[CircularOfJanus] February 2017 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Sat Feb 4 16:10:30 EST 2017

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular Of Janus
 February 2017
 Volume 38, Issue 2

Contents:
   Summary of the January Club Meeting
   Summary of the January Board Meeting
   Mark Your Calendars
   New Books – from Locus
   February Meeting Agenda
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

Summary of the January Club Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

[Due to us interspersing the elections with other club business, these
notes are not in time order. – LRFC]

The club met on January 7 at Valley Mills Christian Church. All officers
were present. There were 40-ish people present. We had no guests. We ran
elections throughout the meeting, so the election notes are out of order.

The November meeting minutes were approved as published. We got a
Treasurer's Report, then moved to convention reports. For 2016, Laura
reported she hand-delivered our charity auction checks to their respective
charities. Joe reported for 2017 that we have verbal agreements from Marc
Gunn, Larry Dixon, and Mercedes Lackey. Beckie reported no changes for
2018.

There was no Board report, but the outgoing and incoming Board was
reminded that we would have a brief conference after the meeting to set up
the time and place for our January Board meeting. (This ended up being
January 28th at VMCC.) In committees, Lynette reported for Outreach that
Stuart Sayger has volunteered to do artwork for the evergreen bookmarks.
Member Services will be sending a card to Gary Barclay. There were no
reports from the Archivist, Audit Committee, Quartermaster, and Webmaster.

In Old Business, we did our elections with Andy Andrews presiding over
that portion of the meeting. The results were: Chairman of the Board (a
two-year position), Mike Cowper; InConJunction 39 (2019) ConChair, John
Belden; President, Ricky Lile; Vice-President, Anjala Dick; Secretary,
Southwell Cowper;  Treasurer, Jeremy Murray; Sergeant-at-Arms, Mel Kocias.
The check to put us in the Kilgore Trout Fan Club for the Kurt Vonnegut
Museum hasn't been sent yet. And Laura reported that the New Year's Eve
party was a somewhat lower in attendance, but quite enjoyable.

In New Business, we looked at club activities. For a January Non-meeting,
we had the first Naptown Rollergirls bout on the  28th. We had a number of
suggestions for post-meeting activities, including a book swap, collecting
books for Ronald McDonald House, a white elephant “mathom” exchange, a
Nerf war, and a skincare and makeup talk/demo. Ricky decided for February
we will do both a book and other geeky things swap and a white elephant
gift exchange for anyone who wishes to participate. For February
Non-meeting, we had two suggestions: the February 11th Roller Derby bout
and going to Ronald McDonald House to bake cookies for the families
staying there. In other New Business, Kat noted that the November meeting
conflicted with the Parker-Starkey wedding, so we voted to move it to
November 11th, leaving us with the following dates: January 7, February 4,
March 4, April 8, May 6, June 3, August 5, September 9 (Bash), October 7,
November 11, December 2.

In Announcements Chris Canary has a story in the upcoming A Tearing of the
Curtain of Time; Joe will be doing Kung Fu movie nights at his house on
Wednesdays; Kat's workplace is for a receptionist and attendant care
people; Randy recommended Emerald City, a really dark fantasy with an Oz
veneer; Anjala's contract at work was extended to September; Judy Eudaly
is doing great; Reed's new office is at Cummins new HQ, which is “a work
of art”; Gary P. recommended Atomic Dreams and Nuclear Nightmares: The
Making of Godzilla; Mel has been reading Carrie Fisher's The Princess
Diarist which she found very interesting; and John mentioned that Little
Shop of Horrors was opening at Footlites the next weekend.

And that was it for January!

Summary of the January Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met on January 28 at Valley Mills Christian Church. All outgoing
and incoming officers were present. No one else was in attendance. The
November Board minutes were read and approved with a minor correction that
Wayne Bertch is an artist, not an author.

We started with convention reports. Joe for 2017 is working on allocating
hotel rooms and how best to remember Larry Smith. He also decided to go
ahead and advertise our GoHs, as we have firm commitments from them, but
are still waiting for signed contracts to get back to us. Beckie for 2018
is considering reaching out to local game stores to sponsor the game room
or run a tournament. John for 2019 has a GoH who may also serve as
Toastmaster, but Southwell didn't write the name down. We had a
Treasurer's Report, then moved on to Old Business.

In Old Business, with our social media accounts, the new Board has been
added to the Facebook accounts. The outgoing Board members will be removed
within the week. We discussed meetup.com, but tabled discussion for now.
Beckie and Mel will be setting up a subreddit and managing it. Joe will be
getting out hotel contracts, which extend to 2020, and putting them in the
Dropbox account. Check hasn't gone out to the Vonnegut Museum, but will be
soon. The Board decided to continue the New Year's Eve party, even though
it had a lower attendance this year, as that might have been due to
illness and it being on a Saturday.

In New Business, we discussed Board meeting dates for 2017. They will be
at VMCC from 1-3pm on March 18th, May 20th, July 22nd, September 16th, and
November 18th. Meeting date for the June Board meeting will be decided
later, as it is generally the same date as the last ConCom meeting. The
Board considered appointed positions and decided to ask the current slate
of appointees to continue in their positions. Joe would like someone to
assist on the graphic design side of the Webmaster positions. Lynette had
gotten early bird registration for Pride. There was a discussion on
parking. She and Jeremy will meet and register before the February
deadline. We've renewed all the domain names that inspire in January.
There are some that will need renewed in June or July.

And that was it for the January Board meeting!

Mark Your Calendars
by Lynette Cowper

February 2017

1: Christina Lee-Gasaway's birthday

3: Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back
3: Rings
3: The Space Between Us

4: CoJ Meeting - Valley Mills Christian Church

6: Ren Cowper's birthday

8: Lynette R. F. Cowper's birthday

9: Kyle Casteel's birthday

February 10 - Penumbral Lunar Eclipse. A penumbral lunar eclipse occurs
when the Moon passes through the Earth's partial shadow, or penumbra.
During this type of eclipse the Moon will darken slightly but not
completely. In Indiana, when the moon rises, it will already be in
eclipse, and should last till 10pm or so.

10: The LEGO Batman Movie
10: Whoosier Network Mtg - LifeJourney Church
10-12: Seishun Con - Atlanta, GA
10-20: Boston SF Film Festival - Somerville, MA

11: Catherine Raquet's birthday

16-19: Capricon 36 - Wheeling, IL

17: The Great Wall
17-19: Anime Milwaukee - Milwaukee, WI
17-19: Boskone - Boston, MA
17-19: Farpoint - Timonium, MD
17-19: Katsucon - National Harbor, MD

18: IAS General Meeting - Holcomb Observatory
18-21: New York Toy Fair – New York, New York

19: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library
19: South Bend Comic Book Convention - South Bend, IN

24: Get Out
24-26: Anime Crossroads - Wyndham Indianapolis West
24-26: Con Nooga – Chattanooga, TN
24-26: MystiCon - Roanoke, VA

25-26: Collecitibles Show - Sullivan, IN
25-26: ETSU-Con - Johnson City, TN
25-26: Jaycon - Elizabethtown, PA

26: Samantha Crawford's birthday

29: Howard Tayler's birthday

+++++++++++

March 2017

3: Whoosier Network Mtg - LifeJourney Church
3: Logan
3-5: A&G Con - Cincinnati, OH
3-5: Cincycon – Cincinnati, Ohio
3-5: Genericon - Troy, NY
3-5: Gryphcon 2017 – Guelph, Ontario
3-5:  MarsCon - Bloomington, MN
3-5: Triad Anime Convention - Greensboro, NC

4: CoJ Meeting - Valley Mills Christian Church
4: Adrian Emil Turner's birthday
4-5: Murfreesboro Anime & Comic Kon - Murfreesboro, TN

10: Kong: Skull Island
10: Raw
10-12: Heliosphere - Tarrytown, NY
10-12: Naka-Kon - Overland Park, KS

12: Randy Porter's birthday

13: Cathy Dailey's birthday
13: Janet Dailey's birthday

15: Arabella Rollison's birthday
15-19:  Philip K. Dick International Film Festival - New York, NY

17: David Happli's birthday
17: Amanda Dailey-Weaver's birthday
17: Dee Ann Moore's birthday
17: Laura and Nathan Terhune's anniversary
17: Beauty and the Beast
17: The Belko Experiment
17-19: ConnCon – Stamford, CT
17-19: I-Con 32 - Brentwood, NY
17-19: Kigacon - Newport News, VA
17-19: Shuto Con - Lansing, MI

18: IAS General Meeting - Holcomb Observatory
18: CoJ Board Meeting -- VMCC, 1-3pm

19: Ash Comic Book Show - Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conf Ctr
19: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library

21: Mike & Lynette Cowper's anniversary

24: Power Rangers
24: King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
24: Keep Watching
24-26: Animatic Con - Cincinnati, OH
24-26: Conbust - Northampton, MA
24-26: EvilleCon - Evansville, IN
24-26: MidSouthCon - Memphis, TN
24-26: Star City Anime - Roanoke, VA

25: Neil Thompson's birthday

26: Chris Canary's birthday
26: Sabrina Labrosse's birthday

31: Ghost in the Shell
31-4/2: Who's Yer Con - Wyndham Indianapolis West
31-4/2: Albacon - Albany, NY
31-4/2: Anime Boston - Boston, MA
31-4/2: Nadeshicon - Quebec City, Quebec
31-4/2: NashiCon - Columbia, SC
31-4/2: Ottawa Geek Market - Nepean, Ontario

++++++++

April 2017

April 1 - Mercury at Greatest Eastern Elongation. The planet Mercury
reaches greatest eastern elongation of 19 degrees from the Sun. This is
the best time to view Mercury since it will be at its highest point above
the horizon in the evening sky. Look for the planet low in the western sky
just after sunset.

1: Judy Eudaly's birthday

4: Mark Bischoff's birthday

6-9: Tekko - Pittsburgh, PA

April 7 - Jupiter at Opposition. The giant planet will be at its closest
approach to Earth and its face will be fully illuminated by the Sun. It
will be brighter than any other time of the year and will be visible all
night long. This is the best time to view and photograph Jupiter and its
moons. A medium-sized telescope should be able to show you some of the
details in Jupiter's cloud bands. A good pair of binoculars should allow
you to see Jupiter's four largest moons, appearing as bright dots on
either side of the planet.

7: Whoosier Network Mtg - LifeJourney Church
7-9: Anime Detour - Bloomington, MN
7-9: CODCON XXII – Glen Ellyn, IL
7-9: ConGlomeration - Louisville, KY
7-9: Lunacon - Tarrytown, NY

8: CoJ Meeting - Valley Mills Christian Church

9: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library

10: Kyra Shidler's birthday

11: Kim Richey's birthday

13: Brandon Marr-Cashion Spratt's birthday
13-16: Frolicon - Atlanta, GA

14-16: Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Nashville, TN
14-16: Minicon - Bloomington, MN
14-16: Shumatsucon - Columbus, OH

15: Melissa Kocias's birthday

19: Jessica Carrico's birthday

20-24: Costume-Con 35 - Mississauga, ON, Canada

21-23: FilKONtario - Mississauga, ON, Canada
21-23: JAMPcon - Chattanooga, TN
21-23: No Brand Con - Wisconsin Dells, WI
21-23: Windy City Pulp & Paperback Convention - Lombard, IL

April 22, 23 - Lyrids Meteor Shower. The Lyrids is an average shower,
usually producing about 20 meteors per hour at its peak. It is produced by
dust particles left behind by comet C/1861 G1 Thatcher, which was
discovered in 1861. The shower runs annually from April 16-25. It peaks
this year on the night of the night of the 22nd and morning of the 23rd.
These meteors can sometimes produce bright dust trails that last for
several seconds. The crescent moon should not be too much of a problem
this year. Skies should still be dark enough for a good show. Best viewing
will be from a dark location after midnight. Meteors will radiate from the
constellation Lyra, but can appear anywhere in the sky.

22: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory
22: Mark Racop's birthday
22-23: Anime Fan Fest New Jersey - Somerset, NJ
22-23: The D8 Summit – Ottawa, IL
22-23: Tora-Con - Rochester, NY

23: Jeff Thompson's birthday

24: Susan Parker's birthday

28: Brian Davidson's birthday
28-30: Causeacon - Beckley, WV
28-30: International Steampunk Symposium – Cincinnati, Ohio
28-30: Mid – Dearborn, MI
28-30: OdysseyCon - Madison, WI
28-30: Ravencon - Williamsburg, VA
28-30: Treklanta - Atlanta, GA
28-30: Yoi-Con - Columbus, OH
28-30: Zenkaikon - Lancaster, PA

29: Theresa Shidler's birthday
29: Harry Bunn's birthday
29: Tina Wong's birthday
29-30: Castle Point Anime Convention - Hoboken, NJ
29-30: Clarksville Comic and Anime, Toy Con - Clarksville, TN

30: South Bend Comic Book Con - South Bend, IN

New Books
 From locusmag.com

February 2017
   Anderson, Poul • The Collected Short Works of Poul Anderson, Volume 7:
Question and Answer • (NESFA Press, cln, hc)
   Barker, Clive • Infernal Parade • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Beagle, Peter S. • In Calabria • (Tachyon Publications, hc)
   Beaulieu, Bradley P. • With Blood Upon the Sand • (DAW, hc)
   Broaddus, Maurice • The Voices of Martyrs • (Rosarium Publishing, cln,
tpb)
   Carey, Jacqueline • Miranda and Caliban • (Tor, hc)
   Chizmar, Richard, & Brian James Freeman • Darkness Whispers • (Scarlet
Galleon, nva, hc)
   Danielewski, Mark Z. • The Familiar: Volume 4: Hades • (Random
House/Pantheon, tpb)
   Datlow, Ellen, ed. • Black Feathers: Dark Avian Tales • (Pegasus, anth,
hc)
   Donnelly, Lara Elena • Amberlough • (Tor, hc)
   Dornbusch, Betsy • Enemy • (Skyhorse/Night Shade Books, hc)
   Duncan, Dave • Portal of a Thousand Worlds • (Open Road, tpb)
   Gannon, Charles E. • Caine's Mutiny • (Baen, tpb)
   + Guran, Paula, ed. • The Mammoth Book of the Mummy • (Prime Books,
anth, tpb)
   Harrison, Kim • The Turn • (Simon & Schuster/Gallery, hc)
   Hurley, Kameron • The Stars Are Legion • (Simon & Schuster/Saga Press, hc)
   Kadrey, Richard • The Wrong Dead Guy • (Harper Voyager US, hc)
   Kiernan, Caitlín R. • Agents of Dreamland • (Tor.com, tpb)
   Latham, Rob, ed. • Science Fiction Criticism: An Anthology of Essential
Writings • (Bloomsbury Academic US, nf, hc/tpb)
   Martinez, Juan • Best Worst American • (Small Beer Press, cln, tpb)
   Nix, Garth • Frogkisser! • (Scholastic Press, nvl-ya, hc)
   Palmer, Ada • Seven Surrenders • (Tor, hc)
   Resnick, Mike • The Castle in Cassiopeia • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Resnick, Mike • Voyages • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   + Reynolds, Alastair • Revenger • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Sagara, Michelle • Grave • (DAW, hc)
   Saunders, George • Lincoln in the Bardo • (Random House, hc)
   Schwab, V. E. • A Conjuring of Light • (Tor, hc)
   Sparks, Cat • Lotus Blue • (Skyhorse/Talos Press, hc)
   Spencer, Wen • The Black Wolves of Boston • (Baen, hc)
   Spinrad, Norman • The People's Police • (Tor, hc)
   Tem, Steve Rasnic • Ubo • (Rebellion/Solaris US, tpb)
   Wallace, Matt • Idle Ingredients • (Tor.com, nva, tpb)
   Wendig, Chuck • Thunderbird • (Simon & Schuster/Saga Press, hc)

March 2017
   Armstrong, Kelley • Lost Souls • (Subterranean Press, nvl-ya, hc)
   Asher, Neal • Infinity Engine • (Skyhorse/Night Shade Books, hc)
   Baker, Mishell • Phantom Pains • (Simon & Schuster/Saga Press, hc/tpb)
   Bishop, Anne • Etched in Bone • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Bledsoe, Alex • Gather Her Round • (Tor, hc)
   Bourke, Liz • Sleeping with Monsters: Readings and Reactions in Science
Fiction and Fantasy • (Aqueduct Press, nf, tpb)
   Brennan, Marie • Lightning in the Blood • (Tor.com, nva, tpb)
   Briggs, Patricia • Silence Fallen • (Ace, hc)
   Britain, Kristen • Firebrand • (DAW, hc)
   Guran, Paula, ed. • Swords Against Darkness • (Prime Books, anth, tpb)
   Kessel, John • The Moon and the Other • (Simon & Schuster/Saga Press, hc)
   Kiernan, Caitlín R. • Dear Sweet Filthy World • (Subterranean Press,
cln, hc)
   Maresca, Marshall Ryan • The Holver Alley Crew • (DAW)
   McDonald, Ian • Luna: Wolf Moon • (Tor, hc)
   McGuire, Seanan • Magic for Nothing • (DAW)
   Meadows, Foz • A Tyranny of Queens • (Angry Robot US)
   Neumeier, Rachel • The White Road of the Moon • (Random House/Knopf,
nvl-ya, hc)
   Newman, Emma • Brother's Ruin • (Tor.com, nva, tpb)
   Robinson, Kim Stanley • New York 2140 • (Orbit US, hc)
   Scalzi, John • The Collapsing Empire • (Tor, hc)
   Taylor, Laini • Strange the Dreamer • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya, hc)
   Turzillo, Mary • Mars Girls • (Apex Publications, tpb)

February Meeting Agenda

 The Circle of Janus
 February 4, 2017

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests & member attendance
    January meeting minutes
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 37
    Convention Report, InConJunction 38
    Convention Report, InConJunction 39
    Board Report
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Archivist
       Audit Committee
       Member Services Report
       Outreach Coordinator
       Quartermaster
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Kurt Vonnegut Museum Fundraiser
 New Business
    Member Cards
    Appointments
       Board Appointments
          Audit Committee
          Club and Convention Archivist
          Outreach Coordinator
          Webmaster
       Presidential Appointments
          Member services
          Newsletter editor
          Club Quartermaster
    Activities
       February Non-meeting
          February 11th Roller Derby bout.
          Ronald McDonald House cookie baking.
          Anything else?
       March Post-Meeting
             Nerf war.
             Skincare and makeup talk/demo.
       March Non-meeting
       April Post-Meeting
 Announcements
 Close of meeting – Chaos

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus is on Saturday, February 4,
2016, at Valley Mills Christian Church, 5555 Kentucky Avenue,
Indianapolis, IN, starting at 7:00 pm. There is a Convention Committee
meeting preceding it at 5:30 pm. A book and geeky things swap, as well
as a white elephant mathom exchange will follow the meeting, so bring
those things that still have a life, but that you no longer love, and
give them away!

Officers
   Board Chairman – Mike Cowper
   President – Ricky Lile
   Vice-President – Anjala Dick
   Secretary – Southwell Cowper
   Treasurer – Jeremy Murray
   Sergeant at Arms – Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 37 ConChair – Joe Greene
   InConJunction 38 ConChair – Beckie Margedant
   InConJunction 39 ConChair – John Belden

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor