[CircularOfJanus] June 2013 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Sat Jun 1 01:01:10 EDT 2013

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 May 27, 2013
 Volume 34, Issue 6

Contents:
   Summary of the May Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the May Board Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Mark Your Calendars
   June Meeting Agenda
   New Books - from Locus
   Tidbits from Our Members
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

============================

Summary of the May Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on May 4 at LifeJourney Church. All officers except President
Kat Robertson, who had a family emergency, were present. We had around 33
adults and 5 kids, including Mark Dooley of Whoosier Network and Andrew
and Tina, kids of Karen. VP John Belden ran the meeting.

The April meeting minutes were read and accepted as read/published. Kent
passed out the printed Treasurer's reports.

For this year's con, Mel announced that Moxie Ann Magnus will be our
Toastmaster. She reminded everyone to pre-reg and get their rooms, and to
sell ads. They are still accepting costume bash items. For 2014, Drew
reported that Neil DeGrasse Tyson was unfortunately out of our budget, Lou
Harry will be our Toastmaster, and he is looking for volunteers. Jeff is
still working on GoHs for 2015 and is open to suggestions and requests.

Andy reminded everyone of the upcoming Board meeting. Archivist Bob has
gotten very little materials to archive and is looking for more.
Quartermasters Dillan and Ricky are still working to schedule the
inventorying the storage space. Laura still needs volunteers for Indy
Pride on Saturday, June 8, to cover 2-hour blocks. We also need volunteers
for Pagan Pride in September. She had found a new Pagan event in May, too
late to do this year, but worth considering for next year. Tracey reported
on the meeting location search, which was slow going.

In Old Business, we discussed upcoming member activities, including having
a 3D printing demo in June.

There was no New Business so we moved on to announcements. Of those still
relevant: Andy mentioned the June 8th spoof of the mini-marathon sponsored
by the local breweries, which inspired John to mention that Gen Con will
have a beer garden. Tracey announced that Alec was elected president of
the Toastmasters, Jr. The movies Oblivion, Iron Man 3, and Pain and Gain
were positively reviewed. Kevin mentioned INWAP will have product in-hand
in early June. Tracey said Cyberia is talking about having a free public
movie night. Gary K reminded everyone of the Ash Comic Con, bi-monthly
here in Indy. And that was it for the May meeting.

============================

Summary of the May Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met on May 18 at Valley Mills Christian Church. All officers
except President Kat Robertson, Treasurer Kent Racquet, and InConJunction
35 ConChair Jeff Thompson were present. Member Wendy Carson was also
present.

The previous minutes were accepted as published. Kent had emailed a
Treasurer's report, which was reviewed.

For 2014, Drew discussed some possible Gaming GoHs. For this year, Mel had
contracts for Moxie to be reviewed. We went over various things with the
hotel and advertising, as well as some other details.

In Old Business, we discussed the meeting location search and the
possibility of meeting at VMCC. We briefly covered Member Services, Indy
Aerodrome, Pride, A/V needs, and the June Board agenda. And that was it
for the May Board meeting.

============================

Mark Your Calendars

June 2013

   1: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   1: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory

   3: Andy Andrews's birthday

   5: Indy Knights General meeting - Athenaeum

   6-9: Colossalcon - Sandusky, OH

   7: The Purge
   7: Whoosier Network Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   7-9: AnimeNEXT - Somerset, NJ

   9: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   10: Chuck Budreau's birthday

   12: This is the End
   12: David Lee Pancake's birthday
   12-16: Origins - Columbus, OH

   14: Man of Steel
   14-16: Anime Mid-Atlantic - Chesapeake, VA
   14-16: Hypericon - Nashville, TN
   14-16: OMGcon - Paducah, KY
   14-16: Too Many Games - Philadelphia, PA

   15: CoJ Board Meeting - Marriott East
   15: Public Star Gaze - McCloud Nature Park, Salem, IN
   15-16: Knoxville Comic & Anime Con - Knoxville, TN

   18: Greg Dunn's birthday
   18: Dillan & Anjala Dick's Anniversary

   19: Mike Suess's birthday
   19: Kevin Spencer's birthday

   21: Monsters University
   21: World War Z
   21-23: 4th Street Fantasy Convention - Minneapolis, MN
   21-23: Anime Blues Con - Memphis, TN
   21-23: DieCon - Collinsville, IL
   21-23: Fieldcon - Morgan County, OH
   21-23: Northeast Filk Convention - Gaithersburg, MD

   22-23: JAFAX - Allendale, MI

   26-28: Bootid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   27: Reed Hartman's birthday
   27-30: Cosplacon - Jefferson City, MO
   27-30: Midwestcon - Cincinnati, OH

   28-30: AniMinneapolis - Bloomington, MN
   28-30: ConTemporal - Raleigh, NC
   28-30: DucKon - Wheeling, IL
   28-30: Hetalia Con! - Wyndham Indianapolis West
   28-30: Hoshicon - Winston-Salem, NC
   28-30: Seishun-Con - Atlanta, GA
   28-30: Soonercon - Midwest City, OK

   29: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory

   30: Doug Rollison's birthday
   30: Ash Comic Book Show - Ramada Inn at E 21st St
   30: Senshi Matsuri - New York, NY

July 2013

   2: Ellen Schuck Patterson's birthday

   3: Indy Knights General meeting - Athenaeum
   3-7: Dexcon 16 – Morristown, NY

   4-7: AnthroCon - Pittsburgh, PA

   5: Whoosier Network Meeting - ?
   5-7: InConJunction - Marriott East
   5-7: Anime Midwest - Rosemont, IL

   6: Dillan Dick's birthday

   10: Kristin Looney's birthday

   11: Beckie Margedant's birthday
   11-14: Readercon - Burlington, MA

   12: Pacific Rim
   12-14: Anime Festival Wichita - Wichita, KS
   12-14: Anime SouthEast - Sevierville, TN
   12-14: Ikasucon - Fort Wayne, IN
   12-14: NatsuCon - Collinsville, IL

   14: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   16: Jeff & Kathie Thompson's anniversary

   19: The Conjuring
   19: R.I.P.D.
   19-21: Quincon 28 - Quincy, Illinois
   19-21: SukoshiCon: Pokécon - Louisville, KY
   19-21: WausaubiCon - Wausau, WI

   20: CoJ Board meeting - VMCC
   20: Nashville Anime Day - Murfreesboro, TN

   22: Stephen Kendall's birthday

   23: Ricky Lile's birthday
   23: Ron Hawkins's birthday

   25: Kathie Thompson's birthday
   25: Amanda Erwin's birthday
   25-28: PulpFest 2013 - Columbus, OH

   26: The Wolverine
   26-28: ConBravo! - Hamilton, ON
   26-28: Fandomfest - Louisville , Kentucky
   26-28: Ryu-Kon 2013 Anime & Gaming Convention - Niagara Falls, NY
   26-28: TFcon - Mississauga, Ontario

   27-28: Fantasy Gamer's Conclave - Cary, North Carolina

   28-30: Delta Aquarid meteor shower - Look, up in the sky!

   31: Kim Huff's birthday

August 2013

   1: Susan Rati Lane's birthday

   2: Whoosier Network - LifeJourney
   2-3: Daycon Clarksville - Clarksville, TN
   2-4: Atomic Lollipop - Toronto, ON
   2-4: Diversicon 21 - St. Paul, MN
   2-4: Go!Daiko-Con - Pontiac, MI

   3: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   3: Kent Raquet's birthday
   3-4: AniBash - Rochester, NY

   7: Indy Knights Meeting - Athenaeum
   7: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

   9: Elysium
   9-11: Otakon - Baltimore, MD

   11: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library
   11-13: Perseid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   15-18: Gen Con Indy 2013 – Indiana Convention Center

   16-18: Motaku - Kansas City, MO
   16-18: Otakuthon - Montréal, Quebec

   21: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

   22: Keith Chike's birthday
   22-25: FanExpo Canada - Toronto, ON

   23: You're Next
   23-25: Geek.Kon - Madison, WI
   23-25: Intervention - Rockville, MD
   23-25: MatsuriCon - Columbus, OH
   23-25: SaikouCon - Breinigsville, PA

   25: Scott Picha's birthday
   25: Ash Show - Ramada East

   29-9/2: LoneStarCon 3 (Worldcon) - San Antonio, TX

   30: Satanic
   30-9/1: Chiisaicon - Shepherdsville, KY
   30-9/1: Meta Con - Minneapolis, MN
   30-9/1: Queen City Conquest 2013 – Buffalo, NY
   30-9/2: Dragon*Con - Atlanta, GA
   30-9/2: TCEP 20: The Most Interesting Con in the World – Sterling, VA

   31: Deidre Rynard's birthday

============================

June Meeting Agenda

 The Circle of Janus
 June Meeting
 June 1, 2013

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests and member attendance
    May meeting minutes
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 33
    Convention Report, InConJunction 34
    Convention Report, InConJunction 35
    Board Report, if needed
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Member Services
       Audit Committee
       Archivist
       Quartermaster
       Outreach Coordinator
          Indy Pride
          Pagan Pride
       Meeting Location
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Meeting space
    Member Activities
       June meeting- 3D printing demo
       June non-meeting
       August meeting
       After-the-Con Bash
    Member Cards
    Anything else?
 New Business
    Anything?
 Announcements - one per person please
 Close of meeting - Chaos

============================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

June 2013
   Beukes, Lauren • The Shining Girls • (Little, Brown/Mulholland Books, hc)
   Bledsoe, Alex • Wisp of a Thing • (Tor, hc)
   Card, Orson Scott, & Aaron Johnston • Earth Afire • (Tor, hc)
   Corey, James S. A. • Abaddon's Gate • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Datlow, Ellen, ed. • Best Horror of the Year: Volume Five • (Night
Shade Books, anth, tpb)
   Elliott, Kate • Cold Steel • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Gaiman, Neil • The Ocean at the End of the Lane •
(HarperCollins/Morrow, hc)
   Guran, Paula, ed. • After the End: Recent Apocalypses • (Prime Books,
anth, tpb)
   Lackey, Mercedes, & Eric Flint & Dave Freer • Burdens of the Dead •
(Baen, hc)
   Lackey, Mercedes • Steadfast • (DAW, hc)
   McIntosh, Will • Love Minus Eighty • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Moon, Elizabeth • Limits of Power • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Nickle, David • The ‘Geisters • (ChiZine Publications, hc)
   Niven, Larry, & Matthew Joseph Harrington • The Goliath Stone • (Tor, hc)
   + Nix, Garth, & Sean Williams • Troubletwisters: The Mystery •
(Scholastic Press, nvl-ya, hc)
   Pratchett, Terry, & Stephen Baxter • The Long War • (Harper, hc)
   Ross, Deborah J. • The Seven-Petaled Shield • (DAW)
   Scholes, Ken • Requiem • (Tor, hc)
   Shevdon, Mike • The Eighth Court • (Angry Robot US)
   Simmons, Dan • The Guiding Nose of Ulfant Banderoz • (Subterranean
Press, hc)
   Spencer, Wen • Eight Million Gods • (Baen, hc)
   Strahan, Jonathan, ed. • Fearsome Journeys • (Rebellion/Solaris US, anth)
   Yolen, Jane, & Adam Stemple • The Hostage Prince • (Penguin/Viking,
nvl-ya, hc)

July 2013
   Adams, John Joseph, ed. • Wastelands II: More Stories of the Apocalypse
• (Night Shade Books, anth, tpb)
   Anderson, Taylor • Destroyermen: Storm Surge • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Arnason, Eleanor • The Big Mama Stories • (Aqueduct Press, cln, tpb)
   Beiko, Samantha, & Sandra Kasturi, eds. • Imaginarium 2013: The Best
Canadian Speculative Writing • (ChiZine Publications, anth, hc)
   Bond, Gwenda • The Woken Gods • (Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry US,
nvl-ya, tpb)
   Bova, Ben • New Earth • (Tor, hc)
   Brooks, Terry • Witch Wraith • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Dozois, Gardner, ed. • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth
Annual Collection • (St. Martin's Griffin, anth, hc)
   Flynn, Michael • On the Razor's Edge • (Tor, hc)
   Goyer, David S., & Michael Cassutt • Heaven's Fall • (Ace, hc)
   Griffin, Kate • The Glass God • (Orbit US, tpb)
   + Haig, Matt • The Humans • (Simon & Schuster/Free Press, hc)
   Hearne, Kevin • Hunted • (Ballantine Del Rey)
   Horton, Rich, ed. • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy: 2013 •
(Prime Books, anth, tpb)
   Hoyt, Sarah A. • Noah's Boy • (Baen, tpb)
   Kadrey, Richard • Kill City Blues • (Harper Voyager US, hc)
   Lake, Jay • Love in the Time of Metal and Flesh • (Prime Books, hc)
   Nix, Garth • Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Stross, Charles • Neptune's Brood • (Ace, hc)
   Turtledove, Harry • Two Fronts • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Valente, Catherynne M. • The Melancholy of Mechagirl •
(VizMedia/Haikasoru, cln, tpb)
   Willis, Connie • The Best of Connie Willis • (Ballantine Del Rey, cln, hc)

============================

Tidbits from Our Members

Laura Edwards: Indy Pride is Saturday, June 8. We need volunteers to cover
2-hour blocks at our booth.

Bob Richey: As a reminder, if you have any COJ materials for the archive;
electronic or physical, please bring them to the next meeting.  If you
have something that you don't want to part with permanently, I can scan it
and return it to you at the following meeting.

Joe Greene (Head of InConJunction Programming): Please remember we are
collecting random crafting bits and supplies for a Costume bash event at
InConJunction XXXIII! So bring your scraps and oddments to be recycled
into last minute costumes.

Cheryl Miller-Andrews is looking for book donations to a small school
library. Most of the kids are not into SF. The school is grade 7-12, but
many of the kids are below grade level in reading. Anyone that has books
to donate can bring it to her at the meeting.

Lynette Cowper: Monty Python’s Spamalot is coming to the Athenaeum Theatre
June 14-15, 20-23, and 28-29, 2013.

============================

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus will be Saturday, June 1, 2013,
at the LifeJourney Church, 2950 55th Place, Indianapolis, IN, starting
at 7:00 pm. There is a ConCom meeting preceding it from 5:30 to 6:45.
Local 3D printing entrepreneur Kim Brand will speak/demo after the
meeting.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Kat Robertson
   Vice-President - John Belden
   Secretary - Lynette Cowper
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli
   InConJunction 35 ConChair - Jeff Thompson

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo