[CircularOfJanus] December 2013 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Sat Nov 30 19:45:57 EST 2013

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 December 2013
 Volume 34, Issue 12

Contents:
   Summary of the November Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Nominations for Office
   Summary of the November Board Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   New Books - from Locus
   Mark Your Calendars
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

============================

Summary of the November Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The CoJ met on November 2 at LifeJourney Church. We were missing Treasurer
Kent Raquet, and InConJunction 33 and 35 Chairs Mel Kocias and Jeff
Thompson. All other officers were present. In guests we had Katt and Sean
McConnell of Wax Chaotic, who were performing during the Procrastinator's
Halloween Party, and Jennifer from the Darkside crew. We had around 32
adults and kids in attendance.

The October meeting minutes were accepted as published, with corrections.
There were no Treasurer's, InConJunction 33, or InConJunction 35 reports.
Drew briefly reported on InConJunction 34. We still have a few positions
open. See Drew if interested. Panel Submissions were opening the following
day. Andy reminded everyone of the upcoming Board meeting. There were a
couple brief committee reports, then we moved to Old Business.

In Old Business, Kat reminded everyone we would be at Valley Mills
Christian Church for the Anniversary Party in December. John, as
Vice-President, would be bringing drinks, paper products, and the meat.
The club members would provide sides and desserts. Watch your email for a
list of who's bringing what! We planned a karaoke non-meeting meeting for
the 15th at the Mucky Duck. We re-opened nominations for club office. The
nominees are listed below.

There was no New Business, so we moved to announcements. Of those still
relevant, Joe said Artemis is doing semi-regular gatherings. Bob is doing
woodwork if people need special Christmas gifts. Kat said INWAP will soon
be doing a Kickstarter for 7 Sins. Her son Jason was jumped and robbed,
but is okay. Ricky said on December 7, Five Year Mission, the Madeira, and
the Shake-Ups will be performing at Melody Inn. John mentioned Shrek: The
Musical will be at Fishers on the 15th and 16th. Randy said Gen Con's
pre-reg and hotel dates have been announced. Joe asked for good
thoughts/energy/prayers for his step-mother, who is having multiple
medical issues including renal failure and heart problems. Andy said Rick
Sikes had another stroke and is at the VA. He will post contact info in
email. Rob had to mock Purdue fans by mentioning that OSU had beaten them.

And that was it for the November meeting.

============================

Current Nominations for Office
 (Not including Declines)

InConJunction 36 (2016) ConChair
   Lynette Cowper

President
   Lynette Cowper
   Mike Cowper
   Laura Edwards
   Ricky Lile

Vice President
   Lynette Cowper
   Joe Greene
   Anjala Dick (Not present to accept/decline.)

Secretary
   Kai Cowper
   Lynette Cowper
   Laura Edwards
   Beckie Margedant

Treasurer
   Laura Edwards
   Steven Kendall (Thinking about it.)

Sergeant-at-Arms
   Kai Cowper
   Mike Cowper
   Joe Greene
   Ricky Lile
   Beckie Margedant
   Dillan Dick (Not present to accept/decline.)
   Kent Raquet (Is still considering.)

============================

Summary of the November Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met at Valley Mills Christian Church on November 23. All
officers except President Kat Robertson, Treasurer Kent Raquet, and
InConJunction 35 ConChair Jeff Thompson were present. Mike Cowper, Jeremy
Murray, and Wendy Carson were also present.

Lynette ran through the September Board minutes briefly. They were
approved as published. We ran down a few items with InConJunction 34 and
Pagan Pride. We discussed outreach to other cons and groups. Lynette
suggested we should have an Indiana con organizers gathering to consider
what we can do to help each other out. Discussion ensued. We're thinking
March-ish, perhaps before the CoJ meeting, with the top folks from Who's
Yer Con, Starbase, Pop Con, Darkside, and the Circle City Aerodrome
invited. We then touched on signage, the upcoming elections, and the next
meeting's agenda. And that was it for the November Board meeting.

============================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

December 2013
   Bova, Ben • Mars, Inc. • (Baen, hc)
   Castro, Adam-Troy • Her Husband's Hands • (Prime Books, cln, tpb)
   Dietz, William C. • Andromeda's Choice • (Ace, hc)
   Hartwell, David G., ed. • Year's Best SF 18 • (Tor, anth, hc)
   Lackey, Mercedes • Dragon's Teeth • (Baen, tpb)
   Martin, George R. R., & Gardner Dozois, eds. • Dangerous Women • (Tor,
anth, hc)
   Oliver, Jonathan, ed. • The End of the Road • (Rebellion/Solaris US, anth)
   + Pinborough, Sarah • The Chosen Seed • (Ace, tpb)
   Resnick, Mike • The Doctor and the Dinosaurs • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Tregillis, Ian • Something More Than Night • (Tor, hc)
   Turtledove, Harry • Supervolcano: Things Fall Apart • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Valente, Catherynne M. • The Bread We Eat in Dreams • (Subterranean
Press, cln, hc)
   Yellowboy, Erzebet • Fingerbones • (Prime/Masque, nva)

January 2014
   Armstrong, Kelley • Brazen • (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Barker, Clive • Chiliad • (Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Bledsoe, Alex • He Drank, and Saw the Spider • (Tor, hc)
   Datlow, Ellen, ed. • Lovecraft's Monsters • (Tachyon Publications,
anth, tpb)
   Haldeman, Joe • Work Done for Hire • (Ace, hc)
   Koontz, Dean • Innocence • (Bantam, hc)
   + Pinborough, Sarah • Mayhem • (Quercus/Jo Fletcher US, hc)
   Riggs, Ransom • Hollow City • (Quirk Books, hc)
   Walton, Jo • What Makes This Book So Great • (Tor, nf, hc)
   Wendig, Chuck • The Cormorant • (Angry Robot US)

============================

Mark Your Calendars

December 2013

   4: Crystal Wolf's birthday
   4: Indy Knights General Meeting - Rathskellar

   6: Whoosier Network Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6-8: Steel City Con - Monroeville, PA
   6-8: Yama-Con - Pigeon Forge, TN

   7: CoJ Anniversary Party - VMCC

   8: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   12: Wendy Carson's birthday

   13: Laura Edwards's birthday
   13: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
   13-14: Geminid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!
   13-15: Anime Crossroads - Indianapolis Marriott East
   13-15: Con+Alt+Delete - Lisle, IL
   13-15: DomoCon - Lisle, IL
   13-15: F3 - Part Deux: Remixed - Branson, MO
   13-15: Jersey Comic Con - Hammonton, NJ

   16: George Starkey's birthday

   20: Walking With Dinosaurs

   21-22: Ursids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!
   21-22: Biggs Park Mall Comic Book and Toy Show - Lumberton, NC

   23: Gordon Huxford's birthday

   27-29: Anime Apocalypse - Rockford, IL

   29: Ash Comic Book Show - Indianapolis, IN

January 2014

   2-3: Quadrantids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   3: Whoosier Network - Life Journey Church
   3: Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
   3-4: ShadowCon - Memphis, TN
   3-5: Anime-Zap! - East Peoria, IL

   4: CoJ Meeting and Elections – VMCC

   9-12: Ichibancon - Concord, NC

   10: Her
   10: The Legend of Hercules
   10-11: KotoriCon - Sewell, NJ
   10-12: Ahn!Con - Kansas City, MO
   10-12: GAFilk - Atlanta, GA

   11: South Bend Comic Book Con - South Bend, IN

   17: Devil's Due
   17-19: ConFusion - Ann Arbor, MI
   17-19: DeCONPression - Columbus, OH
   17-19: MarsCon - Williamsburg, VA
   17-20: Arisia - Boston, MA

   18-19: Murfreesboro Anime and Comic Kon - Murfreesboro, TN

   24: I, Frankenstein
   24-26: Chattacon - Chattanooga, TN
   24-26: Ohayocon - Columbus, OH

   25: Rob Pyatt's birthday
   25-26: Setsucon - State College, PA

   31-2/2: SuperCon - Minneapolis, MN

February 2014

   1: CoJ Meeting - VMCC

   6: Ren Cowper's birthday
   6-9: Capricon - Wheeling, IL

   7: Whoosier Network - Life Journey Church
   7-9: AlmaCon - Alma, MI
   7-9: Kawa Kon - St. Louis, MO

   8: Lynette R. F. Cowper's birthday

   9: Kyle Casteel's birthday

   12: RoboCop

   14: Vampire Academy
   14-16: Anime Milwaukee - Milwaukee, WI
   14-16: Boskone - Boston, MA
   14-16: Con of the North - Minneapolis, MN
   14-16: Farpoint - Timonium, MD
   14-16: Kami-Con - Birmingham, AL
   14-16: Katsucon - National Harbor, MD

   21-23: Con-G - Guelph, Ontario
   21-23: ConNooga - Chattanooga, TN
   21-23: MystiCon - Roanoke, VA
   21-23: No Such Convention - Poughkeepsie, NY
   21-23: Who's Yer Con - Clarion Waterfront Hotel

   22: Fort Wayne Comic Book Con - Ft. Wayne, IN

   23: Ash Comic Book Show - Ramada Inn at E 21st
   23: NWI Comic-Con - Schererville, IN

   26: Samantha Crawford's birthday

   28(29): Howard Tayler's birthday
   28-3/2: GeneriCon - Troy, NY
   28-3/2: Ring of Fire Con - Virginia Beach, VA
   28-3/2: Visioncon - Springfield, MO

============================

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus is the club anniversary party
on Saturday, December 7, 2013, at Valley Mills Christian Church (where
we had the After-the-Con Bash), 5555 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis, IN,
starting at 7:00 pm. There is no ConCom meeting this month.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Kat Robertson
   Vice-President - John Belden
   Secretary - Lynette Cowper
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli
   InConJunction 35 ConChair - Jeff Thompson

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
   Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo