the Dust • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Di Filippo, Paul • WikiWorld • (ChiZine Publications, cln, tpb)
   Duncan, Dave • King of Swords • (Amazon/47North, tpb)
   Farmer, Nancy • The Lord of Opium • (Simon & Schuster, nvl-ya, hc)
   Griffin, Kate • Saxon's Bane • (Rebellion/Solaris US)
   Gunn, James • Transcendental • (Tor, hc)
   King, Stephen • Doctor Sleep • (Simon & Schuster/Scribner, hc)
   Maas, Sarah J. • Crown of Midnight • (Bloomsbury USA, nvl-ya, hc)
   McGuire, Seanan • Chimes at Midnight • (DAW)
   McKinley, Robin • Shadows • (Penguin/Paulsen, nvl-ya, hc)
   Modesitt, L. E., Jr. • The One-Eyed Man • (Tor, hc)
   Ness, Patrick • More Than This • (Candlewick Press, nvl-ya, hc)
   Robinson, Kim Stanley • Shaman • (Orbit US, hc)
   Sagara, Michelle • Cast in Sorrow • (Harlequin/Luna, tpb)
   Sanderson, Brandon • Steelheart • (Random House/Delacorte, nvl-ya, hc)
   Scalzi, John • The Mallet of Loving Correction: Selected Writings From
Whatever, 2008-2012 • (Subterranean Press, nf, hc)
   Swirsky, Rachel • How the World Became Quiet • (Subterranean Press,
cln, hc)
   Teppo, Mark • The Artifice of Nature • (Amazon/ 47North)
   Waldrop, Howard • Horse of a Different Color • (Small Beer Press, cln, hc)
   Williams, Tad • Happy Hour in Hell • (DAW, hc)

============================

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus will be Saturday, August 3,
2013, at the LifeJourney Church, 2950 55th Place, Indianapolis, IN,
starting at 7:00 pm. There is an initial ConCom meeting preceding it
from 5:30 to 6:45. Randy Porter will be speaking on the history and
highlights of Gen Con after the meeting.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Kat Robertson
   Vice-President - John Belden
   Secretary - Lynette Cowper
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli
   InConJunction 35 ConChair - Jeff Thompson

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo