[CircularOfJanus] November 2012 Circular of Janus

Lynette R. F. Cowper lcowper at prismnet.com
Mon Oct 29 22:45:39 EDT 2012

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 October 27, 2012
 Volume 33, Issue 11

Contents:
   President's Reflections - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the October Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Summary of the October Board Meeting - Lynette R. F. Cowper
   Bylaws Changes to Be Voted On
   Candidates for Office
   Mark Your Calendars
   New Books - from Locus
   November Meeting Agenda
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

**************************

President's Reflections
 by Lynette Cowper

We're fast approaching the end of the year. The November meeting will be
our last business meeting of the year, since the December meeting is our
anniversary party.

I'd like to thank all the folks who pitched in and made this year great
for the club by hosting or organizing events, volunteering at our booths,
and securing our meeting spaces. This club is a group effort and I
appreciate the time spent by each person.

This meeting, we will be voting on significant changes to the Bylaws and
also nominating club officers for next year. Don't miss out! After the
meeting, we will be having our traditional Procrastinator's Halloween
Party. Come in costume! There will be prizes. See you all at the meeting!

**************************

Summary of the October Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on October 6. All the officers except InConJunction 34
ConChair Andrew Happli were in attendance. We had a couple guests--
Adrian, who is a friend of Kai's; and John, who found us via the website.
We opened at 7:06.

After the September Minutes and Treasurer's report, Mel filled us in on
InConJunction 33. Five Year Mission will be our music GoH and
InConJunction will be the official launch of their Year 3 album. She is
taking suggestions for Artist GoH, Toastmaster. Some positions open on
ConCom. Programming will be ready to start taking panel suggestions soon.
Drew wasn't present to report on InConJunction 34. Andy gave a brief Board
report.

Laura reported on Pagan Pride, which went well other than the loss of our
trifold display to the winds. We discussed plans for the November
meeting's Procrastinators' Halloween Party and the December Anniversary
Party.

In Old Business, we went over the new meeting location search. We moved on
to New Business and went over the suggested Bylaws changes, all of which
were moved to be voted on in November (included separately). We then moved
on to officer nominations, which are listed below. Keep in mind that
nominations are open via email for any member that wishes to do so. You do
not have to be present to nominate, second, or accept a nomination. We had
some announcements and then declared chaos at  8:17 p.m.

**************************

Summary of the October Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met via Skype on the 21st, starting at 6:13. All officers were
present. No one else was in attendance.

We went through the September minutes and the Treasurer's report and a
quick wrap-up of InConJunction 32. We then discussed InConJunction 33 and
34 briefly. We talked about the email from the Georgetown Cinema and that
Lynette would be including it in a list of events to email to the club.

We went over meeting dates for next year, checking for conflicts with New
Year's Day, Easter weekend, Gen Con, Whosyercon, and Anime Crossroads.
None are on the first Saturday, so we can just plan on that for the entire
year. We talked meeting places a bit and decided in order to not make
people try to find a new place in January for the elections, we'd meet at
LifeJourney. We discussed the anniversary party and getting Vice-President
supplies from the Shidlers to John.

We covered some ideas with email and setting up a separate email server
for various club and convention positions, so if a new person took over a
position, they could more quickly get up to speed. Drew will get to work
on that.

We adjourned at 6:59 p.m.

**************************

Proposed Bylaws Changes

Issue Addressed: Who Can Attend Meetings

   Amend Paragraph 1 (Meetings): "These meetings are open to the general
public."

   Amend Paragraph 5 (Board of Directors), Section C: "Only dues-paying
members of the Club may attend."

   Add Section 5C2: "Non-members of the Club may attend at the invitation
of a Board member."

   Add Section 5C3: "The Board reserves the right to enter into an
executive session, excluding all non-Board members from that portion of
the meeting."

   Add Section 5C4: "By a majority vote, the Board may make exceptions to
Paragraph 5C, inclusive of its subsections, on a case-by-case basis."

Issue Addressed: Fiscal Year vs. Treasurer's Term

   Add to Paragraph 4F: The duties of the Club Treasurer shall be to
maintain the funds of the Club and to report on them at each regular
meeting, to collect all debts, pay all bills, and keep all accounts of
the Club ", and prepare and file taxes before the end of their term."

Issue Addressed: Extending the ConChair Term

   Amend Paragraph 4H: "The term of the Convention Chairman shall expire
at the end of the election meeting following their convention. The
Convention Chairman shall be expected to have all business concluded at
the end of the fiscal year in which their convention took place."

   Amend 4A: "Club Officers are Chairman of the Board, President,
Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Sergeant-at-Arms, and sitting
Convention Chairmen."

   6A: Remove last sentence, "The Convention Chairman shall hold his term
of office from the close of the first calendar meeting through
September 30th following the Convention for which that Chairman is
responsible."

Issue Addressed: Reverting ConChair Nomination Closing to January

   Amend 6F: "Nominations shall be opened at the October meeting, and a
list of those candidates nominated will be published in the newsletter
the months before the election. Nominations for Club offices shall be
accepted up until the voting takes place during the first business
meeting of the year."

**************************

Nominations for Club Office

ConChair 2015:
   Kat Robertson, nominated by Andy/Kent (accepted)

Chairman of the Board: (2 years)
   Andy Andrews, nominated by Kat/Mike (accepted)
   Mike Cowper, nominated by Melissa/Tracey (maybe)

President:
   Lynette Cowper, nominated by Cheryl/Kai (accepted)
   Chris Canary, nominated by John B./Melissa (accepted tentatively)
   Kat Robertson, nominated by Kat/Lynette (accepted)

Vice President:
   John Belden, nominated by Anjala/Melissa (accepted)
   Ricky Lile, nominated by Kat/Beckie (accepted)
   Joe Greene, nominated by Chris/Melissa (not present to accept or decline)

Secretary:
   Cat (Davis) Raquet, nominated by Kat R./Kevin (maybe)
   Kai Cowper, nominated by Lynette/Tracey (accepted)

Treasurer:
   Kent Raquet, nominated by Melissa/Mike (accepted)
   Anjala Dick, nominated by Tracey/Laura (declined)

Sergeant-At-Arms:
   Tracey Rollison, nominated by Chris/Andy (accepted)
   Laura Edwards, nominated by Kat/Mike (accepted)
   Joe Greene, nominated by John/Kai (not present to accept or decline)
   Ricky Lile, nominated by Andy/Lynette (accepted)
   John Belden, nominated by Kat/Kent (accepted)

**************************

Mark Your Calendars

Tuesday, Oct 30:
   Georgetown Digital Cinemas is presenting a special 1-night, 1-showing
only of a new mockumentary War Of The Worlds: The True Story on Tuesday
evening, October 30 at 7:00 P.M. If you identify yourself as a member
of the Circle Of Janus, you will receive a free medium popcorn!

Through Nov 10:
   Alien Dinner Party: This full-out farce is about an unsuspecting,
middle-aged married couple, from Anytown, USA, invited to dinner by the
wildly attractive, mysterious new neighbors everyone is talking about.
As it turns out, the newcomers are literally "out of this world!" They
are aliens sent to learn not only about human longings for food, but
their moral, mental and sexual appetites as well! Great physical comedy
ensues. Theatre on the Square, $20.00 - $25.00.

November 2012:

 1-4: World Fantasy Convention - Toronto, ON
 1-4: Youmacon - Detroit, MI

 2: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
 2-4: Fall in! - Lancaster, PA
 2-4: Icon - Cedar Rapids, Iowa
 2-4: Nekocon - Hampton, Virginia
 2-4: MACE 2012 - Charlotte, NC

 3: CoJ Meeting - LifeJourney Church
 3: UB MiniCon XII - Amherst, NY

 5: Andrew Looney's birthday

Tuesday, November 6:
   Games through the Ages: Bring family and friends to explore games from
the past and present. Board games, historic toys, and 19th-century
party games are sure to delight all ages. At 7 p.m., discover the fun
and importance of play for adults from Terry Zoubal, active older adult
coordinator at the Benjamin Harrison YMCA. For ages 10 and up. 6:00 PM
to 8:30 PM, Conner Prairie, free. Register at:
http://www.spiritandplace.org/Festival.aspx?access=Events

 7: Indy Knights General Meeting - The Athenaeum

Thursday, Nov 8:
   IUPUI Professor Jonathan Eller to give public lecture on Ray Bradbury,
Thursday, November 8, 2012 at IUPUI. Free but seating is limited. See:
http://liberalarts.iupui.edu/barlowlecture/ for more info.

 9-11: Anime Blast Chattanooga - Chattanooga, TN
 9-11: Anime USA - Washington, DC
 9-11: Izumicon - Oklahoma City, OK
 9-11: Mepacon - Clarks Summit, PA
 9-11: OmegaCon - Siren, WI
 9-11: PentaCon - Ft. Wayne, IN
 9-11: SFContario - Toronto, ON
 9-11: WindyCon - Lombard, Illinois
 9-12: Philcon - Philadelphia, PA

Saturday, November 10:
   Live the Game; A Spirit & Place Festival Event: Games are one of the
best ways to bring people together. Using the park itself as a giant
game table, the GPAC and its partners will create life-sized board
games, playground games, and more-- where YOU are the game pieces. 9:00
AM to 4:00 PM, Garfield Park, free. Register at:
http://www.spiritandplace.org/Festival.aspx?access=Events

 10: IAS Meeting - Holcomb Observatory
 10: Hama-Con Mini-con - Huntsville, AL

 11: Steven Marsh's birthday
 11: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

 15: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
 15-18: ShaunCon - Kansas City, KS

 16-18: Leonids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!
 16-17: Nerdacon - Columbus, GA
 16-18: Midwest Furfest - Rosemont, IL
 16-18: N2U Anime & Gaming Convention - Ottawa, ON
 16-18: AetherCon Online RPG Convention - Online
 16-18: Daisho Con - Wisconsin Dells, WI
 16-18: KuroKiiro Festival - Pittsburgh, PA
 16-18: Naru 2 U - Ottawa, Ontario
 16-18: SugoiCon - Ft. Mitchell, KY

 17: CoJ Board meeting - VMCC
 17: TerpCon XVII - College Park, Maryland

 21: Rise of the Guardians

 23-25: Chambanacon - Urbana, IL
 23-25: Chicago TARDIS - Chicago, IL
 23-25: Darkover - Timonium, MD
 23-25: Kollision Con - St. Charles, IL
 23-25: Starbase Indy - Indianapolis Marriott East
 23-25: WolfCon - Chicago, IL

 24: Atlanta Anime Day - Atlanta, GA

 28: Mary Bischoff's birthday

 30-12/2: Smofcon - Philadelphia, PA

December 2012:

 1: CoJ Anniversary Party - LifeJourney Church

 2: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

 4: Crystal Wolf's birthday

 5: Indy Knights General Meeting - The Athenaeum

 7: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
 7-9: Anime Crossroads - Indianapolis Marriott East

 8-9: Yama-Con - Pigeon Forge, TN

 12: Wendy Carson's birthday
 12-14: Geminid Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

 13: Laura Edwards's birthday

 14: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

 16: George Starkey's birthday
 16-23: The Great 2012 NOT the End of the World Cruise - Leaving from
Miami, FL

 19: Monsters, Inc. 3D

 21-23: Anime Apocalypse - Rockford, IL
 21-23: Anime Punch: Armageddicon - Columbus, OH

 23: Gordon Huxford's birthday

 30: Ash Comics show - Ramada Inn on E 21st St

January 2013

 2: Indy Knights General Meeting - The Athenaeum

 4: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
 4: Texas Chainsaw 3D
 4-5: ShadowCon - Memphis, TN
 4-6: Anime-Zap! - Peoria, IL
 4-6: Ichibancon - Charlotte, NC

 5: CoJ Meeting and Elections - LifeJourney Church

 11: A Haunted House
 11-13: Ahn!Con - Kansas City, MO
 11-13: GAFilk - Atlanta, GA

 12: KotoriCon - Sewell, NJ

 18: Mama
 18-20: ConFusion - Dearborn, MI
 18-20: DeCONPression - Worthington, OH
 18-20: MarsCon - Williamsburg, VA
 18-20: Ohayocon - Columbus, OH
 18-21: Arisia - Boston, MA
 18-21: SCARAB - Columbia, SC

 19: Anime Blues Winterfest Remix - Memphis, TN

 25:  Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
 25-27: Chattacon - Chattanooga, TN
 25-27: G-Anime - Gatineau, Quebec

 26-27: Setsucon - State College, PA

**************************

New Books
 From locusmag.com

November 2012
   Adams, John Joseph, ed. • Epic • (Tachyon Publications, anth, tpb)
   + Baxter, Stephen • Bronze Summer • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Bear, Elizabeth • Shoggoths in Bloom • (Prime Books, cln, tpb)
   + Bray, Libba • The Diviners • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya, hc)
   Brom • Krampus: The Yule Lord • (Harper Voyager US, hc)
   Bujold, Lois Mcmaster • Captain Vorpatril's Alliance • (Baen, hc)
   Card, Orson Scott • Ruins • (Simon Pulse, nvl-ya, hc)
   Cooper, Brenda • The Creative Fire • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Gilman, Felix • The Rise of Ransom City • (Tor, hc)
   Hand, Elizabeth • Errantry • (Small Beer Press, cln, tpb)
   Huff, Tanya • The Silvered • (DAW, hc)
   Hurley, Kameron • Rapture • (Night Shade Books, tpb)
   Koontz, Dean • The Moonlit Mind • (Charnel House, nva, hc)
   Kress, Nancy • Flash Point • (Penguin/Viking, nvl-ya, hc)
   Lackey, Mercedes, & James Mallory • Crown of Vengeance • (Tor, hc)
   Lake, Jay • Love in the Time of Metal and Flesh • (Prime Books, hc)
   Le Guin, Ursula K. • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume
Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands • (Small Beer Press, cln, hc)
   Marillier, Juliet • Flame of Sevenwaters • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   McDevitt, Jack, & Mike Resnick • The Cassandra Project • (Ace, hc)
   McGuire, Seanan • Velveteen vs. Existence • (ISFiC Press, cln, hc)
   Priest, Cherie • The Inexplicables • (Tor, tpb)
   + Reeve, Philip • Scrivener's Moon • (Scholastic, nvl-ya, hc)
   Sanderson, Brandon • The Emperor's Soul • (Tachyon Publications, tpb)
   Shearman, Robert • Remember Why You Fear Me • (ChiZine Publications,
hc/tpb)
   Shinn, Sharon • Still Life With Shapeshifter • (Ace, hc)
   Steele, Allen • Apollo's Outcasts • (Prometheus/Pyr, nvl-ya, hc)
   Taylor, Laini • Days of Blood and Starlight • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya, hc)
   Van Pelt, James • Flying in the Heart of the Lafayette Escadrille and
Other Stories • (Fairwood Press, cln, tpb)
   Yolen, Jane • Curse of the Thirteenth Fey • (Penguin/Philomel, nvl-ya, hc)

December 2012
   Andrews, Ilona • Steel's Edge • (Ace)
   Armstrong, Kelley • Forbidden • (Subterranean Press, nva, hc)
   Baker, Kage • Nell Gwynne's on Land and at Sea • (Subterranean Press,
nva, hc)
   Butcher, Jim • Cold Days • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Dietz, William C. • Andromeda's Fall • (Ace, hc)
   Foster, Alan Dean • The Sum of Her Parts • (Ballantine Del Rey, tpb)
   Hearne, Kevin • Trapped • (Ballantine Del Rey)
   + Herbert, James • Ash • (Tor, hc)
   Hoyt, Sarah A. • Darkship Renegade • (Baen, hc)
   Le Guin, Ursula K. • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume
One: Where on Earth • (Small Beer Press, cln, hc)
   Mckenna, Juliet E. • Defiant Peaks • (Rebellion/Solaris US)
   Resnick, Mike • The Doctor and the Rough Rider • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Sedia, Ekaterina • Moscow But Dreaming • (Prime Books, cln, tpb)
   Strahan, Jonathan, ed. • Edge of Infinity • (Rebellion/Solaris US)
   Turtledove, Harry • Supervolcano: All Fall Down • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   VanderMeer, Ann, ed. • Steampunk Revolution • (Tachyon Publications, tpb)
   Wells, Martha • The Siren Depths • (Night Shade Books, tpb)

**************************

November Meeting Agenda

The Circle of Janus
 November Meeting
 November 3, 2012

Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
   Introduction of guests, officer & member attendance, and passing out
any reports or other paperwork
Communications
   October meeting minutes
   Treasurer's Report
   Convention Report, InConJunction 33
   Convention Report, InConJunction 34
   Board Report
   Member Activities Report
      Scheduled Speakers or activities so far
         Meetings
            November - Procrastinator's Halloween Party
            December - CoJ Anniversary Party
         Non-Meetings
            November
            December
   Other Communications
Old Business
   Meeting Locations
   Bylaws Changes
   Nominations
      InConJunction 35 ConChair
      Chairman of the Board
      President
      Vice-President
      Secretary
      Treasurer
      Sergeant-at-Arms
   Others as needed
New Business
   As needed
Announcements
   One per person, please
Close of meeting – Chaos

**************************

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus will be Saturday, November 3,
2012, at the LifeJourney Church, 2950 55th Place, Indianapolis, IN,
starting at 7:00 pm. There is a ConCom meeting preceding it from 5:30
to 6:45.

Officers
   Board Chairman - Andy Andrews
   President - Lynette Cowper
   Vice-President - John Belden
   Secretary - Laura Edwards
   Treasurer - Kent Raquet
   Sergeant at Arms - Ricky Lile
   InConJunction 33 ConChair - Melissa Kocias
   InConJunction 34 ConChair - Andrew Happli

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper, Editor

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo