[CircularOfJanus] February 2015 Circular of Janus

circleofjanusnewsletter at lists.inconjunction.org circleofjanusnewsletter at lists.inconjunction.org
Sat Jan 31 12:00:41 EST 2015

Circle of Janus Science Fiction Club of Indiana
 The Circular of Janus
 February 2015
 Volume 36, Issue 2

Contents:
   Summary of the January Club Meeting – Lynette Cowper
   Summary of the January Board Meeting – Lynette Cowper
   New Books – from Locus
   Meeting Agenda
   Mark Your Calendars
   A Few Cool Things to Do Near Indy
   The Latest Awards News
   Meeting Info & Club Officers

===================================

Summary of the January Club Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The club met on January 3 at Valley Mills Christian Church. All officers
except Jeff Thompson, ConChair 2015, were present. According to the
sign-in sheet, we had 39 voting members. We also had several kids. We had
two guests-- Renee and Laura-- and two brand new members, Alicia and Jen,
who showed up at their very first meeting and immediately joined. (Welcome
to the club!)

The meeting switched between the election and all the other meeting stuff,
which is confusing to try and read, so we're covering things topically
instead here.

We approved the November meeting minutes with the addition of the notation
that last initials should be used to clarify which Laura or Mike or so on
was doing what. We got a Treasurer's Report, then convention reports. Jeff
for 2015 is still working on his last GoH and his second charity. Laura
for 2016 announced that Rockne O'Bannon has agreed to be her Media GoH.
Andy summarized the last Board meeting. Laura is still looking for someone
to take over Outreach.

In Old Business, we voted in three Bylaws changes-- adding the duty for
all officers to orient their incoming replacement; changing the
Treasurer's duties to say he's responsible for overseeing the accounts
rather than having to do everything himself; and adding performing banking
function to the Chairman of the Board duties when the Treasurer is
unavailable.

Our elections took a freakishly long time with several run-offs. We ended
up with Joe Greene as ConChair for 2017, Andy Andrews continuing as
Chairman of the Board, Mel Kocias as President, Kim Richey as
Vice-President, Beckie Margedant continuing as Secretary, Stephen Kendall
continuing as Treasurer, and Lynette Cowper as Sergeant-at-Arms. We
discussed the New Year's Eve party and whether we wanted to do anything
for after the meeting in February. We had membership cards all ready to be
signed.

There was no New Business. In Announcements, INWAP games in launching a
Kickstarter for Seven Sins. Dillan has a new job. InConJunction
Programming is looking for panel suggestions and Gaming for games. The
Good Omens radio play came out over Christmas. Anime Crossroads in Feb
20-22. Anjala's workplace, Out of the Box, is looking for employees. John
B is looking for writing or editorial work. Randy said Ascension was bad.
Deb Hunt was excited about all the new faces in the club. Joe wants to do
a Linux talk in February. Tessa Greene has her first job! Kat's son Alex
is signing the paperwork to take over the gardening and landscaping
business. Members are welcome to attend Board meetings. We ran through how
people came to the club. And Mike thanked everyone for their patience.
Brian and Katherine may be moving to Omaha because they have job offers
there and no work here. Brian is also applying for disability.

We got done at 9:55pm – the longest meeting we've ever had.

===================================

Summary of the January Board Meeting
 by Lynette Cowper

The Board met January 15 at Valley Mills. All current Officers, except
ConChair 2015 Jeff Thompson, were present as well as former President Mike
Cowper, former Sergeant-at-Arms Reed Hartman, InConJunction 2014 ConChair
Drew Happli, and members Jeremy Murphy, Samantha Hartman, and Debbie
Happli. The November minutes were approved as published. We had a very
long Treasurer's report going over all the numbers from InConJunction
2014, best financial practices for the con in the future, and current
accounts.

We moved on to other reports. For 2015, Jeff had emailed a report. He's
given up on Mary Roach and so is looking into alternatives. Still talking
to the Welcome to Night Vale people. He's looking at doing more
promotional things at cons. Also Arlan Andrews and Chris Dunn will be
coming. For 2016, Laura's working on getting contracts out, is looking
into getting ribbons which would work for multiple years, and is excited
about having Rockne O'Bannon as Media GoH. For 2017, Joe has touched base
with the folks he'd talked to before the elections and the ones he's
talked to are all still interested. He's looking into his charities and a
possible Music GoH.

In Old Business, we briefly talked about the Anniversary and New Year's
Eve parties and how many attended, whether there was enough food, and so
on. Then we talked about how to shorten the election meetings, most likely
by using instant run-offs and putting time limits on speeches and Q&As,
and encouraging those who can to submit stump speeches to the Circular.

In New Business, we checked that Membership Cards were ready to go, and
then discussed the current lack of interest in anyone taking over
Outreach, whether we should submit for the early bird registration for
Indy Pride or wait till we were sure we had someone on board to run it,
and whether we get enough return on the investment to continue with it.
The same concerns apply to Pagan Pride, but as it's in September, it's not
so critical to decide now. We then discussed future Board meeting dates
and venues, and tentatively decided on (all at Valley Mills from 11am to
1pm unless otherwise noted): March 28th, May 16th, June 20th (at hotel,
time TBA), July 25th, September 19th, and November 21st. We discussed what
topics needed covered at the March Board meeting, and that was it!

===================================

New Books
 From locusmag.com

February 2015
   Abercrombie, Joe • Half the World • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Adams, John Joseph, ed. • Wastelands II: More Stories of the Apocalypse
•(Titan US, anth)
   Armstrong, Kelley • Forsaken • (Subterranean, hc)
   + Asher, Neal • The Gabble and Other Stories • (Skyhorse/Night Shade
Books, tpb)
   Bear, Elizabeth • Karen Memory • (Tor, hc)
   Cole, Myke • Gemini Cell • (Ace)
   Duncan, Rod • Unseemly Science • (Angry Robot US)
   Elliott, Kate • The Very Best of Kate Elliott • (Tachyon Publications,
cln, tpb)
   + Elliott, Will • Shadow • (Tor, hc)
   Enge, James • The Wide World's End • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Fox, Andrew • Hunt the Fat White Vampire • (MonstraCity Press, tpb)
   Gaiman, Neil • Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Discoveries
•(HarperCollins/Morrow, cln, tpb)
   Lethem, Jonathan • Lucky Alan and Other Stories • (Random
House/Doubleday, cln, hc)
   Link, Kelly • Get in Trouble • (Random House, cln, hc)
   North, Claire • Touch • (Little, Brown/Redhook, hc)
   + Pinborough, Sarah • Murder • (Quercus/Jo Fletcher US, hc)
   + Shan, Darren • Zom-B #10 • (Little, Brown, nvl-ya, hc)
   VanderMeer, Ann, & Jeff VanderMeer, eds. • Sisters of the Revolution: A
Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology • (PM Press, anth, tpb)

March 2015
   Adams, John Joseph, ed. • Operation Arcana • (Baen, anth, tpb)
   Bishop, Anne • Vision in Silver • (Penguin/Roc, hc)
   Brennan, Marie • Voyage of the Basilisk • (Tor, hc)
   Brett, Peter V. • The Skull Throne • (Ballantine Del Rey, hc)
   Briggs, Patricia • Dead Heat • (Ace, hc)
   Carriger, Gail • Prudence • (Orbit US, hc)
   Cooper, Brenda • Edge of Dark • (Prometheus/Pyr, tpb)
   Datlow, Ellen, ed. • The Doll Collection • (Tor, anth, hc)
   Grant, Mira • Rolling in the Deep • (Subterranean Press, hc)
   Gregory, Daryl • Harrison Squared • (Tor, hc)
   + Joshi, S. T., ed. • Black Wings of Cthulhu, Volume Three • (Titan US,
anth, tpb)
   Kinsella, W. P. • The Very Best of W. P. Kinsella • (Tachyon
Publications, cln, tpb)
   Leigh, Stephen • The Crow of Connemara • (DAW, hc)
   Lovegrove, James • World of Water • (Rebellion/Solaris US)
   Martin, George R. R., & Gardner Dozois, eds. • Old Venus • (Bantam,
anth, hc)
   McGuire, Seanan • Pocket Apocalypse • (DAW)
   Modesitt, L. E., Jr. • Madness in Solidar • (Tor, hc)
   Simmons, Dan • The Fifth Heart • (Little, Brown, hc)
   Teppo, Mark, ed. • Thirteen: Stories of Transformation • (Resurrection
House/Underland Press, anth, tpb)
   Tregillis, Ian • The Mechanical • (Orbit US, tpb)
   Valentine, Genevieve • Persona • (Simon & Schuster/Saga Press, hc)
   Vance, Jack • The Early Jack Vance, Volume Five: Grand Crusades
•(Subterranean Press, cln, hc)

===================================

February Meeting Agenda
 The Circle of Janus
 February Meeting
 February 7, 2015

 Opening of Meeting (7:00pm)
    Introduction of guests
    Officer and member attendance
    Passing out Treasurer's Report (if available)
    January meeting minutes
 Communications
    Treasurer's Report
    Convention Report, InConJunction 35
    Convention Report, InConJunction 36
    Convention Report, InConJunction 37
    Board Report
    Committee Reports, if needed
       Member Services Report
       Member Activities Report
       Audit Committee
       Archivist
       Quartermaster
       Outreach Coordinator
    Other Communications
 Old Business
    Bylaws Changes
       Does anyone need printed copy of the current Bylaws?
    Membership Cards
    Kinsey SF Art Installation
 New Business
    Appointments
       Board Appointments
          Audit Committee
          Club and Convention Archivist
          Outreach Committee
          Webmaster
          Promotional Events Coordinator
          Online Coordinator
          Indianapolis-Area Club & Con Ambassador
          Print Buyer
          Hotel Liaison
       Presidential Appointments
          Member activities
          Member services
             Welcoming committee or coordinator
          Newsletter editor
          Club Quartermaster
          Club historian
          Meeting Location Search Committee
    Activities
       February Non-meeting
       March Post-Meeting
       March Non-meeting
       April Post-Meeting
    Election Procedures
 Announcements
 Close of meeting – Chaos

Tired of battling Microsoft Windows for control of your computer? Ready
for an alternative, but don't want to lose your existing software? We'll
show you how to use Linux, Wine, and other Open Source tools to keep using
them and increase what your computer can do!

===================================

Mark Your Calendars

February 2015

   5-8: Winter Fantasy - Fort Wayne, IN

   6: Ren Cowper's birthday
   6: Jupiter Ascending
   6: Seventh Son
   6: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6: Jupiter at Opposition - Look, up in the sky!
   6-8: AlmaCon - Alma, MI
   6-8: Days of the Dead Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
   6-8: Star City Anime - Roanoke, VA
   6-8: SuperCon - Minneapolis, MN
   6-8: Williamsburg Muster - Williamsburg, VA
   6-8: Winter War - Champaign, IL
   6-8: Wizard World Convention - Madison, WI
   6-9: Marmalade Dog – Kalamazoo, MI
   6-16: Boston SF Film Festival - Somerville, MA

   7: CoJ meeting - VMCC
   7: IAS Meeting & Public Lecture - Holcomb Observatory

   8: Lynette R. F. Cowper's birthday
   8: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   9: Kyle Casteel's birthday

   12-15: Capricon - Wheeling, IL

   13: What We Do in the Shadows
   13-15: Anime Milwaukee - Milwaukee, WI
   13-15: Boskone - Boston, MA
   13-15: Con of the North – Plymouth, MN
   13-15: Farpoint - Lutherville-Timonium, MD
   13-15: Katsucon - National Harbor, MD
   13-15: Munchkin World NYC – New York City, NY

   19-22: ConCave - Bowling Green, KY
   19-22: Dreamation - Morristown, NJ
   19-22: Total Confusion - Mansfield, MA

   20: Hot Tub Time Machine 2
   20-22: Anime Crossroads - Wyndham Indianapolis West
   20-22: BashCon - Toledo, OH
   20-22: Visioncon - Springfield, MO

   21: NWI Comic Con - Shererville, IN
   21-22: ETSUCon - Johnson City, TN

   22: Conjunction of Venus and Mars - Look, up in the sky!

   23-3/1: PrezCon - Charlottesville, VA

   26: Samantha Crawford's birthday

   27:  The Lazarus Effect
   27-28: Great Lakes Comic-Con - Warren, MI
   27-3/1: Con Nooga - Chattanooga, TN
   27-3/1: Culture Shock Con - Wyndham Indianapolis West
   27-3/1: Fire & Ice - Manitowoc. WI
   27-3/1: Kami-Con - Birmingham, AL
   27-3/1: MystiCon - Roanoke, VA
   27-3/1: Shumatsucon - Columbus, OH

   28(29): Howard Tayler's birthday

March 2015

   5-8: Cold Wars - Lancaster, PA

   6: Chappie
   6: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   6-8: GAD-CON - Baltimore, MD
   6-8: GnomeCon - Savannah, GA
   6-8: Kawa Kon - St. Louis, MO
   6-8: MarsCon - Bloomingon, MN
   6-8: PAX East – Boston, MA
   6-8: Plattecon - Platteville, WI
   6-8: WTH Con - Greensboro, NC

   7: CoJ meeting - VMCC
   7: South Bend Comic Book Con - South Bend, IN

   8: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library
   8: Ash Comic Book Show - Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center

   12: Randy Porter's birthday
   12-15: Operacon - Milwaukee, WI

   13: Cinderella
   13: Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
   13: Cathy Dailey's birthday
   13: Janet Dailey's birthday
   13-15: A&G Con - Covington, KY
   13-15: Cleveland ConCoction - Cleveland, OH
   13-15: COSCON - Butler, PA
   13-15: Genericon - Troy, NY
   13-15: Indiana Comic Con - Indianapolis Convention Center
   13-15: Lexington Comic and Toy Convention - Lexington, KY
   13-15: Madicon - Harrisonburg, VA
   13-15: Naka-Kon - Overland Park, KS
   13-15: NeoAniCon - Linthicum, MD
   13-15: Planet Comicon, Kansas City - Kansas City, MO
   13-15: PrinceCon - Princeton, NJ
   13-15: Tennessee Game Days – Franklin, TN
   13-15: Triad Anime Convention - Winston-Salem, NC
   13-15: TwisterCon 2015 – Midwest City, OK

   14: IAS Meeting & Public Lecture - Holcomb Observatory

   15: Arabella Rollison's birthday

   17: David Happli's birthday
   17: Amanda Dailey-Weaver's birthday
   17: Dee Ann Moore's birthday
   17: Laura and Nathan Terhune's anniversary

   19-22: AdeptiCon - Lombard, IL
   19-22: Chi-Fi - Chicago, IL

   20: Insurgent
   20: Total Solar Eclipse - Look. up in the sky!
   20-22: CoastCon - Biloxi, MS
   20-22: Kigacon - Newport News, VA
   20-22: Kitsune Kon - Green Bay, WI
   20-22: MACE West - Hickory, NC
   20-22: MidSouthCon - Memphis, TN
   20-22: MillenniCon - Cincinnati, OH
   20-22: Shuto Con - Lansing, MI
   20-22: Sukoshi Con: Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
   20-22: Tri City Anime Con - Johnson City, TN
   20-22: Vericon - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA

   21: Mike & Lynette Cowper's anniversary
   21-22: SC Comicon - Greenville, SC

   24-28: Ray Bradbury Film Series - Bloomington, IN

   25: Neil Thompson's birthday

   26: Chris Canary's birthday
   26-29: Ambercon - Detroit, MI
   26-29: Gary Con - Lake Geneva, WI

   27-29: Anime Detour - Bloomington, MN
   27-29: Conbust - Northampton, MA
   27-29: EvilleCon - Evansville, IN
   27-29: GZG ECC - Owego, NY
   27-29: SIMCON - Rochester, NY
   27-29: Zenkaikon - Lancaster, PA

   28: CoJ Board Meeting – VMCC
   28-29: Conference On Middle-earth - Albany, NY
   28-29: Myrtle Beach Comic Con - Myrtle Beach, SC

April 2015

   1: Judy Eudaly's birthday

   2-5: Frolicon - Atlanta, GA
   2-5: Minicon - Minneapolis, MN

   3: Whoosier Network meeting - LifeJourney Church
   3-5: Anime Boston - Boston, MA
   3-5: Anime Punch - Columbus, OH
   3-5: ConGlomeration - Louisville, KY
   3-5: Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Nashville, TN
   3-5: T-MODE - Rockville, MD
   3-5: Taiga Con - Atlanta, GA

   4: Mark Bischoff's birthday
   4: Total Lunar Eclipse - Look, up in the sky!

   9-12: Furry Weekend Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

   10: Kyra Shidler's birthday
   10-12: Ad Astra – Toronto, ON
   10-12: CODCON XX - Glen Ellyn, IL
   10-12: Maelstrom - Morristown, NJ
   10-12: Midwest Media Expo - Detroit, MI
   10-12: Odyssey Con - Madison, WI
   10-12: Protospiel – Milwaukee - Milwaukee, WI
   10-12: Steel City Con - Monroeville, PA

   11: CoJ meeting - VMCC (Note the date!)
   11: Kim Richey's birthday
   11: IAS Meeting & Public Lecture - Holcomb Observatory
   11-12: East Coast Comicon - Secaucus, NJ

   12: IAC Meeting - Glendale Library

   15: Melissa Kocias's birthday

   16-19: FilKONtario - Mississauga, ON
   16-19: Tekkoshocon - Pittsburgh, PA

   17: Selfless
   17-18: Albany Games Fest - Albany, NY
   17-19: 1d4Con 2015 – Winchester, VA
   17-19: Anime St. Louis - Collinsville, IL
   17-19: LexiCon Tabletop Gaming Convention - Lexington, KY
   17-19 : New England Super Megafest Comic-Con - Marlborough, MA
   17-19: Who's Yer Con - Wyndham Indianapolis West
   17-19: Windy City Pulp & Paperback Convention - Lombard, IL

   18-19: NashiCon - Columbia, SC
   18-19: Shikacon - Bristol, VA
   18-19: Tora-Con - Rochester, NY

   19: Jessica Carrico's birthday

   22: Mark Racop's birthday
   22-23: Lyrids Meteor Shower - Look, up in the sky!

   23: Jeff Thompson's birthday

   24: Susan Parker's birthday
   24-26: LittleWars - St. Charles, IL
   24-26: MepaCon - Scranton, PA
   24-26: No Brand Con - Eau Claire, WI
   24-26: Penguicon - Southfield, MI
   24-26: RavenCon - Richmond, VA
   24-26: TrekTrax Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

   25: McCloud Nature Park Stargaze - North Salem, IN

   28: Brian Davidson's birthday

   29: Theresa Shidler's birthday
   29: Harry Bunn's birthday

===================================

A Few Cool Things to Do in Indy and Nearby

 Ray Bradbury: From Science to the Supernatural: Ray Bradbury was one of
the best-known science fiction and fantasy writers of our time, producing
such enduring works as The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, and The
Illustrated Man. This series explores the breadth of Bradbury’s
imaginative writing on screen. All screenings will have academic
introductions and many will be followed by discussions.
    Tuesday March 24, 7:00pm: Bradbury TV and Shorts Program (1962-1989);
Thursday March 26, 7:00pm: It Came From Outer Space - 3D (1953);
Friday March 27, 6:30pm: A Sound of Different Drummers (1957) and
9:30pm: Fahrenheit 451 (1966); Saturday March 28, 3:00pm: Moby Dick
(1956) and 6:30pm: Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983).
    Indiana University Cinema, 1213 E 7th St, Bloomington, Indiana 47405.
Free, but requires tickets.

 The Giver: No pain. No desire. No choice. Sameness reigns in a utopian
society set in the not-too-distant future. But for twelve-year-old Jonas,
his controlled and predictable life is unraveling before his eyes. Based
on the award-winning book by Lois Lowry, this complex and controversial
story forces us all to question the dangers of conformity and the power
of truth.
    Fridays and Saturdays through February 22
    Indiana Repertory Theatre, Adult tickets: $25 - $47, Student tickets: $20

 Worlds of Chesley Bonestell: The "Father of Modern Space Art," American
painter, designer and illustrator, Chesley Bonestell, transports visitors
into the future in this exhibition featuring eleven paintings as well as
numerous examples of the artist’s work in popular culture.
    Through April 26 (closed from February 16 through 20 so exhibit staff
can switch out paintings).
    Adler Planetarium, Chicago, IL

===================================

The Latest Awards News
 Philip K. Dick Award 2015

 Norwescon 38, SeaTac WA
 April 3, 2015
 Eligibility Year: 2014

Finalists
   The Book of the Unnamed Midwife, Meg Elison
   The Bullet-Catcher's Daughter, Rod Duncan
   Elysium, Jennifer Marie Brissett
   Maplecroft: The Borden Dispatches, Cherie Priest
   Memory of Water, Emmi Itäranta
   Reach for Infinity, Jonathan Strahan, ed.

Have something for the newsletter? We welcome announcements, news items,
reviews, and artwork. Email it to circularfile at circleofjanus dot org by
the Thursday before the last Saturday of the month for inclusion.

===================================

Meeting Info
   The next meeting of the Circle of Janus is Saturday, February 7, 2015,
at Valley Mills Christian Church, 5555 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis,
IN, starting at 7:00 pm. A ConCom meeting will precede it at 5:00 pm.
Don't forget there will be a Linux talk afterward.

Officers
   Board Chairman – Andy Andrews
   President – Melissa Kocias
   Vice-President – Kim Richey
   Secretary – Beckie Margedant
   Treasurer – Stephen Kendall
   Sergeant at Arms – Lynette Cowper
   InConJunction 35 ConChair – Jeff Thompson
   InConJunction 36 ConChair – Laura Edwards
   InConJunction 37 ConChair – Joe Greene

The Circular of Janus is a publication of the Circle of Janus Science
Fiction Club of Central Indiana. Subscription is included with membership,
$15.00/year. For information write to Circle of Janus, P.O. Box 68514,
Indianapolis, IN 46268-0514.
 Lynette R. F. Cowper & Beckie Margedant, Editors

--
Lynette R. F. Cowper

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and
by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." --
Galileo