[CircularOfJanus] October Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Fri Oct 5 17:20:04 EDT 2012

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 September 26, 2012
 Volume 33, Issue 10

Contents:
   President's Reflections - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the August Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the September Board Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Suggested Bylaws Changes from the Bylaws Caucus
   October Meeting Agenda
   Mark Your Calendars
   New Books - from Locus
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

**************************

President's Reflections
 by Lynette Cowper

It's election time again! While the election on the national stage
certainly deserves our attention and consideration, the people we place
into leadership locally and in the organizations to which we belong can be
equally important to our own well-being and happiness. I'd like to
encourage all CoJ members and those considering membership to take some
time to think about the people they'd like to see representing their
interests in the club. Club office is both an honor and a responsibility,
requiring time, passion, and a willingness and ability to work with others
whose ideas, interests, and personalities may be considerably different.

I'd like to take a moment to specifically mention Kathie Thompson, whose
term expired at the end of September, for her hard work and dedication in
making this past year's InConJunction such a success. Thank you, Kathie!

And, finally, I'd like to remind everyone to bring a book (or several) to
the next meeting to share. Be sure to put your name in it if you want it
back. Otherwise, it'll just go into the “Circulating Library of Janus”.

Thanks, all. I hope to see everyone at the meeting!

**************************

Summary of the August Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on August 4. All the officers except InConJunction 32
ConChair Kathie Thompson were in attendance. We had a couple guests and
new members-- Kevin Harris (new member); Bob and Kim Richey (planning to
join soon); Mark Shidler (longtime member, who just rejoined).

After the June Minutes and Treasurer's report, Kathie relayed a convention
report by phone through Andy Andrews, saying it went pretty well except
for some communication problems, and thanking Jeff Thompson for going
above and beyond. Mel filled us in on InConJunction 33. Cherie Priest is
author GoH, the theme is "Strange New World", and she is anxious to hear
ideas in person or via email. She is in the process of finalizing her
ConCom. Drew didn't have much to report yet for InConJunction 34, but is
planning to talk to potential GoHs at Gen Con.

There was a brief Board report going over the published minutes and a
reminder that the Bylaws Caucus was on September 15, at the Marriott.
Laura reminded us about Pagan Pride.

We moved to Old Business. Lynette had member cards. We went over some
items to be more thoroughly discussed at the Bylaws Caucus.

In New Business, Lynette named Ricky Lile to the position of CoJ
Quartermaster, but mentioned the convention also needs one, so we have two
people with keys. As Vice President Kyra Shidler submitted her
resignation, John Belden was appointed to fill the rest of her term.

We need a new meeting location as LifeJourney is stepping up its own
church events. We set up a committee of Tracey Rollison, Kat Robertson,
Ricky Lile, and Drew Happli to look into other venues. These need to be:
Inexpensive ($50/month or less); able to schedule/confirm dates a year in
advance; on a bus line if possible; open to us bringing in our own food;
available later into the evening (5-11); relatively central;
handicapped-accessible; with free parking. Pet-friendly would be a plus.

We moved to announcements and that was it!

**************************

Summary of the September Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met at the Marriott on the 15th. All the officers except
InConJunction 34 Chair Drew Happli were present. Also present were Mike
Cowper, Jeff Thompson, Cat (Davis) Raquet, Wendy Carson, and Kat
Robertson.

We went through the Treasurer's report and a lengthy wrap-up of
InConJunction 32. We then briefly discussed the budget for InConJunction
33.

After that, we moved into the Bylaws Caucus portion of the meeting.

There were discussions of who could attend Board meetings and whether
friends of the club or convention who are not club members can attend and
how permission, if needed, would be obtained. A Bylaws change was worked
out (covered below).

There was then a discussion of whether the Bylaws need to cover members
re-upping during the year and how that affect eligibility to run for
office. Looking through the Bylaws, we found they already talk about a
12-month time limit of not paying dues before you become a "new member",
even if you've previously been a member of the club. Andy will explain at
the next club meeting how the Bylaws already cover this issue.

The election date change was discussed, especially in relation to our
fiscal year and the loss of a Board member (the current year's ConChair)
at the end of September. The other issue, weather in January, is
ameliorated by the option to vote absentee via phone. Alternatives to an
election date change were worked out that we think are better (covered
below).

We covered reverting to ConChair being open for nominations just like all
of the other offices. As it was changed because it used to be the last
position voted on, leading people desperate to get onto the Board to run
at the last minute, we weren't sure the extra rules were necessary
anymore. A change to the Bylaws was worked out (covered below).

We then discussed how much supervision of the con by the Board is
necessary and what the Bylaws should cover. We concluded this is an
ongoing process that we weren't prepared to set in stone, but that members
of the ConCom need to know that they can report to the Board if they're
having a problem with the ConChair.

We discussed appointed positions such as Webmaster and Quartermaster and
whether they need to be in the Bylaws. It was decided not, but some of
these positions (especially anything related to both the club and the con,
such as Webmaster) should probably be Board appointments.

And that was it!

**************************

Suggested Bylaws Changes from the Bylaws Caucus

Issue Addressed: Who Can Attend Meetings

   Amend Paragraph 1 (Meetings): "These meetings are open to the general
public."

   Amend Paragraph 5 (Board of Directors), Section C: "Only dues-paying
members of the Club may attend."

   Add Section 5C2: "Non-members of the Club may attend at the invitation
of a Board member."

   Add Section 5C3: "The Board reserves the right to enter into an
executive session, excluding all non-Board members from that portion of
the meeting."

   Add Section 5C4: "By a majority vote, the Board may make exceptions to
Paragraph 5C, inclusive of its subsections, on a case-by-case basis."

Issue Addressed: Fiscal Year vs. Treasurer's Term

   Add to Paragraph 4F: The duties of the Club Treasurer shall be to
maintain the funds of the Club and to report on them at each regular
meeting, to collect all debts, pay all bills, and keep all accounts of
the Club ", and prepare and file taxes before the end of their term."

Issue Addressed: Extending the ConChair Term

   Amend Paragraph 4H: "The term of the Convention Chairman shall expire
at the end of the election meeting following their convention. The
Convention Chairman shall be expected to have all business concluded at
the end of the fiscal year in which their convention took place."

   Amend 4A: "Club Officers are Chairman of the Board, President,
Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Sergeant-at-Arms, and sitting
Convention Chairmen."

   6A: Remove last sentence, "The Convention Chairman shall hold his term
of office from the close of the first calendar meeting through
September 30th following the Convention for which that Chairman is
responsible."

Issue Addressed: Reverting ConChair Nomination Closing to January

   Amend 6F: "Nominations shall be opened at the October meeting, and a
list of those candidates nominated will be published in the newsletter
the months before the election. Nominations for Club offices shall be
accepted up until the voting takes place during the first business
meeting of the year."

**************************

October Meeting Agenda

The Circle of Janus
 October Meeting
 October 6, 2012

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests, officer & member attendance, and passing out
any reports or other paperwork
 Communications
    August meeting minutes
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, final InConJunction 32
    Convention Report, InConJunction 33
    Convention Report, InConJunction 34
    Board Report
    Member Activities Report
       Scheduled Speakers or activities so far
          Meetings
             November - Procrastinator's Halloween Party
             December - CoJ Anniversary Party
          Non-Meetings
             October
             November
             December
    Outreach - Pagan Pride
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Meeting Locations
    Others as needed
 New Business
    Bylaws Caucus and Suggested Changes to the Bylaws
    Opening Nominations
       InConJunction 35 ConChair
       Chairman of the Board
       President
       Vice-President
       Secretary
       Treasurer
       Sergeant-at-Arms
    Others as needed
 Announcements
    One per person, please
 Close of meeting – Chaos

**************************

Mark Your Calendars

October 2012:

   5: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   5: Frankenweenie
   5-7: Gaylaxicon - Minneapolis, MN
   5-7: Octopodicon - Oklahoma City, OK

   6: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6: Sukoshicon: Mobile - Mobile, AL

   7-8: Draconids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   11: Sinister
   11-14: Con on the Cob - Hudson, OH
   11-14: New York ComiCon - New York, New York

   12: Pam Easterday's birthday
   12: Atlas Shrugged Part II
   12-14: Archon - St. Louis, MO
   12-14: Banzaicon - Columbia, SC
   12-14: Capclave - Gaithersburg, MD
   12-14: Con†Stellation - Huntsville, AL
   12-14: Tsubasacon - Huntington, WV

   13: IAS Meeting - Link Observatory

   14: Tony Patterson's birthday
   14: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   18: Anjala Dick's birthday
   18: Paranormal Activity 4
   18-21: Albacon - Albany NY

   19: Paul Vincenti's birthday
   19-21: Anime Fusion - Bloomington, MN
   19-21: Arcana - St. Paul, MN
   19-21: Conjecture - Bloomington, MN
   19-21: Encounters - Wichita, KS

   20: Dave Spicer's birthday
   20-21: Parker Banner Kent & Wayne Mini-Con - Cornelius, NC
   20-23: Orionids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   21: CoJ Board meeting, 6pm - Skype

   23: Emily Rodgers's birthday

   25-28: CSICon Nashville2 - Nashville, TN

   26: Kai Cowper's birthday
   26: Cloud Atlas
   26: Silent Hill: Revelation 3D
   26-27: Erie Days of Games - Erie, Pennsylvania
   26-28: Geek Media Expo (GMX) Vol. 4 - Nashville, TN
   26-28: Necronomicon 2012 - St. Petersburg, Fl

   27: Charissa Bihl Spencer's birthday
   27: CTRL-A 20th Anniversary Celebration - Waterloo, Ontario

   28: Ash Comics show - Ramada Inn on E 21st St

   30: Joe Greene's birthday

November 2012:

   1-4: World Fantasy Convention - Toronto, ON
   1-4: Youmacon - Detroit, MI

   2: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   2-4: Icon - Cedar Rapids, Iowa
   2-4: Nekocon - Hampton, Virginia
   2-4: MACE 2012 - Charlotte, NC

   3: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
   3: UB MiniCon XII - Amherst, NY

   5: Andrew Looney's birthday

   9-11: Anime Blast Chattanooga - Chattanooga, TN
   9-11: Anime USA - Washington, DC
   9-11: SFContario - Toronto, ON
   9-11: Windy Con 39 - Lombard, Illinois
   9-12: Philcon - Philadelphia, PA

   10: IAS Meeting - Holcomb Observatory
   10: Hama-Con Mini-con - Huntsville, AL

   11: Steven Marsh's birthday
   11: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   15: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2

   16-18: Leonids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!
   16-17: Nerdacon - Columbus, GA
   16-18: AetherCon Online RPG Convention - Online
   16-18: Daisho Con - Wisconsin Dells, WI
   16-18: KuroKiiro Festival - Pittsburgh, PA
   16-18: Naru 2 U - Ottawa, Ontario
   16-18: SugoiCon - Ft. Mitchell, KY

   17: CoJ Board meeting - VMCC
   17: TerpCon XVII - College Park, Maryland

   21: Rise of the Guardians

   23-25: Chambanacon - Urbana, IL
   23-25: Kollision Con - St. Charles, IL
   23-25: Starbase Indy - Indianapolis Marriott East

   24: Atlanta Anime Day - Atlanta, GA

   28: Mary Bischoff's birthday

   30-12/2: Smofcon - Philadelphia, PA

December 2012:

   1: CoJ Anniversary Party - LifeJourney Church

   2: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   4: Crystal Wolf's birthday

   7: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   7-9: Anime Crossroads - Indianapolis Marriott East

   8-9: Yama-Con - Pigeon Forge, TN

   12: Wendy Carson's birthday
   12-14: Geminid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   13: Laura Edwards's birthday

   14: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

   16: George Starkey's birthday
   16-23: The Great 2012 NOT the End of the World Cruise - Leaving from
Miami, FL

   19: Monsters, Inc. 3D

   21-23: Anime Apocalypse - Rockford, IL
   21-23: Anime Punch: Armageddicon - Columbus, OH

   23: Gordon Huxford's birthday

   30: Ash Comics show - Ramada Inn on E 21st St

**************************

New Books
 From locusmag.com

October 2012
   Abercrombie, Joe • Red Country • (Orbit US, hc)
   + Banks, Iain • Stonemouth • (Pegasus, hc)
   Banks, Iain M. • The Hydrogen Sonata • (Orbit US, hc)
   Barnhill, Kelly • Iron Hearted Violet • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya, hc)
   Benford, Gregory, & Larry Niven • Bowl of Heaven • (Tor, hc)
   Bennett, Christopher • Only Superhuman • (Tor, hc)
   Block, Francesca Lia • The Elemental • (St. Martin's, hc)
   Buehlman, Christopher • Between Two Fires • (Ace, hc)
   Carey, Jacqueline • Dark Currents • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Datlow, Ellen, & Terri Windling, eds. • After • (Disney/Hyperion, anth,
hc)
   Doctorow, Cory • Pirate Cinema • (Tor Teen, nvl-ya, hc)
   Fenner, Cathy, & Arnie Fenner, eds. • Spectrum 19: The Best in
Contemporary Fantastic Art • (Underwood Books, art, hc)
   + Fforde, Jasper • The Last Dragonslayer • (Houghton Mifflin
Harcourt/Harcourt, nvl-ya, hc)
   Grant, Mira • When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World •
(Subterranean Press, cln, hc)
   Guran, Paula, ed. • Rock On: The Greatest Science Fiction & Fantasy
Hits • (Prime Books, anth, tpb)
   Harrison, Kim • Into the Woods • (Harper Voyager, cln, hc)
   Hirschberg, Glen • Motherless Child • (Earthling Publications, hc)
   Jones, Stephen, ed. • The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror: 23 •
(Running Press, anth, tpb)
   Kilpatrick, Nancy, ed. • Danse Macabre: Close Encounters with the
Reaper • (Hades/EDGE Science Fiction and Fantasy, anth, tpb)
   Kilpatrick, Nancy, ed. • Vampyric Variations • (Hades/EDGE Science
Fiction and Fantasy, tpb)
   Lackey, Mercedes • Redoubt • (DAW, hc)
   Lee, Tanith • Space Is Just a Starry Night • (Aqueduct Press, cln, tpb)
   Lovegrove, James • Redlaw: Red Eye • (Rebellion/Solaris US)
   McKillip, Patricia A. • Wonders of the Invisible World • (Tachyon
Publications, cln, tpb)
   Mosley, Walter • Merge/Disciple • (Tor, cln, hc)
   Murphy, C. E. • Baba Yaga's Daughter and Other Tales • (Subterranean
Press, hc)
   Rajaniemi, Hannu • The Fractal Prince • (Tor, hc)
   Smith, Sherwood • Revenant Eve • (DAW, hc)
   Valente, Catherynne M. • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led
the Revels There • (Macmillan/Feiwel and Friends, nvl-ya, hc)
   Weber, David, & Jane Lindskold • Fire Season • (Baen, nvl-ya, hc)
   Williams, Walter Jon • The Boolean Gate • (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Wolfe, Gary K., ed. • American Science Fiction: Volume 1: 1953-1956 •
(Library of America, anth, hc)
   Wolfe, Gary K., ed. • American Science Fiction: Volume 2: 1956-1958 •
(Library of America, anth, hc)

November 2012
   Adams, John Joseph, ed. • Epic • (Tachyon Publications, anth, tpb)
   + Baxter, Stephen • Bronze Summer • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Bear, Elizabeth • Shoggoths in Bloom • (Prime Books, cln, tpb)
   + Bray, Libba • The Diviners • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya, hc)
   Brom • Krampus: The Yule Lord • (Harper Voyager US, hc)
   Bujold, Lois Mcmaster • Captain Vorpatril's Alliance • (Baen, hc)
   Card, Orson Scott • Ruins • (Simon Pulse, nvl-ya, hc)
   Cooper, Brenda • The Creative Fire • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Gilman, Felix • The Rise of Ransom City • (Tor, hc)
   Hand, Elizabeth • Errantry • (Small Beer Press, cln, tpb)
   Huff, Tanya • The Silvered • (DAW, hc)
   Hurley, Kameron • Rapture • (Night Shade Books, tpb)
   Koontz, Dean • The Moonlit Mind • (Charnel House, nva, hc)
   Kress, Nancy • Flash Point • (Penguin/Viking, nvl-ya, hc)
   Lackey, Mercedes, & James Mallory • Crown of Vengeance • (Tor, hc)
   Lake, Jay • Love in the Time of Metal and Flesh • (Prime Books, hc)
   Le Guin, Ursula K. • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume
Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands • (Small Beer Press, cln, hc)
   Marillier, Juliet • Flame of Sevenwaters • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   McDevitt, Jack, & Mike Resnick • The Cassandra Project • (Ace, hc)
   McGuire, Seanan • Velveteen vs. Existence • (ISFiC Press, cln, hc)
   Priest, Cherie • The Inexplicables • (Tor, tpb)
   + Reeve, Philip • Scrivener's Moon • (Scholastic, nvl-ya, hc)
   Sanderson, Brandon • The Emperor's Soul • (Tachyon Publications, tpb)
   Shearman, Robert • Remember Why You Fear Me • (ChiZine Publications,
hc/tpb)
   Shinn, Sharon • Still Life With Shapeshifter • (Ace, hc)
   Steele, Allen • Apollo's Outcasts • (Prometheus/Pyr, nvl-ya, hc)
   Taylor, Laini • Days of Blood and Starlight • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya, hc)
   Van Pelt, James • Flying in the Heart of the Lafayette Escadrille and
Other Stories • (Fairwood Press, cln, tpb)
   Yolen, Jane • Curse of the Thirteenth Fey • (Penguin/Philomel, nvl-ya, hc)

**************************

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus will be Saturday, October 6,
2012, at the LifeJourney Church, 2950 55th Place, Indianapolis, IN,
starting at 7:00 pm. There is a ConCom meeting preceding it from 5:30
to 6:45.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Lynette Cowper
   Vice-President - John Belden
   Secretary - Laura Edwards
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo