[CircularOfJanus] December 2012 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Sat Dec 1 16:14:13 EST 2012

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 November 27, 2012
 Volume 33, Issue 12

Contents:
   President's Reflections - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the November Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Mark Your Calendars
   New Books - from Locus
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

**************************

President's Reflections
 by Lynette Cowper

Well, it's the last newsletter of the year. We're all going to be spending
time focusing on our families and the upcoming holidays. For those looking
for something to do later in the day on Christmas day, Kat Robertson is
hosting her annual Christmas day gaming gathering and has invited CoJ
members to join her. See Kat at the Anniversary party for details (or
watch for an upcoming email).

I hope to see everyone at the Anniversary party!

**************************

Summary of the November Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on November 3. All the officers except Sergeant-at-Arms Ricky
Lile were in attendance. We had three guests-- Samantha (sci-fi fan and
InConJunction Anime Room regular); Chris Abraham (also Anime Room regular,
now doing video gaming for us); Nicole (guest of Chris Canary from
Michigan; 2012 Gen Con was her first con ever).

We approved the October Minutes and went through the Treasurer's report,
then Mel filled us in on InConJunction 33 and Drew on InConJunction 34.
Andy gave a brief Board report.

We discussed plans for the December Anniversary Party and then moved on to
Old Business. We briefly discussed meeting locations. The January meeting
will be at the LifeJourney Church, since making people go to a new
location for the election would be unwise. We approved all the Bylaws
changes and then moved on to officer nominations, which are listed below.
Lynette named Gary Plumlee the election officer. We had some announcements
and then declared chaos at  8:01 p.m., followed by an awesome
Procrastinators' Halloween Party.

**************************

Mark Your Calendars

December 2012:

   1: CoJ Anniversary Party - LifeJourney Church

   2: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   4: Crystal Wolf's birthday

   5: Indy Knights General Meeting - The Athenaeum

   7: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   7-9: Anime Crossroads - Indianapolis Marriott East

   8-9: Yama-Con - Pigeon Forge, TN

   9: Toronto AnimeCon - Toronto, Ontario

   12: Wendy Carson's birthday
   12-14: Geminid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   13: Laura Edwards's birthday

   14: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

   16: George Starkey's birthday
   16-23: The Great 2012 NOT the End of the World Cruise - Leaving from
Miami, FL

   19: Monsters, Inc. 3D

   21-23: Anime Apocalypse - Rockford, IL
   21-23: Anime Punch: Armageddicon - Columbus, OH
   21-23: Vacation Anime - Springfield, MO

   23: Gordon Huxford's birthday

   30: Ash Comics show - Ramada Inn on E 21st St

January 2013

   2: Indy Knights General Meeting - The Athenaeum

   4: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   4: Texas Chainsaw 3D
   4-5: ShadowCon - Memphis, TN
   4-6: Anime-Zap! - Peoria, IL
   4-6: Ichibancon - Charlotte, NC

   5: CoJ Meeting and Elections - LifeJourney Church

   11: A Haunted House
   11-13: Ahn!Con - Kansas City, MO
   11-13: GAFilk - Atlanta, GA

   12: KotoriCon - Sewell, NJ

   18: Mama
   18-20: ConFusion - Dearborn, MI
   18-20: DeCONPression - Worthington, OH
   18-20: MarsCon - Williamsburg, VA
   18-20: Ohayocon - Columbus, OH
   18-21: Arisia - Boston, MA
   18-21: SCARAB - Columbia, SC

   19: Anime Blues Winterfest Remix - Memphis, TN
   19-20: Murfreesboro Anime and Comic Kon - Murfreesboro, TN

   25: Rob Pyatt's birthday
   25:  Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
   25-27: Chattacon - Chattanooga, TN
   25-27: G-Anime - Gatineau, Quebec

   26-27: Setsucon - State College, PA

February 2013

   1: Warm Bodies
   1: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   1-3: SuperCon - Minneapolis, MN

   2: CoJ Meeting - TBA

   6: Ren Cowper's birthday
   6: Indy Knights General Meeting - The Athenaeum

   7-10: Capricon - Wheeling IL

   8: Lynette R. F. Cowper's birthday
   8-10: AlmaCon - Alma, MI
   8-10: Kawa Kon - St. Louis, MO
   8-10: SheVaCon - Roanoke, VA

   9: Kyle Casteel's birthday

   13: Beautiful Creatures

   14: Escape From Planet Earth

   15-17: Anime Milwaukee – Milwaukee, WI
   15-17: Boskone - Boston MA
   15-17: Con of the North - St. Paul, MN
   15-17: Farpoint - Timonium, MD
   15-17: Kami-Con - Birmingham, AL
   15-17: Katsucon - National Harbor, MD
   15-17: Visioncon - Springfield, MO

   22: Dark Skies
   22-24: Fire and Ice Convention – Manitowoc, WI
   22-24: MystiCon 2013 – Roanoke, VA

   24: Ash Comics - Ramada Inn on E 21st St

   26: Samantha Thompson's birthday

   29: Howard Tayler's birthday

**************************

New Books
 From locusmag.com

December 2012
   Andrews, Ilona • Steel's Edge • (Ace)
   Armstrong, Kelley • Forbidden • (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Baker, Kage • Nell Gwynne's on Land and at Sea • (Subterranean Press,
nva, hc)
   Butcher, Jim • Cold Days • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Dietz, William C. • Andromeda's Fall • (Ace, hc)
   Foster, Alan Dean • The Sum of Her Parts • (Ballantine Del Rey, tpb)
   Hearne, Kevin • Trapped • (Ballantine Del Rey)
   + Herbert, James • Ash • (Tor, hc)
   Hoyt, Sarah A. • Darkship Renegade • (Baen, hc)
   Le Guin, Ursula K. • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume
One: Where on Earth • (Small Beer Press, cln, hc)
   Mckenna, Juliet E. • Defiant Peaks • (Rebellion/Solaris US)
   Resnick, Mike • The Doctor and the Rough Rider • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Sedia, Ekaterina • Moscow But Dreaming • (Prime Books, cln, tpb)
   Strahan, Jonathan, ed. • Edge of Infinity • (Rebellion/Solaris US)
   Turtledove, Harry • Supervolcano: All Fall Down • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   VanderMeer, Ann, ed. • Steampunk Revolution • (Tachyon Publications, tpb)
   Wells, Martha • The Siren Depths • (Night Shade Books, tpb)

January 2013
   Gaiman, Neil, & Adam Rex • Chu's Day • (HarperCollins, nvl-ya, hc)
   Gould, Steven • Impulse • (Tor, hc)
   + Hamilton, Peter F. • Great North Road • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Hodgell, P. C. • Sea of Time • (Baen, tpb)
   Jordan, Robert, & Brandon Sanderson • A Memory of Light • (Tor, hc)
   Lake, Jay • Kalimpura • (Tor, hc)
   Modesitt, L. E., Jr. • Imager's Battalion • (Tor, hc)
   Powers, Tim • Salvage and Demolition • (Subterranean Press, hc)
   + Redick, Robert V. S. • The Night of the Swarm • (Ballantine Del Rey,
tpb)
   Revis, Beth • Shades of Earth • (Penguin/Razorbill, nvl-ya, hc)
   + Self, Will • Umbrella • (Grove Press, hc)
   Snyder, Maria V. • Scent of Magic • (Harlequin/Mira, tpb)
   Teppo, Mark • Earth Thirst • (Night Shade Books, tpb)

**************************

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next business meeting of the Circle of Janus will not be till
January, but we have our anniversary party on Saturday, December 1,
2012, at the LifeJourney Church, 2950 55th Place, Indianapolis, IN,
starting at 7:00 pm.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Lynette Cowper
   Vice-President - John Belden
   Secretary - Laura Edwards
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo