[CircularOfJanus] January 2015 Circular of Janus

circleofjanusnewsletter at lists.inconjunction.org circleofjanusnewsletter at lists.inconjunction.org
Fri Jan 2 01:41:43 EST 2015

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 January 2015
 Volume 36, Issue 1

Contents:
   Summary of the November Club Meeting – Lynette Cowper
   Summary of the November Board Meeting – Lynette Cowper
   Current Nominations for Office – Lynette Cowper
   Recommendations of the Bylaws Caucus – Beckie Margedant
   The Latest Awards
   New Books – from Locus
   Mark Your Calendars
   Meeting Agenda
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

===================================

Summary of the November Club Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on November 1st at VMCC. All officers were there except Drew
Happli and Jeff Thompson. We had several guests: Larry's brother, Judy who
was there as Anjala's guest , Steve Mallat, Ashley and Allie, and Lydia.
The October minutes were approved as corrected. [What did we correct? –
LRFC] Stephen reported on our finances, then we moved to convention
reports. Since neither Jeff nor Drew were present, we had a very brief
report on 2015 on some details Laura was working on. For 2016, Laura had
checked in with all her GoHs. Lydia is still a tentative yes, music and
authors are still a go. She plans to have a draft of contracts done by
next meeting. She is working on a media guest, but not saying who yet.
There was no Board or committee reports, as none of them had met in the
last month.

In Old Business we briefly talked about the New Year's Eve party and
Anniversary party, then moved to nominations, which are detailed
separately below. We reminded everyone about the proposed changes to the
Bylaws. The only New Business we had was a question by Kat as to whether
the Bylaws cover what happens if a multi-year officer (such as ConChair)
fails to pay dues. Answer: They've resigned from the club, making them
ineligible for office, at which point we follow the Bylaws on replacing
that officer.

There were announcements, none of which is really relevant, other than a
brief reminder that folks should pay their dues (You can do so via
PayPal!) and that there would be new member cards in January. That was it
for November's business meeting, and we proceeded to have a good time at
the Procrastinators' Halloween Party.

Don't Forget!

Elections for Club Office occur this month. Anyone who has been a member
for two full years immediately prior to the election (in this election,
that would mean all of 2013 and 2014) and will be 18 or older by the
January meeting is eligible to run for any office except Chairman of the
Board, which has an additional requirement that the nominee has previously
held club office. A person may run for and hold more than one office,
except for Chairman of the Board, who cannot hold another office while
Chairman. Any current member may nominate someone (including him/herself)
for office, or second a nomination. In order to appear on the ballot, a
person must fulfill the membership and age requirements, be nominated and
seconded, and accept the nomination either at a meeting or via email or
other communication with the Election Officer. (Nope, you can't railroad
someone into office.)

===================================

Summary of the November Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met November 15. The previous minutes were approved as
published. We got a brief report on the various financial accounts, then
moved to a discussion of why we charged to cover our PayPal fees for
membership dues, but not for convention badges as it seemed inconsistent
and also discouraged people from paying their dues via PayPal which often
results in more work for the Treasurer at the January meeting. The Board
voted to drop the fee. Stephen is also still working on getting all the
paperwork straightened out for our incorporation.

Drew reviewed InCon 2014: We had a good time. We may have lost a little
money. It shouldn't be too detrimental. We grew. Badges in the 750s versus
680s the year before. We could have lost money because we tried new
things. We'll go crazy with social media from here on out. We learned some
things. For 2015, Jeff has an invitation out for a Science GoH. He's
getting in touch with the Welcome to Nightvale people. We discussed a room
party contest, hotel contracts, filling some holes in the ConCom. For
2016, Laura's still in the process of doing the drafts of contracts. Still
has a couple of people she'd like to invite, including a media GoH. Jeff
will get Laura info for an agent we've worked with in the past.

We ran through plans for the upcoming Anniversary and New Year's Eve
parties, briefly touched on the elections and Bylaws changes, and then
moved to future meeting dates. They are: January 3, February 7, March 7,
April 11 (moved due to Easter weekend), May 2, June 6, August 8 (moved due
to GenCon, After-the-Con Bash September 12 (we never do the Bash on Labor
day weekend, so it's almost always the second Saturday), October 3,
November 7, and December 5. And that was it for the Board meeting!

===================================

Current Nominations for Office
 (Not including Declines)

InConJunction 37 (2017) ConChair
   Joe Greene (Accepted via email)
   Melissa Kocias
   Kat Robertson
   Mike Cowper (Thinking about it)

Chairman of the Board
   Andy Andrews
   Lynette Cowper

President
   Lynette Cowper
   Mike Cowper
   Melissa Kocias

Vice President
   Lynette Cowper
   Reed Hartman
   Kim Richey (Is still thinking about it.)

Secretary
   Southwell (Kai) Cowper
   Beckie Margedant
   Ricky Lile (Thinking about it)

Treasurer
   Stephen Kendall

Sergeant-at-Arms
   Jeremy Hanna
   Reed Hartman
   Ricky Lile
   Bob Richey

===================================

Recommendations of the Bylaws Caucus
 by Beckie Margedant

Change Treasurer paragraph IV F, first sentence, to
   “The duties of the Club Treasurer shall be to maintain the funds of the
Club and to report on them at each regular meeting. The Club Treasurer
shall also ensure the collection of all debts, paying of all bills, the
keeping of all the accounts of the Club, and the preparation and filing
of all taxes and incorporation papers before the end of their term.”

Add at end of all Officer duties (Paragraph IV, subparas B, C, D, E, F, G,
and H) [This varies a bit with the phrasing of the specific paragraph.]:
   “... and orient the incoming [specific officer position] for his/her
responsibilities, and turn over all materials, records, and accounts in
a timely manner.”

Add to Chairman of the Board duties, paragraph IV, Subpara B, after
“report to the Membership about Board business at meetings of the Club;”
and before the newly proposed “... and orient the incoming...”:
   “... perform banking functions if the Treasurer is unavailable;”

===================================

The Latest Awards

   World Fantasy Awards 2014
   World Fantasy Convention, Washington, DC
   November 9, 2014
   Eligibility Year: 2013

   Life Achievement
      Winner: Ellen Datlow
      Winner: Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

   Novel
      Winner: A Stranger in Olondria, Sofia Samatar
      Dust Devil on a Quiet Street, Richard Bowes
      The Golem and the Jinni, Helene Wecker
      The Land Across, Gene Wolfe
      A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent, Marie Brennan
      The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman

   Novella
      Winner: “Wakulla Springs”, Andy Duncan & Ellen Klages
      Black Helicopters, Caitlín R. Kiernan
      “Burning Girls”, Veronica Schanoes
      Six-Gun Snow White, Catherynne M. Valente
      “The Sun and I”, K. J. Parker

   Short Fiction
      Winner: “The Prayer of Ninety Cats”, Caitlín R. Kiernan
      “Effigy Nights”, Yoon Ha Lee
      “If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love”, Rachel Swirsky
      “The Ink Readers of Doi Saket”, Thomas Olde Heuvelt
      “Selkie Stories Are for Losers”, Sofia Samatar

   Anthology
      Winner: Dangerous Women, George R. R. Martin & Gardner Dozois, eds.
      End of the Road, Jonathan Oliver, ed.
      Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy, Jonathan
Strahan, ed.
      Flotsam Fantastique: The Souvenir Book of World Fantasy Convention
2013, Stephen Jones, ed.
      Queen Victoria's Book of Spells, Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, eds.
      xo Orpheus: Fifty New Myths, Kate Bernheimer, ed.

   Collection
      Winner: The Ape's Wife and Other Stories, Caitlín R. Kiernan
      The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All and Other Stories, Laird Barron
      Flowers of the Sea, Reggie Oliver
      How the World Became Quiet, Rachel Swirsky
      North American Lake Monsters, Nathan Ballingrud

   Artist
      Winner: Charles Vess
      Galen Dara
      Zelda Devon
      Julie Dillon
      John Picacio

   Special Award, Professional
      Winner (tie): Irene Gallo, for art direction of Tor.com
      Winner (tie): William K. Schafer, for Subterranean Press
      John Joseph Adams, for magazine and anthology editing
      Ginjer Buchanan, for editing at Ace Books
      Jeff VanderMeer & Jeremy Zerfoss, for Wonderbook: The Illustrated
Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction
      Jerad Walters, for Centipede Press

   Special Award, Non-professional
      Winner: Kate Baker, Neil Clarke & Sean Wallace, for Clarkesworld
      Scott H. Andrews, for Beneath Ceaseless Skies
      Marc Aplin, for Fantasy-Faction
      Leslie Howle, for Clarion West administration
      Mieneke van der Salm, for A Fantastical Librarian

===================================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

January 2015
   Aaronovitch, Ben • Foxglove Summer • (DAW)
   + Asher, Neal • The Technician • (Skyhorse/Night Shade Books, tpb)
   Black, Holly • The Darkest Part of the Forest • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya,
hc)
   Brown, Pierce • Golden Son • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Chu, Wesley • The Rebirths of Tao • (Angry Robot US)
   Grahame-Smith, Seth • The Last American Vampire • (Grand Central, hc)
   Kimbriel, Katharine Eliska • Spiral Path • (Book View Café, tpb)
   + Lord, Karen • The Galaxy Game • (Ballantine Del Rey, tpb)
   Meynard, Yves • Angels & Exiles • (ChiZine Publications, cln, tpb)
   Meynard, Yves • Angels & Exiles • (ChiZine Publications, tpb)
   Moorcock, Michael • The Whispering Swarm • (Tor, hc)
   Priest, Cherie • Jacaranda • (Subterranean Press, hc)
   Sanderson, Brandon • Firefight • (Random House/Delacorte, nvl-ya, hc)
   Shannon, Samantha • The Mime Order • (Bloomsbury, hc)
   Tem, Melanie • The Yellow Wood • (ChiZine Publications, nvl-ya, tpb)
   Van Eekhout, Greg • Pacific Fire • (Tor, hc)
   Walton, Jo • The Just City • (Tor, hc)

February 2015
   Abercrombie, Joe • Half the World • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Adams, John Joseph, ed. • Wastelands II: More Stories of the Apocalypse
•(Titan US, anth)
   Armstrong, Kelley • Forsaken • (Subterranean, hc)
   + Asher, Neal • The Gabble and Other Stories • (Skyhorse/Night Shade
Books, tpb)
   Bear, Elizabeth • Karen Memory • (Tor, hc)
   Cole, Myke • Gemini Cell • (Ace)
   Duncan, Rod • Unseemly Science • (Angry Robot US)
   Elliott, Kate • The Very Best of Kate Elliott • (Tachyon Publications,
cln, tpb)
   + Elliott, Will • Shadow • (Tor, hc)
   Enge, James • The Wide World's End • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Fox, Andrew • Hunt the Fat White Vampire • (MonstraCity Press, tpb)
   Gaiman, Neil • Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Discoveries
•(HarperCollins/Morrow, cln, tpb)
   Lethem, Jonathan • Lucky Alan and Other Stories • (Random
House/Doubleday, cln, hc)
   Link, Kelly • Get in Trouble • (Random House, cln, hc)
   North, Claire • Touch • (Little, Brown/Redhook, hc)
   + Pinborough, Sarah • Murder • (Quercus/Jo Fletcher US, hc)
   + Shan, Darren • Zom-B #10 • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya, hc)
   VanderMeer, Ann, & Jeff VanderMeer, eds. • Sisters of the Revolution: A
Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology • (PM Press, anth, tpb)

===================================

Mark Your Calendars

January 2015

   1-4: Ichibancon - Concord, NC

   2: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   2: The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death
   2-4: Anime Kaiju - Nashville, TN
   2-4: Anime-Zap! - East Peoria, IL
   2-4: Kollision Con - Rosemont, IL
   2-4: LI Quest – Holtsville, New York

   3: CoJ meeting and elections - VMCC
   3-4: Quadrantids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   9-10: EVERCON - Weston, WI
   9-10: KotoriCon - Sewell, NJ
   9-10: ShadowCon - Memphis, TN
   9-11: Ahn!Con - Kansas City, MO
   9-11: GAFilk - Atlanta, GA
   9-11: Sukoshi Con: Pokécon - Louisville, KY

   10: IAS Meeting & Public Lecture - Holcomb Observatory

   11: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   16: blackhat
   16: Spare Parts
   16-18: ConFusion - Detroit, MI
   16-18: DeCONPression - Worthington, OH
   16-18: MarsCon - Williamsburg, VA
   16-18: Siege of Augusta - Augusta, GA
   16-19: Arisia - Boston, MA
   16-19: SCARAB Gaming Convention - Columbia, SC

   17-18: Murfreesboro Anime and Comic Kon - Murfreesboro, TN

   22-25: BROGFest - Summerville, SC

   24-25: Setsucon - State College, PA

   25: Rob Pyatt's birthday

   30: The Lazarus Effect
   30: Project Almanac
   30-2/1: Chattacon - Chattanooga, TN
   30-2/1: Ohayocon - Columbus, OH

February 2015

   6: Ren Cowper's birthday
   6: Jupiter Ascending
   6: Seventh Son
   6: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6: Jupiter at Opposition - Look, up in the sky!
   6-8: AlmaCon - Alma, MI
   6-8: Days of the Dead Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
   6-8: Marmalade Dog - Kalamazoo, MI
   6-8: Star City Anime - Roanoke, VA
   6-8: SuperCon - Minneapolis, MN
   6-8: Winter War - Champaign, IL
   6-9: Marmalade Dog 20 – Kalamazoo, Michigan

   7: CoJ meeting - VMCC
   7: IAS Meeting & Public Lecture - Holcomb Observatory

   8: Lynette R. F. Cowper's birthday
   8: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   9: Kyle Casteel's birthday

   12-15: Capricon - Wheeling, IL

   13-15: Anime Milwaukee - Milwaukee, WI
   13-15: Boskone - Boston, MA
   13-15: Con of the North – Plymouth, MN
   13-15: Farpoint - Lutherville-Timonium, MD
   13-15: Katsucon - National Harbor, MD
   13-15: Munchkin World NYC – New York City, NY

   19-22: ConCave - Bowling Green, KY
   19-22: Dreamation - Morristown, NJ
   19-22: Total Confusion - Mansfield, MA

   20: Hot Tub Time Machine 2
   20-22: Anime Crossroads - Wyndham Indianapolis West
   20-22: Visioncon - Springfield, MO

   21: NWI Comic Con - Shererville, IN
   21-22: ETSUCon - Johnson City, TN

   22: Conjunction of Venus and Mars - Look, up in the sky!

   26: Samantha Crawford's birthday

   27: What We Do in the Shadows
   27-28: Great Lakes Comic-Con - Warren, MI
   27-3/1: Con Nooga - Chattanooga, TN
   27-3/1: Culture Shock Con - Wyndham Indianapolis West
   27-3/1: Fire & Ice - Manitowoc. WI
   27-3/1: Kami-Con - Birmingham, AL
   27-3/1: MystiCon - Roanoke, VA
   27-3/1: Shumatsucon - Columbus, OH

   28(29): Howard Tayler's birthday
   28-3/2: Genericon - Troy, NY

March 2015

   5-8: Cold Wars - Lancaster, PA

   6: Chappie
   6: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6-8: GnomeCon - Savannah, GA
   6-8: Kawa Kon - St. Louis, MO
   6-8: MarsCon - Bloomingon, MN
   6-8: PAX East – Boston, MA
   6-8: Plattecon - Platteville, WI

   7: CoJ meeting - VMCC
   7: South Bend Comic Book Con - South Bend, IN

   8: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library
   8: Ash Comic Book Show - Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center

   12: Randy Porter's birthday
   12-15: Operacon - Milwaukee, WI

   13: Cinderella
   13: Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
   13: Cathy Dailey's birthday
   13: Janet Dailey's birthday
   13-15: A&G Con - Covington, KY
   13-15: Cleveland ConCoction - Cleveland, OH
   13-15: Genericon - Troy, NY
   13-15: Indiana Comic Con - Indianapolis Convention Center
   13-15: Lexington Comic and Toy Convention - Lexington, KY
   13-15: Naka-Kon - Overland Park, KS
   13-15: NeoAniCon - Linthicum, MD
   13-15: Planet Comicon, Kansas City - Kansas City, MO
   13-15: Tennessee Game Days – Franklin, TN
   13-15: Triad Anime Convention - Winston-Salem, NC
   13-15: TwisterCon 2015 – Midwest City, OK

   14: IAS Meeting & Public Lecture - Holcomb Observatory

   15: Arabella Rollison's birthday

   17: Amanda Dailey-Weaver's birthday
   17: Dee Ann Moore's birthday
   17: Laura and Nathan Terhune's anniversary

   19-22: AdeptiCon - Lombard, IL

   20: Insurgent
   20: Total Solar Eclipse - Look. up in the sky!
   20-22: CoastCon - Biloxi, MS
   20-22: Kigacon - Newport News, VA
   20-22: Kitsune Kon - Green Bay, WI
   20-22: MidSouthCon - Memphis, TN
   20-22: MillenniCon - Cincinnati, OH
   20-22: Shuto Con - Lansing, MI
   20-22: Sukoshi Con: Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
   20-22: Tri City Anime Con - Johnson City, TN

   21: Mike & Lynette Cowper's anniversary
   21-22: SC Comicon - Greenville, SC

   25: Neil Thompson's birthday

   26: Chris Canary's birthday
   26-29: Gary Con - Lake Geneva, WI

   27-29: Anime Detour - Bloomington, MN
   27-29: Conbust - Northampton, MA
   27-29: EvilleCon - Evansville, IN
   27-29: GZG ECC - Owego, NY
   27-29: SIMCON - Rochester, NY
   27-29: Zenkaikon - Lancaster, PA

   28-29: Myrtle Beach Comic Con - Myrtle Beach, SC

===================================

January Meeting Agenda

 The Circle of Janus
 January 3, 2015

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests and member attendance
    November meeting minutes
 Old Business (Due to the length of time elections take, they will be
interspersed with other business)
    Bylaws changes
    Nominations & Elections-- Election Officer runs these
       InConJunction 37 ConChair
          Nominees
             Joe Greene
             Melissa Kocias
             Kat Robertson
             Mike Cowper (Thinking about it)
             Anyone else?
          Voting
       Chairman of the Board (2-year position)
          Nominees
             Andy Andrews
             Lynette Cowper
             Anyone else?
          Voting
       President
          Nominees
             Lynette Cowper
             Mike Cowper
             Melissa Kocias
             Anyone else?
          Voting
       Vice President
[...]
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 35
    Convention Report, InConJunction 36
    Board Report
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Member Services
       Audit Committee
       Archivist
       Quartermaster
       Outreach Coordinator
       Other Communications
 Old Business
    Member Activities
       January non-meeting?
       February after-meeting
    Anything else?
 New Business
    Anything?
 Announcements
 Close of meeting – Chaos

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus is Saturday, January 3, 2015,
at Valley Mills Christian Church, 5555 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis,
IN, starting at 7:00 pm. A ConCom meeting will precede it at 5:00 pm.
Don't forget elections and voting to amend the Bylaws happen this
month!

===================================

Officers
   Board Chairman – Andy Andrews
   President – Mike Cowper
   Vice-President – Lynette Cowper
   Secretary – Beckie Margedant
   Treasurer – Stephen Kendall
   Sergeant at Arms – Reed Hartman
   InConJunction 34 ConChair – Andrew Happli
   InConJunction 35 ConChair – Jeff Thompson
   InConJunction 36 ConChair – Laura Edwards

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
   Lynette R. F. Cowper & Beckie Margedant, Editors

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo