[CircularOfJanus] November 2013 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Fri Nov 1 17:18:58 EDT 2013

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 November 2013
 Volume 34, Issue 11

Contents:
   Notes from the President - Kat Robertson
   Summary of the October Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Nominations for Office
   Mark Your Calendars
   Procrastinators Halloween Party
   New Books - from Locus
   November Meeting Agenda
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

============================

Notes from the President
 by Kat Robertson

Hey all!

I have a special announcement regarding the Procrastinators Halloween
Party. As usual, we will have a pitch in, costume contest, and prizes for
the best costumes. We will also have some gaming. But I am happy to
announce that Katt and Sean McConnell from Wax Chaotic will be coming to
perform a short set or two of mysterious Halloween music!

We are very lucky to have these wonderful performers join us.

Start posting what you are bringing for the party. As usual, club still
provides drinks and some basic chips or other snacks as well as paper
products.

This meeting is still at the life journey church on 56th street. Meeting
at 7, party starting around 8.

Hope to see you all there!

Kat

============================

Summary of the October Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The CoJ met on October 5 at LifeJourney Church. We were missing Vice
President John Belden and InConJunction 33 Chair Mel Kocias. All other
officers were present. We had only a couple of guests-- Brad Sutton and
Logan Abney, friends of the Cowpers. We had around 26 adults and a couple
kids in attendance.

The August meeting minutes were accepted as published. Drew reported for
Mel on InConJunction 33. We made a bunch of money, which we believe was
mostly due to higher attendance and Dealers' Room table sales. Drew
reported that the Science GoH for InConJunction 34 will be Rob Pyatt.
There are still some positions on the ConCom. He's looking for assistants
willing to shoulder significant portions of the work for their department.
He reminded everyone there will be a ConCom in November before the main
meeting. Jeff reported for InConJunction 35 that he has contacted some
potential GoHs, but is open to suggestions. The theme is “The Future Is
Now”-- a look at retro SF and how some visions of the future from the 40s,
50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s are here now. Kent gave a brief Treasurer's Report
and then Andy briefly covered the last Board meeting.

Laura reported that Pagan Pride went well. She's looking for other
outreach opportunities and has been in contact with Pop Con.

In Old Business, Kat reminded everyone we would be at LifeJourney in
November and then would move to Valley Mills Christian Church starting
with the Anniversary Party in December. In Member Activities, we would
have our annual Procrastinators' Halloween Party in November after the
meeting. This will be a pitch-in. There will be prizes for best costume,
so wear a costume and bring delicious food. December Anniversary Party
will be at VMCC. The club provides meat, drink, and paper products.
Everyone else provides desserts and sides. Discussions of the
Anti-harassment Policy will be taken up after the January elections.

In New Business, we opened nominations for club office. The nominees are
listed below. That was the only item of New Business.

We moved to announcements. Tina said DarkSide con has been postponed till
2014. Andy has a new grandson! Randy's brother passed away last week. He
thanks everyone for their sympathy. He also mentioned Whoosyercon and
GaryCon aren't conflicting in 2014, nor are Moto GP and Gen Con. He
recommended the Reaper Kickstarter. Kat said Wax Chaotic is doing a
Kickstarter so they can do a tour. Ricky said Five Year Mission is doing a
Kickstarter for the Year 3 album and to reprint Year 1. Lynette did a
couple announcements for John and Wendy-- Farce of the Rings (Or How I Met
Your Mordor) at the theater in Lebanon for the next couple of weeks on
Fridays and Saturdays (See John's review on the CoJ Facebook page); and
Yes! Cinema in Columbus is working on getting the 50th anniversary Doctor
Who to show the night it airs. Lynette and Mike were doing a play at
church the following weekend, and the two of them and Drew would be doing
Munchkin demos at some of the local Game Stops. Kat and the rest of the
folks at INWAP had heard from their fulfillment company that Barnes and
Noble is doing a test market with Zombie Fried.

And that was it for the October meeting.

============================

Current Nominations for Office
 (Not including Declines)
   InConJunction 36 (2016) ConChair
      Lynette Cowper
      John Belden (Not present to accept/decline.)

   President
      Lynette Cowper
      Mike Cowper
      Laura Edwards
      John Belden (Not present to accept/decline.)

   Vice President
      Lynette Cowper
      Laura Edwards
      John Belden (Not present to accept/decline.)
      Kai Cowper (Is still thinking about it.)
      Anjala Dick (Not present to accept/decline.)

   Secretary
      Kai Cowper
      Lynette Cowper
      Laura Edwards
      Beckie Margedant

   Treasurer
      Laura Edwards
      John Belden (Not present to accept/decline.)

   Sergeant-at-Arms
      Kai Cowper
      Mike Cowper
      Ricky Lile
      Beckie Margedant
      Dillan Dick (Not present to accept/decline.)
      Kent Raquet (Is still considering.)

============================

Mark Your Calendars

November 2013

   1: Ender's Game
   1: Free Birds
   1: Whoosier Network Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   1-3: Albacon - Albany, NY
   1-3: Convention Who - Richmond Hill, ON
   1-3: Gamehole Con – Madison, WI
   1-3: Geek Media Expo - Franklin, TN
   1-3: HammerCon – Hamilton, Ontario
   1-3: Izumicon – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
   1-3: Kamikon - Louisville, KY
   1-3: KuroKiiro Festival - Pittsburgh, PA
   1-3: N2U Anime & Gaming Convention – Ottawa, Ontario
   1-3: Nekocon - Hampton, VA
   1-3: SugoiCon - Sharonville, OH

   2: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church

   5: Andrew Looney's birthday

   6: Indy Knights General Meeting - Rathskellar

   8: Thor: The Dark World
   8-9: Urban Action Expo - York, NY
   8-10: Anime Blast Chattanooga - Chattanooga, TN
   8-10: Atomacon - North Charleston, SC
   8-10: MEPACON - Clark Summit, PA
   8-10: OmegaCon - Siren, WI
   8-10: PentaCon - Grand Wayne Center, Fort Wayne
   8-10: Philcon – Cherry Hill, New Jersey
   8-10: Windycon - Lombard, IL

   9-10: Quinte Mini Con – Belleville, Ontario

   10: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   11: Steven Marsh's birthday

   15-16: Nerdacon - Columbus, GA
   15-17: Astronomicon - Rochester, NY
   15-17: Fall in! - Lancaster, PA
   15-17: Kollision Con - Rosemont, IL
   15-17: MACE - Charlotte, NC

   16: CoJ Board Meeting - VMCC
   16: Tomkat Convention - Hammond, IN
   16-18: Leonid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   22: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
   22-24: Daisho Con - Wisconsin Dells, WI
   22-24: Ecto Con - St Louis, MO
   22-24: Midwest Furfest - Rosemont, IL
   22-24: U-Con - Ann Arbor, MI

   23-24: Eerie Frequency Film, Toy, Comic, & Pop Culture Expo - Niles, OH
   23-24: VA Comicon - Richmond, VA

   27: Frozen

   28: Mary Bischoff's birthday

   29-12/1: Starbase Indy - Indianapolis
   29-12/1: Chicago TARDIS - Lombard, IL
   29-12/1: Darkovercon - Timonium, MD
   29-12/1: SFContario - Toronto, ON

December 2013

   4: Crystal Wolf's birthday
   4: Indy Knights General Meeting - Rathskellar

   6: Whoosier Network Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6-8: Steel City Con - Monroeville, PA
   6-8: Yama-Con - Pigeon Forge, TN

   7: CoJ Anniversary Party - VMCC

   8: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   12: Wendy Carson's birthday

   13: Laura Edwards's birthday
   13: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
   13-15: Geminid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!
   13-15: Anime Crossroads - Indianapolis Marriott East
   13-15: Con+Alt+Delete - Lisle, IL
   13-15: DomoCon - Lisle, IL
   13-15: F3 - Part Deux: Remixed - Branson, MO

   16: George Starkey's birthday

   20: Walking With Dinosaurs

   23: Gordon Huxford's birthday

   27-29: Anime Apocalypse - Rockford, IL

   29: Ash Comic Book Show - Indianapolis, IN

January 2014

   3: Whoosier Network - Life Journey Church
   3: Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
   3-4: ShadowCon - Memphis, TN
   3-5: Anime-Zap! - East Peoria, IL

   4: CoJ Meeting and Elections – VMCC

   9-12: Ichibancon - Concord, NC

   10: Her
   10-11: KotoriCon - Sewell, NJ
   10-12: Ahn!Con - Kansas City, MO
   10-12: GAFilk - Atlanta, GA

   11: South Bend Comic Book Con - South Bend, IN

   17: Devil's Due
   17-19: ConFusion - Ann Arbor, MI
   17-19: DeCONPression - Columbus, OH
   17-19: MarsCon - Williamsburg, VA
   17-20: Arisia - Boston, MA

   24: I, Frankenstein
   24-26: Chattacon - Chattanooga, TN
   24-26: Ohayocon - Columbus, OH

   25: Rob Pyatt's birthday
   25-26: Setsucon - State College, PA

============================

Procrastinator's Halloween Party
   Don't forget to get your Halloween stuff for the party! This will be a
pitch-in. Bring food. Dress up in your favorite costume. Prizes for
best costumes! Katt and Sean McConnell from Wax Chaotic will be coming
to perform a short set or two of mysterious Halloween music!

============================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

November 2013
   + Baxter, Stephen • Iron Winter • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Bear, Elizabeth • One-Eyed Jack • (Prime Books, tpb)
   Burgess, Tony • The n-Body Problem • (ChiZine Publications, tpb)
   Carriger, Gail • Curtsies & Conspiracies • (Little, Brown, hc)
   Chu, Wesley • The Deaths of Tao • (Angry Robot US)
   Ee, Susan • World After • (Amazon/Skyscape, nvl-ya, tpb)
   Fenner, Cathy, & Arnie Fenner, eds. • Spectrum 20: The Best in
Contemporary Fantastic Art • (Underwood Books, anth, hc)
   Gladstone, Max • Two Serpents Rise • (Tor, hc)
   Golden, Christopher, ed. • Mister October, Volume I: An Anthlogy in
Memory of Rick Hautala • (JournalStone, anth, hc/tpb)
   Golden, Christopher, ed. • Mister October, Volume II: An Anthlogy in
Memory of Rick Hautala • (JournalStone, anth, hc/tpb)
   Hartwell, David G., & Patrick Nielsen Hayden, eds. • Twenty-First
Century Science Fiction • (Tor, anth, hc)
   Horton, Rich, ed. • Space Opera • (Prime Books, anth, tpb)
   Jones, Stephen, ed. • Weirder Shadows Over Innsmouth • (Fedogan &
Bremer, anth, hc)
   Kadrey, Richard • Dead Set • (Harper Voyager US, hc)
   Kiernan, Caitlín R. • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories • (Subterranean
Press, cln, hc)
   Lee, Sharon, & Steve Miller • Trade Secret • (Baen, hc)
   McDevitt, Jack • Starhawk • (Ace, hc)
   Priest, Cherie • Fiddlehead • (Tor, tpb)
   Shinn, Sharon • Royal Airs • (Ace, hc)
   Watts, Peter • Beyond the Rift • (Tachyon Publications, cln, tpb)
   Wilson, Robert Charles • Burning Paradise • (Tor, hc)
   Wolfe, Gene • The Land Across • (Tor, hc)

December 2013
   Bova, Ben • Mars, Inc. • (Baen, hc)
   Castro, Adam-Troy • Her Husband's Hands • (Prime Books, cln, tpb)
   Dietz, William C. • Andromeda's Choice • (Ace, hc)
   Hartwell, David G., ed. • Year's Best SF 18 • (Tor, anth, hc)
   Lackey, Mercedes • Dragon's Teeth • (Baen, tpb)
   Martin, George R. R., & Gardner Dozois, eds. • Dangerous Women • (Tor,
anth, hc)
   Oliver, Jonathan, ed. • The End of the Road • (Rebellion/Solaris US, anth)
   + Pinborough, Sarah • The Chosen Seed • (Ace, tpb)
   Resnick, Mike • The Doctor and the Dinosaurs • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Tregillis, Ian • Something More Than Night • (Tor, hc)
   Turtledove, Harry • Supervolcano: Things Fall Apart • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Valente, Catherynne M. • The Bread We Eat in Dreams • (Subterranean
Press, cln, hc)
   Yellowboy, Erzebet • Fingerbones • (Prime/Masque, nva)

============================

November Meeting Agenda

The Circle of Janus
 November Meeting
 November 2, 2013

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests and member attendance
    October meeting minutes
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 33, if needed
    Convention Report, InConJunction 34
    Convention Report, InConJunction 35
    Board Report
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Member Services
       Audit Committee
       Archivist
       Quartermaster
       Outreach Coordinator
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Member Activities
       Anniversary Party
    Anything else?
 New Business
    Nominations
       InConJunction 36 ConChair
       President
       Vice-President
       Secretary
       Treasurer
       Sergeant-at-Arms
    Anything else?
 Announcements - one per person please
 Close of meeting – Chaos

============================

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus will be Saturday, November 2,
2013, at the LifeJourney Church, 2950 55th Place, Indianapolis, IN,
starting at 7:00 pm. There is a ConCom meeting preceding it from 5:30
to 6:45. We will have our annual Procrastinators Halloween Party after
the meeting.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Kat Robertson
   Vice-President - John Belden
   Secretary - Lynette Cowper
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli
   InConJunction 35 ConChair - Jeff Thompson

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo