[CircularOfJanus] March 2013 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Sat Mar 2 12:54:34 EST 2013

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 February 27, 2013
 Volume 34, Issue 3

Contents:
   Summary of the February Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   New Books - from Locus
   Mark Your Calendars
   Tidbits from Our Members
   March Meeting Agenda
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

   ============================

Summary of the February Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on February 2 at LifeJourney Church. All officers except
Treasurer Kent Raquet and InConJunction 33 ConChair Melissa Kocias were
present. We had two guests-- a friend of Bob and Kim's whose name I didn't
catch and Emily's sister, Sabrina.

We accepted the last meeting minutes as published. Kat read a letter from
the ISM about their upcoming Star Wars exhibit, then Lynette read some
letters from Donors Choose and the kids in the classes to whom we donated.
The written Treasurer's report was passed out, then Drew gave a brief
update on InConJunction 33. Stuart Sayger is our Artist GoH. We're looking
to sell Program Book ads and are also offering a $1 “Superfriends of
InCon” page where people can get their name listed. Drew reported on his
GoHs for InConJunction 34-- Aaron Allston, Author GoH, and Aaron Williams,
Author/Artist GoH. Andy gave a brief Board report, summarizing the
published minutes. We're still looking for a new meeting location. We have
an agreement with LifeJourney through June. Kat reminded everyone to
update their member information so Anj can send you cards. We're still
looking for someone to take over Member Activities. Laura spoke about Indy
Pride and then mentioned a barter school in Indianapolis.

We discussed upcoming member activities, then moved on to appointments--
    Audit Committee: John (who will head it up), Wendy, Emily, Gary P.,
and Kent; Club and Covention Archivist: Bob Richey; Webmaster: Jeff;
Member Activities: Still looking for a volunteer; Member Services: Anjala;
Meeting Location Search Committee Head: Tracey; Newsletter Editor:
Lynette; Welcoming Coordinator: Tracey; Club Quartermaster: Ricky. We
decided to use the old membership cards if we can find them.

There were a bunch of announcements. Ones still current: Whosyercon is the
15th-17th of March. There is a GI Joe collectors con coming to Indy in
April at the JW Marriott. There is a year-long, 12-issue Doctor Who comic
coming soon. Cheryl is looking for book donations to a small school
library, grade 7-12, but many of the kids are below grade level in
reading. Most of the kids are not into SF. Anyone that has stuff to donate
can bring it to her at the meeting. A theater in Columbus, IN, will be
doing a showing the debut of the next Doctor Who series on Saturday, March
30th for free. Plan to buy food! There is a new kickstarter for Zombie
Fried coming soon. There will be a local production of Spamalot in June at
the Atheneum. And that was about it!

============================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

March 2013
   Alexander, William • Ghoulish Song • (Simon & Schuster/McElderry,
nvl-ya, hc)
   Bear, Elizabeth • Shattered Pillars • (Tor, hc)
   Bishop, Anne • Written in Red • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Briggs, Patricia • Frost Burned • (Ace, hc)
   Brooks, Terry • Bloodfire Quest • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Card, Orson Scott • The Gate Thief • (Tor, hc)
   Clare, Cassandra • The Clockwork Princess • (Simon & Schuster
McElderry, nvl-ya, hc)
   Czerneda, Julie E. • A Turn of Light • (DAW, tpb)
   Datlow, Ellen, ed. • Hauntings • (Tachyon Publications, anth, tpb)
   Datlow, Ellen, & Terri Windling, eds. • Queen Victoria's Book of Spells
• (Tor, anth, hc)
   de Lint, Charles • The Cats of Tanglewood Forest • (Little, Brown,
nvl-ya, hc)
   Haldeman, Joe • The Best of Joe Haldeman • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Harrison, M. John • Empty Space • (Night Shade Books, tpb)
   Herbert, Brian, & Kevin J. Anderson • Hellhole: Awakening • (Tor, hc)
   Hopkinson, Nalo • Sister Mine • (Grand Central, hc)
   Hoyt, Sarah A. • A Few Good Men • (Baen, tpb)
   Hughes, Matthew • Hell to Pay • (Angry Robot US)
   Irvine, Ian • Rebellion • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Koontz, Dean • Deeply Odd • (Bantam, hc)
   Lumley, Brian • Necroscope: The Moebius Murders • (Subterranean Press, hc)
   McGuire, Seanan • Midnight Blue-Light Special • (DAW)
   Morden, Simon • The Curve of the Earth • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Murphy, C. E. • Mountain Echoes • (Harlequin/Luna, tpb)
   Reed, Kit • The Story Until Now • (Wesleyan University Press, cln, hc)
   Strahan, Jonathan, ed. • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the
Year Volume Seven • (Night Shade Books, anth, tpb)
   Vance, Jack • Magic Highways: The Early Jack Vance, Volume Three •
(Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Weber, David • Shadow of Freedom • (Baen, hc)
   Yolen, Jane, & Adam Stemple • B. U. G. (Big Ugly Guy) •
(Penguin/Dutton, nvl-ya, hc)

April 2013
   Armstrong, Kelley • The Rising • (Harper, nvl-ya, hc)
   Barron, Laird • The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All • (Night Shade
Books, cln, hc)
   Cherryh, C. J. • Protector • (DAW, hc)
   Cornell, Paul • London Falling • (Tor, hc)
   Courtenay Grimwood, Jon • The Exiled Blade • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Gaiman, Neil, & Michael Reaves & Mallory Reaves • The Silver Dream •
(HarperTeen, nvl-ya, hc)
   Guran, Paula, ed. • Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations • (Prime
Books, anth, tpb)
   Hobb, Robin • Blood of Dragons • (Harper Voyager US, hc)
   Kay, Guy Gavriel • River of Stars • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Kowal, Mary Robinette • Without a Summer • (Tor, hc)
   Lackey, Mercedes, & Rosemary Edghill • Sacrifices • (Tor Teen, nvl-ya, hc)
   McCammon, Robert • Lawson • (Subterranean Press, hc)
   McIntosh, Fiona • The Scrivener's Tale • (Harper Voyager US, tpb)
   Mosley, Walter • Stepping Stone/The Love Machine • (Tor, cln, hc)
   Pierce, Tamora • Battle Magic • (Scholastic Press, nvl-ya, hc)
   Pinborough, Sarah • A Matter of Blood • (Ace, tpb)
   Ryman, Geoff • The Warrior Who Carried Life • (ChiZine Publications,
hc/tpb)
   Sawyer, Robert J. • Red Planet Blues • (Ace, hc)
   Shepard, Lucius • Five Autobiographies and a Fiction • (Subterranean
Press, cln, hc)
   Tregillis, Ian • Necessary Evil • (Tor, hc)
   Warrington, Freda • Grail of the Summer Stars • (Tor, hc)
   Whates, Ian, ed. • Solaris Rising 2 • (Rebellion/Solaris US, anth)
   Zafón, Carlos Ruiz • The Watcher in the Shadows • (Little, Brown,
nvl-ya, hc)

============================

Mark Your Calendars

March 2013:

   1: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   1: Jack the Giant Slayer
   1: The Last Exorcism Part II
   1-3: ConNooga - Chattanooga, TN
   1-3: GeneriCon - Troy, NY
   1-3: Intercon - Boston, MA
   1-3: Plattecon XXVI - Platteville, Wi
   1-3: Stellarcon 37 - Greensboro, NC

   2: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   2-3: Clarksville/Ft. Campbell Anime and Comic Kon - Oak Grove, KY
   2-3: The Indy Open - Clarion Hotel
   2-3: SIMCON - Rochester, NY

   6: Indy Knights General Meeting - The Athenaeum

   8: Oz The Great and Powerful
   8-9: UD Con - Dayton, Ohio
   8-10: Furnal Equinox - Toronto, ON
   8-10: MomoCon - Atlanta, GA

   9: IAS General Meeting - Holcomb Observatory

   10: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   12: Randy Porter's birthday

   13: Cathy Dailey's birthday
   13: Janet Dailey's birthday

   14-17: Furry Weekend Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
   14-17: Gary Con - Lake Geneva, WI

   15: Arabella Rollison's birthday
   15-17: Lunacon - Rye Brook, New York
   15-17: MillenniCon - Cincinnati, OH
   15-17: Naka-Kon - Overland Park, KS
   15-17: Who's Yer Con - Clarion Waterfront

   16-17: Lexington Comic & Toy Con - Lexington, KY
   16-17: SpringFestNY - Brooklyn, NY

   17: Amanda Dailey-Weaver's birthday
   17: Dee Ann Moore's birthday

   21: Mike & Lynette Cowper's anniversary

   22: The Croods
   22-24: CaesarCon - Montpelier, OH
   22-24: EvilleCon - Evansville, IN
   22-24: FantaSciCon - Dalton, GA
   22-24: Kitsune Kon - Appleton, WI
   22-24: MidSouthCon - Memphis, TN
   22-24: PAX East - Boston, MA
   22-24: Triad Anime Convention - Winston-Salem, NC
   22-24: Vericon - Cambridge, MA
   22-24: Zenkaikon - Lancaster, PA

   23: CoJ Board Meeting - VMCC
   23: Celebrating Ray Bradbury - Irvington Branch Library
   23: Animarathon - Bowling Green, OH
   23: Shobou Con - Chesapeake, VA
   23-24: Tora-Con - Rochester, NY

   25: Neil Thompson's birthday

   26: Chris Canary's birthday

   29: The Host
   29-31: Marcon - Columbus OH
   29-31: Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Nashville, TN
   29-31: Minicon - Bloomington, MN

   30: Doctor Who series premier - Yes Cinema, Columbus, IN

April 2013:

   1: Judy Eudaly's birthday

   3: Indy Knights General Meeting - The Athenaeum

   4: Mark Bischoff's birthday
   4-7: G.I.JoeCon 2013 - JW Marriott

   5: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   5: Jurassic Park 3D
   5-7: Ad Astra - Toronto, ON
   5-7: Animation and Gaming Ohio - Cincinnati, Ohio
   5-7: ConGlomeration - Louisville, KY
   5-7: Shuto Con - Lansing, MI
   5-7: Tekkoshocon - Pittsburgh, PA

   6: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6: IAS General Meeting - Holcomb Observatory
   6-7: Jaycon - Elizabethtown, PA

   10: Kyra Shidler's birthday

   12: Evil Dead
   12: Oblivion
   12: Scary Movie 5
   12-14: Anime St. Louis - Collinsville, IL
   12-14: No Brand Con - Eau Claire, WI
   12-14: Odyssey Con - Madison, Wi
   12-14: Shinboku Con - Elyria, OH
   12-14: Windy City Pulp & Paper Convention - Lombard IL

   13: Anime Park - Canton, MI
   13: Kappa Kon - South Milwaukee, WI
   13-14: NashiCon - Columbia, SC

   14: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   15: Melissa Kocias's birthday

   19: Jessica Carrico's birthday
   19: JOBS
   19-21: Anime Detour - Bloomington, MN
   19-21: CODCON XVIII - Glen Ellyn, IL
   19-21: FilKONtario - Missisauga, ON
   19-21: GnomeCon - Savannah, GA
   19-21: T-MODE - Rockville, MD
   19-21: The Gaming Hoopla - Janesville, WI
   19-21: UBCon - Buffalo, NY

   20: Public Star Gaze - McCloud Nature Park, North Salem, IN

   21-22: Lyrid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   22: Mark Racop's birthday

   23: Jeff Thompson's birthday

   24: Susan Parker's birthday

   26-28: Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) - Chicago, IL
   26-28: Nadeshicon - Quebec City, Quebec

   28: Brian Davidson's birthday
   28: Ash Comics - Ramada Inn on E 21st St

   29: Theresa Shidler's birthday
   29: Harry Bunn's birthday

May 2013

   1: Indy Knights General Meeting - The Athenaeum

   2-5: AnCon (Another Game Convention) - Hudson, Oh

   3: Iron Man 3
   3: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   3-5: National Halloween, Horror, Haunted House and Hearse Convention
Program - Philadelphia, Pa

   4: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   4: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory
   4-5: Eta Aquarid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   9-12: Geekway to the West - St. Louis, MO

   10-12: BAMCon - Pittsfield, MA
   10-12: Link Campout - Link Observatory

   11: Barry Childs-Helton's birthday

   12: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   14: Deb Hunt's birthday

   17: Star Trek Into Darkness
   17: Kat Robertson's birthday
   17-19: Anime Central - Rosemont, IL
   17-19: Spectrum Fantastic Art Live - Kansas City, MO

   18: CoJ Board Meeting - VMCC
   18: Mike Wickliff's birthday
   18: Public Star Gaze - McCloud Nature Park, North Salem, IN
   18: South Bend ComicCon - South Bend, IN

   19: Cheryl Miller Andrews's birthday
   19: Debbie Happli's birthday
   19: CloverCon - Bridgewater, NJ

   23-26: Animazement - Raleigh, NC

   24: Epic
   24-26: Anime Boston - Boston, MA
   24-26: Anime North - Toronto, Ontario
   24-26: ConQuest - Kansas City, MO
   24-27: Balticon - Hunt Valley MD

   25: JABEcon! - Lebanon, TN

   27: Lynn Ciurej's birthday

   31: The Purge
   31: Katt McConnell's birthday
   31-6/2: HamaCon - Huntsville, AL

============================

Tidbits from Our Members

Joe Greene (Head of InConJunction Programming): Please remember we are
collecting random crafting bits and supplies for a Costume bash event at
InConJunction XXXIII! So bring your scraps and oddments to be recycled
into last minute costumes.

Cheryl Miller-Andrews is looking for book donations to a small school
library. Most of the kids are not into SF. The school is grade 7-12, but
many of the kids are below grade level in reading. Anyone that has books
to donate can bring it to her at the meeting.

Wendy Carson: Saturday, March 30th is the debut of the next Doctor Who
series. Yes Cinema, a theater in Columbus, IN, will be doing a showing on
the big screen for free. Those attending should plan to buy some food, as
this is how they can afford to do this.

Kim Richey from Dow Agro will be providing an experiment after the meeting
this coming Saturday. The DNA extraction experiment is a hands on
demonstration of extracting DNA from fruit using household reagents. It
generally takes about 10 minutes and the participants get to take the DNA
home after they extract it. All of the supplies will be provided by me, I
just need you to bring your curiosity and sense of fun.

Kat Robertson: As many of you know, Kent, Kevin and I own a wonderful
gaming company called INWAP Games, LLC. We have launched a kickstarter
project for our game Zombie Fried. This is the link:
   http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/396776259/zombie-fried-the-hilarious-card-game
Please follow the link as a search for Zombie Fried finds only the old,
unsuccessful one. The game is already at the printers, so this is a
reality. We just need the kickstarter to help with that final push for
shipping costs. Please come support us and also get a great game with some
wonderful rewards.

Laura Edwards ran across an article on a school in Indianapolis that
operates through the barter system. Students pay in goods rather than
money. She noted someone was looking to learn about LARPing. She thought
some members might be interested in offering classes or taking them.
Tradeschool.coop/indianapolis is the URL.

Anjala Dick: I am working on making sure everyone gets cards this year
(birthday, anniversary, etc.). So many people have not updated their
information yet. I know that we have quite a few new members. For the new
members, you will need to log on to the Circle of Janus Website
(www.circleofjanus.org), click your name, and update your important dates
like birthday, anniversary (if you have one), and birthdays for spouses
and children. Thanks a million. I really like doing this for the club. I
hope it brings a smile to the faces that get a card.

Lynette Cowper: Fahrenheit 3/23: Celebrating Ray Bradbury: Join Jonathan
R. Eller, professor of English and Director of the Center for Ray Bradbury
Studies at IUPUI, in celebration of legendary fiction writer Ray Bradbury.
At 10:30 am., Eller will speak on the topic, "A Miracle of Rare Device:
The Center for Ray Bradbury Studies." At 2 p.m., he will lead a discussion
of Bradbury's novel, Fahrenheit 451. At 5:30 p.m., the film, Fahrenheit
451 (113 minutes) will be shown. Age Level: Adults. Irvington Branch
Library, Saturday, March 23, 10:30 am - 7:30 pm.

============================

March Meeting Agenda

 The Circle of Janus
 March Meeting
 March 2, 2013

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests and member attendance
    February meeting minutes
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 33
    Convention Report, InConJunction 34
    Convention Report, InConJunction 35
    Board Report, if needed
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Meeting Location
       Member Services Report
       Outreach Coordinator
          Indy Pride
          Pagan Pride
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Meeting space
    Member Activities
    Member Cards
    Anything else?
 New Business
    Anything?
 Announcements - one per person please
 Close of meeting - Chaos

============================

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus will be Saturday, March 2,
2013, at LifeJourney Church, 2950 55th Place, Indianapolis, IN,
starting at 7:00 pm. There is a ConCom meeting preceding it from 5:30
to 6:45.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Kat Robertson
   Vice-President - John Belden
   Secretary - Lynette Cowper
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli
   InConJunction 35 ConChair - Jeff Thompson

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo