[CircularOfJanus] November 2016 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Sat Nov 5 14:03:02 EDT 2016

PDF is attached, but below is a text version.

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular Of Janus
 November 2016
 Volume 37, Issue 11

Contents:
   Summary of the October Club Meeting
   Summary of the October Board Meeting
   New Books – from Locus
   November Meeting Agenda
   Current Officer Nominees
   New Year's Eve Info
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

===================================

Summary of the October Club Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on October 1 at Valley Mills Christian Church. All officers
were present. There were about 31 people present. We had no guests.

The August meeting minutes were approved as published. We got a
Treasurer's Report covering accounts and numbers for our Charity Auction,
then moved to convention reports. For 2016, Laura reported she's waiting
on attendance numbers, but it looked similar to last year. Joe reported
for 2017 that he's waiting a couple weeks to hear back from his invited
Author GoH and if she doesn't respond, will look for someone else (He's
open to suggestions on who). Our Media GoH is Shonna Bedford. There will
be a screening of Echo 51 at the con. Beckie reported no changes for 2018.

Andy reported on the Board meeting from earlier in the day. In committees,
Member Services is getting some cards back in the mail, so be sure your
contact information is correct! Outreach reported Pagan Pride went well.
She will be getting bookmarks specifically for Outreach events with club
information on one side and convention information that's not
year-specific on the other. There were no reports from the Audit
Committee, Quartermaster, Archivist, and Webmaster.

In Old Business, Randy will look into the Kurt Vonnegut Museum Fundraiser
and get back to us in November; Jeremy Murray has the Member Cards; the
After-the-Con Bash went well, with good weather; and in the future,
Outreach would like more help at Pagan Pride.

In New Business, we opened Officer nominations for the club election in
January. See the slate of nominees below. Andy Andrews will serve as the
Election Officer. We will be using the same instant run-off system we used
this year. We then looked at club activities. We had no suggestions for an
October non-meeting, so Mel asked people to post ideas and invites to the
mailing list or Facebook page. The November post-meeting will be the
annual Procrastinators' Halloween Party. Come in costume, bring something
to pitch in, and win prized! For a November non-meeting, we had Starbase
Indy. The December meeting is our anniversary party, which will be the
second Saturday at VMCC. For a December non-meeting, we have the New
Year's Eve Party (for which Laura is looking for help the day of). We had
someone donate money to bring our Charity Auction funds to a nice even
$1500 to be divided evenly between the two charities.

In Announcements that are still relevant, Beckie would like folks to go
buy cheap after-Halloween sale candy and donate to Fun Police; Randy
reported Gen Con attendance was roughly the same as last year, moved some
stuff to Lucas Oil Stadium and may use the field itself in the future, and
is celebrating their 50th anniversary next year; Laura is looking to throw
a CoJ/InConJunction room party at Starbase Indy and is looking for
helpers; Mel mentioned the room rates for Starbase Indy have dropped;
Randy mentioned Comet TV (29.3 or 4.3) is free SF; and Joe announced
Ghostbusters is on Netflix starting the 12th.

And that was it for October!

===================================

Summary of the October Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met on October 1 at Valley Mills Christian Church. All officers
were present except Vice President Jeremy Hanna, Sergeant-at-Arms Ricky
Lile, and InConJunction 38 ConChair Beckie Margedant. No one else was in
attendance. The July Board minutes were read and approved.

We intermixed Reports and Old Business, starting with the con report for
2017. Joe got email that his potential GoHs were looking at their
schedules, but he had not heard back; the Artist GoH is already working on
artwork for tees/ Program Book/ etc.; Mogchelle will be running the Masq
and will be Cosplay GoH; Ron Hawkins has stepped up to handle our Social
Media position; Joe will have contracts soon and is planning to use the
whole hotel, rather than scaling back to make the space less spread out.
We got a Treasurer's Report concerning the accounts and the 2016
convention. Pagan Pride and the Aftr-the-Con Bash both went well. Lynette
was authorized to order bookmarks for Outreach. For 2016, Laura was going
to check attendance figures. We discussed the need to program the cash
registers early. For 2018, Beckie wasn't present to report. Discussions of
tech assets was tabled till after our tech people have their meeting.

In New Business, we discussed the upcoming club elections, moving the date
of the December anniversary party, Laura wanting someone to take over for
the New Year's Eve party, and what we should do at Starbase Indy.

And that was it for the October Board meeting!

===================================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

November 2016
   Adams, John Joseph, & Douglas Cohen, eds. • What the #@&% Is That? •
(Simon & Schuster/Saga Press, anth, hc)
   Bassingthwaite, Don • Cocktails at Seven, Apocalypse at Eight: The
Derby Cavendish Stories • (ChiZine Publications, cln, tpb)
   Beaulieu, Bradley P., & Rob Ziegler • The Burning Light • (Tor.com,
nva, tpb)
   Beukes, Lauren • Slipping • (Tachyon Publications, cln, tpb)
   Bishop, Michael • Other Arms Reach Out to Me: Thirteen Georgia Stories
• (Fairwood Press/Kudzu Planet Productions, cln, tpb)
   Bonesteel, Elizabeth • Remnants of Trust • (Harper Voyager US, tpb)
   Bova, Ben • Apes and Angels • (Tor, hc)
   Burgis, Stephanie • Congress of Secrets • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Butcher, Jim, & Kerrie Lynn Hughes, eds. • Shadowed Souls •
(Penguin/Roc, anth, tpb)
   Chabon, Michael • Moonglow • (Harper, hc)
   Chizmar, Richard • A Long December • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Corey, James S. A. • Babylon's Ashes • (Orbit US, hc)
   Dalglish, David • Fireborn • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Dellamonica, A. M., & Steve Berman, eds. • Heiresses of Russ 2016: The
Year's Best Lesbian Speculative Fiction • (Lethe Press, anth, hc)
   Dunstall, S. K. • Confluence • (Ace)
   Egan, Greg • The Four Thousand, the Eight Hundred • (Subterranean
Press, nva, hc)
   Emshwiller, Carol • The Collected Stories of Carol Emshwiller, Volume 2
• (NonStop Press, cln, hc)
   Fleskes, John, ed. • Spectrum 23: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic
Art • (Flesk Publications, anth, tpb)
   Gernsback, Hugo • The Perversity of Things: Hugo Gernsback on Media,
Tinkering, and Scientifiction • (University of Minnesota Press, nf,
tpb)
   + Harrison, Kim • The Operator • (Pocket)
   Hoffman, Alice • Faithful • (Simon & Schuster, hc)
   + Itäranta, Emmi • The Weaver • (Harper Voyager US, tpb)
   Johansen, Erika • The Fate of the Tearling • (Harper, hc)
   Lansdale, Joe R. • Dead on the Bones: Pulp on Fire • (Subterranean
Press, cln, hc)
   Larbalestier, Justine • My Sister Rosa • (Soho Teen, nvl-ya, hc)
   Liu, Ken, ed. • Invisible Planets • (Tor, anth, hc)
   + MacLeod, Ken • The Corporation Wars: Dissidence • (Orbit US)
   Maresca, Marshall Ryan • An Import of Intrigue • (DAW)
   Marillier, Juliet • Den of Wolves • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Matheson, Richard Christian • Zoopraxis • (Gauntlet Press, cln, hc)
   Neumeier, Rachel • The Mountain of Kept Memory • (Simon & Schuster/Saga
Press, hc)
   Newman, Emma • After Atlas • (Penguin/Roc, tpb)
   Rowling, J. K. • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original
Screenplay • (Scholastic/Levine, nvl-ya, hc)
   Sagara, Michelle • Cast in Flight • (Harlequin/Mira, tpb)
   Sanderson, Brandon • Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection • (Tor,
cln, hc)
   Shinn, Sharon • Unquiet Land • (Ace, hc)
   Sterling, Bruce • Pirate Utopia • (Tachyon Publications, tpb)
   Weber, David • At the Sign of Triumph • (Tor, hc)
   Weber, David • Shadow of Victory • (Baen, hc)
   Wilber, Rick • Alien Morning • (Tor, hc)
   Yolen, Jane, & Adam Stemple • The Seelie King's War • (Penguin/Viking,
nvl-ya, hc)

December 2016
   Bear, Greg • Take Back the Sky • (Orbit US, hc)
   Delany, Samuel R. • In Search of Silence: The Journals of Samuel R.
Delany, Volume 1, 1957-1969 • (Wesleyan University Press, nf, hc)
   Dellamonica, A. M. • The Nature of a Pirate • (Tor, hc)
   Gaiman, Neil • Poems • (HarperCollins/Morrow, hc)
   MacLeod, Ken • The Corporation Wars: Insurgence • (Orbit US)
   Newman, Kim • Frankenstein on Ice and Other Stories • (Titan US, cln, tpb)
   Oliver, Jonathan, ed. • Five Stories High • (Rebellion/Solaris US,
anth, tpb)
   Scalzi, John • Miniatures • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Tregillis, Ian • The Liberation • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Wagers, K. B. • After the Crown • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Westerfeld, Scott • Horizon • (Scholastic, nvl-ya, hc)
   Wilson, Robert Charles • Last Year • (Tor, hc)

===================================

November Meeting Agenda

The Circle of Janus
 November 5, 2016

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests & member attendance
    October meeting minutes
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 36
    Convention Report, InConJunction 37
    Convention Report, InConJunction 38
    Board Report
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Archivist
       Audit Committee
       Member Services Report
       Outreach Coordinator
       Quartermaster
       Webmaster
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Kurt Vonnegut Museum Fundraiser
    Starbase Indy
    Anniversary Party
    New Year's Eve Party
    Elections
       Officer Nominations
          Chairman of the Board
          InConJunction 39 (2019) ConChair
          President
          Vice President
          Secretary
          Treasurer
          Sergeant-at-Arms
       Instant run-off and absentee voting
 New Business
    Activities
       November Non-Meeting
       December Anniversary Party
          Is on December 10th due to conflict
       New Year's Eve Party
       January After-Meeting?
 Announcements
 Close of meeting – Chaos

===================================

Current Nominations for Office
 (Not including Declines, in nomination order)

Chairman of the Board
   Mike Cowper
   Lynette Cowper
   Kim Richey (Still considering)

InConJunction 39 (2019) ConChair
   John Belden
   Lynette Cowper
   Reed Hartman (Accepted?)

President
   Beckie Margedant
   Lynette Cowper
   Ricky Lile (Accepted?)

Vice President
   Southwell Cowper (Still considering)
   Jeremy Hanna

Secretary
   Laura Edwards (Still considering)
   Kat Robertson (Not present)
   Lynette Cowper
   Kim Richey (Still considering)

Treasurer
   Jeremy Murray

Sergeant-at-Arms
   Ricky Lile
   John Belden
   Reed Hartman
   Mel Kocias

===================================

New Nerd Year's Eve 2016
   What: The Circle of Janus presents New Nerd Year's Eve
   When: Saturday, Dec. 31, 6 pm. to Sunday, Jan. 1
   Where: Clarion Inn & Suites Northwest, 7001 Corporate Dr.,
Indianapolis, IN 46278
   Who: Everyone! CoJ members, guests, other members of the Indy fandom
community, etc. Kids welcome, too.
   Why: To ring in the new year with food, games and friends.
   How: The CoJ will pay for the meat; everything else is pitch-in. There
will be no cost for only attending the party and not getting a room,
but the kitty will be out.
   Should you want to get a room - and everyone should, for safety and
keeping the fun going for hours and hours - prices are $72 for a
standard room, or $103 for a suite. (There are only two suites in our
room block, so act quickly if you want one!) You will need to call the
hotel for these rates, as they will not be on the website; the number
is (317) 298-3700. Check-in at 4 pm., checkout at noon. The pool will
stay open until 2 am.
   Bring: Food/drinks, games and your smiling selves. Dress code is
whatever you want that has you still wearing clothes. A pitch-in list
will be made available soon.

===================================

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus is on Saturday, November 5,
2016, at Valley Mills Christian Church, 5555 Kentucky Avenue,
Indianapolis, IN, starting at 7:00 pm. There is a Convention Committee
meeting preceding it at 5:30 pm. The annual Procrastinators' Halloween
Party will follow. Come in costume (or bring one to change into) and
bring something to pitch in!

Officers
   Board Chairman – Andy Andrews
   President – Melissa Kocias
   Vice-President – Jeremy Hanna
   Secretary – Lynette Cowper
   Treasurer – Jeremy Murray
   Sergeant at Arms – Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 36 ConChair – Laura Edwards
   InConJunction 37 ConChair – Joe Greene
   InConJunction 38 ConChair – Beckie Margedant

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

PDF contains images from the “Future Dictates of Fashion” by W. Cade Gall
published in the January 1893 issue of The Strand magazine, courtesy of
https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/fashions-of-the-future-as-imagined-in-1893/