[CircularOfJanus] April 2016 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Sat Apr 9 13:49:25 EDT 2016

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 April 2016
 Volume 37, Issue 4

Contents:
   Summary of the March Club Meeting
   Summary of the March Board Meeting
   Mark Your Calendars
   New Books – from Locus
   April Meeting Agenda
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

===================================

Summary of the March Club Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on March 5 at Valley Mills Christian Church. All officers
were present. There were about 33-ish people present. We had no new
guests.

The February meeting minutes were approved as amended to remove the
reference to a mistake in the November minutes. We got a Treasurer's
Report covering accounts, the progress of the reincorporation, and the
purchase of QuickBooks, then moved to convention reports. For 2016, Laura
reported that things are moving along. She's contacting local fan groups
for a mass “introduce yourself” panel. Our table at Capricon did well. For
Who's Yer Con we have a hall table that we are pooling with other local
cons for a “super table”. For 2017, Joe is having mild difficulty getting
email responses, but is developing connections to the Indiana Filmmakers
Network, for whom we need to create a laurel. For 2018, Beckie has no new
news.

Andy reported that the March Board meeting would be in two weeks. In
committees, the Audit Committee is exchanging emails but hasn't met yet;
Beckie with Member Services has gotten cards “and stuff” from Kat;
Outreach was halfway through the registration process with Pride; there
was nothing new from Archivist, Quartermaster, or Webmaster.

In Old Business, we're planning another silent auction as a club
fundraisers later in the year; Jeremy Murray has the Member Cards; there
were printed copies of the Bylaws available for anyone who wanted them, as
well as being available online; and reincorporation was adequately
addressed in the Treasurer's Report.

In New Business, we looked at club activities. For a March non-meeting we
had the Circle City Aerodrome Ball on Mar 12 and Star Trek orchestra on
March 18. Mel had  pinged Rob for Weird Science for the April
post-meeting, but hadn't heard back. For April Non-Meetings, we had Who's
Yer Con, April 1-3, and Naptown Roller Girls on April 2 and April 16. The
May Post-Meeting will be Kat's gaming party and pitch-in, with bonus adult
coloring.

In Announcements, Ron mention Who North America has a new store just down
the street from VMCC, at 8901 State Road 67. Nathan put in for a DC
supervisor position. Beckie said Fun Police looking for donations after
Easter (plain chocolate – we're set on other candy). Kat was going to the
Footlights production of Avenue Q. And Joe has a full-sized bed needing a
home, which he's willing to deliver!

And that was it for March!

===================================

Summary of the March Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met on March 19 at Valley Mills Christian Church. All officers
were present. Steven Hanna attended with his dad.

The January Board minutes were approved as published. We got a brief
Treasurer's Report. In con reports, for 2016, Laura wanted to follow up on
a few things – clubs, hall tables, room parties. Concoction was good, but
she feels we need better marketing presentation – better signage, “selling
badges”, etc. We will be sharing a “super table” with other local cons at
Who's Yer Con. For 2017, Joe hasn't reapproached his hopeful Author GoH
yet. He is working on designing the laurel for IFN. For 2018, Beckie had
nothing new.

In Old Business, the Audit Committee had nothing new. Outreach needed some
documentation for Pride. Incorporation is waiting for the Secretary of
State.

In New Business, Who's Yer Con was set. We were going to send a card, as a
club, to Lisa and Jeff, who are marrying there. We discussed getting stuff
about mailing lists to Joe, having Jeremy M. act as Assistant Webmaster.
The Board exchanged phone numbers. We discussed issues with the
Make-a-Wish special event agreement and how to respond if Indiana passes
an anti-transgender bathroom bill. Lastly, we talked about Facebook promo
billing.

And that was it for the March Board meeting!

===================================

Mark Your Calendars

April 2016

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Science Fiction: Imagination, Fun & Intellect: Join our own Ron Hawkins
in a presentation on science fiction with memorabilia, trivia, anecdotes
and media.
+ Saturday, April 23, 2:00-3:00 PM; Morgan County
+ Library, Waverly Branch
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Retro Arcade currently features up to 22 game stations and is targeted
primarily at multi-generational visitors to the museum. The arcade
includes both retro and more current games. This is the museum’s first
attempt at cultivating a dedicated audience for video gaming.
+ Indiana State Museum, through May 1
+ Arcade Admission: $7 plus general admission, $10 without museum
admission, or free for museum members.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Alien Worlds and Androids: From Star Wars to Lost in Space to Iron Man,
science fiction movies and TV shows have captivated us with extraordinary
characters and alien worlds far from our own. But science fiction has also
inspired scientists and engineers to explore new worlds and develop new
technologies—moving us forward as things that were once science fiction
become science fact. Now you can join scientists in the search for life
beyond our world in this interactive exhibit.
+ The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, through May 1
+ Cost: Museum admission
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

   1: Judy Eudaly's birthday
   1: The Girl in the Photographs
   1: Whoosier Network Mtg - LifeJourney Church
   1-3: Conbust - Northampton, MA
   1-3: Gaming Hoopla – Lake Geneva, IL
   1-3: NashiCon - Columbia, SC
   1-3: SIMCON - Rochester, NY
   1-3: Whinny City Pony Con - Schaumburg, IL
   1-3: Who's Yer Con - Wyndham Indianapolis West
   1-3: Zenkaikon - Lancaster, PA

   2: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory
   2-3: MoCCA Festival - New York, NY
   2-3: SC Comicon - Greenville, SC

   4: Mark Bischoff's birthday
   4: Gary Kitchen's birthday

   7-10: BotCon - Louisville, KY
   7-10: Tekko - Pittsburgh, PA

   8: Hardcore Henry
   8: The Invitation
   8: A Space Program
   8-10: CODCON XXI – Glen Ellyn, IL
   8-10: ConGlomeration - Louisville, KY
   8-10: FilkONtario - Mississauga, ON
   8-10: Midwest Gaming Classic – Brookfield, WI
   8-10: New England Super Megafest - Marlborough, MA
   8-10: OdysseyCon - Madison, WI
   8-10: Wizard World Comic Con - Madison, WI

   9: CoJ Meeting - VMCC (Note the date change!)
   9-10: Jaycon - Elizabethtown, PA
   9-10: Walker Stalker Con - Nashville, TN

   10: Kyra Shidler's birthday
   10: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library

   11: Kim Richey's birthday

   13: David Henninger's birthday
   13: Brandon Marr-Cashion Spratt's birthday

   15: Melissa Kocias's birthday
   15: Criminal
   15: Green Room
   15: The Jungle Book
   15-17: 1d4Con – Martinsburg, WV
   15-17: A&G Con - Cincinnati, OH
   15-17: Cape Comic Con - Cape Girardeau, MO
   15-17: Midwest Media Expo – Dearborn, MI
   15-17: No Brand Con - Wisconsin Dells, WI
   15-17: Steel City Con - Monroeville, PA
   15-17: Treklanta – Atlanta, GA
   15-17: UBCon - Buffalo, NY

   16: LOSSI astronomy presentation - Mooresville Public Library
   16-17: East Coast Comicon - Secaucus, NJ
   16-17: Fantasticon Toledo - Toledo, OH

   18: Mercury at Greatest Eastern Elongation - Look, up in the sky!

   19: Jessica Carrico's birthday
   19-21: East Coast Game Conference - Raleigh, NC

   22: Mark Racop's birthday
   22: The Huntsman Winter's War
   22: Tale of Tales
   22-23 - Lyrids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!
   22-24: Anime Detour - Bloomington, MN
   22-24: Flower City Comic Con - Rochester, NY
   22-24: JordanCon - Alpharetta, GA
   22-24: MEPACON – Scranton, PA
   22-24: OmegaCon - Siren, WI
   22-24: PAX East – Boston, MA
   22-24: Windy City Pulp & Paperback Convention - Lombard, IL

   23: Jeff Thompson's birthday
   23-24: Castle Point Anime Convention - Hoboken, NJ
   23-24: Chase Con Expo - Saratoga Springs, NY
   23-24: Flower City Comic Con - Rochester, NY
   23-24: Midorifest - West Portsmouth, OH
   23-24: Tora-Con - Rochester, NY

   24: Susan Parker's birthday

   28: Brian Davidson's birthday
   28-5/1: World Horror Convention - Provo, UT

   29: Harry Bunn's birthday
   29: Theresa Shidler's birthday
   29: Tina Wong's birthday
   29: Ratchet and Clank
   29-30: Noreastcon - Old Bethpage, NY
   29-5/1: Ad Astra - Toronto, ON, Canada
   29-5/1: Animatic Con - Cincinnati, OH
   29-5/1: Indiana Comic Con - Indianapolis Convention Center
   29-5/1: IndieCade East - New York, NY
   29-5/1: Penguicon - Southfield, MI
   29-5/1: Ravencon - Williamsburg, VA

   30: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory
   30-5/1: DrawnCon - Boston, MA
   30-5/1: Lebanon Comic Con - Lebanon, MO
   30-5/1: Shikacon - Bristol, TN

May 2016

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Mythic Indy Author Reading: Local authors Hugh Vandivier, Clint Smith,
Maggie Wheeler, and Austin Wilson will share tales of adventures set in
downtown Indianapolis. The authors were contributors to Mythic Indy, an
anthology of weird stories and legends set in various Indianapolis
locations that benefits the programs of Second Story.
+ Sunday, May 22, 2016, 3:00-4:30 PM; IPL Central Library
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

   5-8: Frolicon - Atlanta, GA

   6: Whoosier Network Mtg - LifeJourney Church
   6: Captain America: Civil War
   6-7: Eta Aquarids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!
   6-8: Anime Fan Fest - Somerset, NJ
   6-8: AniMinneapolis - Minneapolis, MN
   6-8: Marcon – Columbus, OH
   6-8: Wizard World - Minneapolis, MN
   6-9: Costume-Con - Madison, WI

   7: CoJ Meeting - VMCC

   8: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library

   9: Rare Transit of Mercury Across the Sun

   11: Barry Childs-Helton's birthday

   12-15: Nebula Awards Weekend - Chicago, IL

   13: The Lobster
   13-15: Anime St. Louis - St. Charles, MO
   13-15: Corflu ("Chiflu") - Chicago, IL
   13-15: Outlantacon - Atlanta, GA
   13-15: Steampunk World's Fair - Piscataway, NJ

   14: Deb Hunt's birthday
   14: Bob Richey's birthday
   14: Who's Yer Gamers Election Meeting – Wyndham West
   14: LOSSI astronomy presentation - Mooresville Public Library

   17: Kat Robertson's birthday

   18: Mike Wickliff's birthday

   19: Cheryl Miller Andrews's birthday
   19: Debbie Happli's birthday

   20-22: Anime Central - Rosemont, IL
   20-22: Nauticon - Provincetown, MA
   20-22: Yoi-Con - Columbus, OH

   21: CoJ Board Meeting - VMCC
   21: South Bend Comic Book Con - South Bend, IN

   22: Mars at Opposition

   26-29: MomoCon - Atlanta, GA
   26-29: NashCon - Franklin, TN
   26-29: Norfolk Anime Explosion - Norfolk, VA

   27: Lynn Ciurej's birthday
   27: Stephanie Hardcastle's birthday
   27: X-Men: Apocalypse
   27: Alice Through the Looking Glass
   27-29: Animazement - Raleigh, NC
   27-29: Anime North - Toronto, ON
   27-29: ConQuesT - Kansas City, MO
   27-29: Mobicon - Mobile, AL
   27-29: TimeGate - Atlanta, GA
   27-29: Vandalia-Con - Parkersburg, WV
   27-30: Balticon - Baltimore, MD
   27-30: MediaWest*Con - Lansing, MI
   27-30: Nexus Game Fair – Milwaukee, WI
   27-30: WisCon - Madison, WI

   28: Nathan Terhune's birthday
   28: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory
   28-29: Walker Stalker Con - Chicago, IL

   31: Katt McConnell's birthday

June 2016

   2: Laura Terhune's birthday
   2-5: Colossalcon - Sandusky, OH
   2-5: Wizard World - Philadelphia, PA

   3: Andy Andrews's birthday
   3: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the
Shadows
   3: Whoosier Network Mtg - LifeJourney Church
   3: Saturn at Opposition - Look, up in the sky!
   3-5: 2D Con - Bloomington, MN
   3-5: ConCarolinas - Concord, NC

   4: CoJ Meeting - VMCC
   4: Michelle Head Rhiannon's birthday
   4-5: Wonderfest - Louisville, KY

   5: Mercury at Greatest Western Elongation - Look, up in the sky!
   5: Ash Comic Book Show - Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conf Ctr

   8-14: ShowMeCon - St. Louis, MO

   10: Chuck Budreau's birthday
   10: The Conjuring 2
   10: Warcraft
   10-12: AnimeNEXT - Atlantic City, NJ
   10-12: Omg!Con – Owensboro, Ky
   10-12: Sausomecon - Kansas City, MO
   10-12: SciFi Summer Con - Atlanta, GA
   10-12: Sci-Fi Valley Con - Altoona, PA
   10-12: YetiCon - The Blue Mountains, ON

   11: Indy Pride - American Legion Mall

   12: CoJ Board Meeting - Marriott, 12-4 (This is a Sunday)
   12: IAC Meeting - Glendale Branch Library
   12: Tessa Greene's birthday
   12: David Lee Pancake's birthday

   13-14: ShowMeCon - St. Louis, MO

   17-19: 4th Street Fantasy Con - Minneapolis, MN
   17-19: Anime Mid-Atlantic - Chesapeake, VA
   17-19: Contamination - St. Louis, MO
   17-19: Hamacon - Huntsville, AL
   17-19: HeroesCon - Charlotte, NC
   17-19: Hypericon - Nashville, TN
   17-19: Indy PopCon - Indiana Convention Center
   17-19: Trekonderoga - Ticonderoga, NY

   18: Greg Dunn's birthday
   18: Riley McConnell's birthday
   18-19: Brickworld – Schaumburg, IL

   19: Katherine L. Locke's birthday
   19: Kevin Spencer's birthday
   19: Mike Suess's birthday

   23: Tom Smith's birthday

   24: Roxy Dragus's birthday
   24: Independence Day: Resurgence
   24-26: Days of the Dead - Wyndham Indianapolis West
   24-26: JAFAX - Grand Rapids, MI
   24-26: Locus Awards Weekend - Seattle WA

   25: IAS General Meeting - Link Observatory
   25-26: Con Kasterborous - Huntsville, AL
   25-26: Walker Stalker Con - Charlotte, NC

   26: Kevin Harris's birthday

   27: Reed Hartman's birthday

   30: Ian Albers's birthday
   30: Doug Rollison's birthday
   30-7/3: CONvergence - Bloomington, MN

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Fantastic Worlds: Science and Fiction, 1780-1910 is the first exhibition
to debut in the newly renovated Smithsonian Libraries Exhibition Gallery
in the National Museum of American History. Travel with us to the surface
of the moon, the center of the earth, and the depths of the ocean – to the
fantastic worlds of fiction inspired by 19th century discovery and
invention.
+ Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Washington DC, through
February 26, 2017
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

===================================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

April 2016
   Abercrombie, Joe • Sharp Ends • (Orbit US, cln, hc)
   Aiken, Joan • The People in the Castle • (Small Beer Press, cln, hc)
   Anderson, Kevin J., & John McGetridge, eds. • 2113 • (ECW Press, anth,
tpb)
   Armstrong, Kelley • Forest of Ruin • (HarperCollins, hc)
   Bear, Greg • The Complete Short Fiction of Greg Bear, Volume 1: Just
Over the Horizon • (Open Road, cln, tpb)
   Bear, Greg • The Complete Short Fiction of Greg Bear, Volume 2: Far
Thoughts and Pale Gods • (Open Road, cln, tpb)
   Bear, Greg • The Complete Short Fiction of Greg Bear, Volume 3: Beyond
the Farthest Suns • (Open Road, cln, tpb)
   Brennan, Marie • In the Labyrinth of Drakes • (Tor, hc)
   Burgis, Stephanie • Masks and Shadows • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Carey, M. R. • Fellside • (Orbit US, hc)
   Chappell, Fred • A Shadow All of Light • (Tor, hc)
   Cherryh, C. J. • Visitor • (DAW, hc)
   Chu, Wesley • The Days of Tao • (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Erikson, Steven • Fall of Light • (Tor, hc)
   Griep, Camille • New Charity Blues • (Amazon/47North, tpb)
   Guran, Paula, ed. • Street Magicks • (Prime Books, anth, tpb)
   Hearn, Lian • The Tale of Shikanoko, Vol. 1: Emperor of the Eight
Islands •(Macmillan/FSG Originals, tpb)
   Kadrey, Richard • The Everything Box • (Harper Voyager US, hc)
   Lackey, Mercedes, & Cody Martin • Silence • (Baen, hc)
   McGuire, Seanan • Every Heart a Doorway • (Tor. com, nva, hc)
   Milford, Kate • The Left-Handed Fate • (Macmillan/Holt, nvl-ya, hc)
   + Olde Heuvelt, Thomas • HEX • (Tor, hc)
   Wexler, Django • The Forbidden Library • (Penguin/Dawson, hc)
   Zinos-Amaro, Alvaro • Traveler of Worlds: Conversations with Robert
Silverberg • (Fairwood Press, nf, tpb)

May 2016
   Ashby, Madeline • Company Town • (Tor, hc)
   Asher, Neal • War Factory • (Skyhorse/Night Shade Books, hc)
   Brooks, Terry • The Sorcerer's Daughter • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Bujold, Lois Mcmaster • Penric's Demon • (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Coe, David B. • Shadow's Blade • (Baen, hc)
   DeLillo, Don • Zero K • (Simon & Schuster/Scribner, hc)
   + Esslemont, Ian C. • Dancer's Lament • (Tor, hc)
   Gaiman, Neil • The View from the Cheap Seats • (HarperCollins/Morrow,
nf, hc)
   + Guran, Paula, ed. • The Mammoth Book of Cthulhu • (Running Press,
anth, tpb)
   Hardinge, Frances • The Lie Tree • (Abrams/Amulet, nvl-ya, hc)
   Harris, Charlaine • Night Shift • (Ace, hc)
   Hill, Joe • The Fireman • (HarperCollins/Morrow, hc)
   Howard, Kat • Roses and Rot • (Simon & Schuster/Saga Press, nvl-ya, hc)
   Hurley, Kameron • The Geek Feminist Revolution • (Tor, nf, hc)
   Itäranta, Emmi • The Weaver • (Harper Voyager US, tpb)
   Jones, Stephen Graham • Mongrels • (HarperCollins/Morrow, hc)
   Kay, Guy Gavriel • Children of Earth and Sky • (Penguin/NAL, hc)
   Kearney, Paul • The Wolf in the Attic • (Rebellion/Solaris US, tpb)
   Lackey, Mercedes, ed. • Nebula Awards Showcase 2016 • (Prometheus/Pyr,
anth, tpb)
   Lockwood, Todd • The Summer Dragon • (DAW, hc)
   McCammon, Robert • Freedom of the Mask • (Subterranean Press, hc)
   McGuire, Seanan • Velveteen vs. The Seasons • (ISFiC Press, cln, hc)
   McKillip, Patricia A. • Dreams of Distant Shores • (Tachyon
Publications, cln, tpb)
   North, Claire • The Sudden Appearance of Hope • (Orbit US/Redhook, hc)
   Novik, Naomi • League of Dragons • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Oates, Joyce Carol • The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Horror
•(Grove/Atlantic/Mysterious, cln, hc)
   Palmer, Ada • Too Like the Lightning • (Tor, hc)
   Strahan, Jonathan, ed. • The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the Year
Volume Ten • (Rebellion/Solaris US, anth, tpb)
   Tidhar, Lavie • Central Station • (Tachyon Publications, tpb)
   Turtledove, Harry • The House of Daniel • (Tor, hc)
   Wilde, Fran • The Jewel and Her Lapidary • (Tor.com, nva, tpb)

===================================

April Meeting Agenda

 The Circle of Janus
 April 9, 2016

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests & member attendance
    March meeting minutes
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 36
    Convention Report, InConJunction 37
    Convention Report, InConJunction 38
    Board Report
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Archivist
       Audit Committee
       Member Services Report
       Outreach Coordinator
       Quartermaster
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Club Funds
    Member Cards
    Bylaws Changes
    Reincorporation
 New Business
    Activities
       April Non-meeting
          Naptown Roller Girls, April 2 and April 16
       May Post-Meeting
          Kat's gaming and coloring party and pitch-in
       May Non-meeting
          Anything?
       June Post-Meeting
          Anything?
 Announcements
 Close of meeting – Chaos

===================================

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus is on Saturday, April 9, 2016,
at Valley Mills Christian Church, 5555 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis,
IN, starting at 7:00 pm. There is a Convention Committee meeting
preceding it at 5:30 pm.

Officers
   Board Chairman – Andy Andrews
   President – Melissa Kocias
   Vice-President – Jeremy Hanna
   Secretary – Lynette Cowper
   Treasurer – Jeremy Murray
   Sergeant at Arms – Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 36 ConChair – Laura Edwards
   InConJunction 37 ConChair – Joe Greene
   InConJunction 38 ConChair – Beckie Margedant

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor